International Film Festival of India
|International Film Festival of India|
Logo of International Film Festival of India
|Opening film||Kanyaka Talkies|
|Hosted by||Entertainment Society of Goa|
|Festival date||20–30 November 2013|
The International Film Festival of India (IFFI), founded in 1952, is one of the most significant film festivals in Asia. Held annually in the beach state of Goa, on the western coast of the country, the festival aims at providing a common platform for the cinemas of the world to project the excellence of the film art; contributing to the understanding and appreciation of film cultures of different nations in the context of their social and cultural ethos; and promoting friendship and cooperation among people of the world.
The festival is conducted jointly by the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting and the government of Goa. The 43rd edition of IFFI was held in Panaji, Goa, from 20 November to 30 November 2012, and was inaugurated by Akshay Kumar. The 44th Edition of IFFI would be held at Panjim Goa from November 20, 2013 with Susan Sarandon as the Chief Guest.
Ayam nijam paroveti gananā laghuchetasām, Udāracharitānām tu vasudhaiva kutumbakam
(Extract from the Vedic scripture Maha Upanishad, meaning "This is for me and that is for other – is the thinking of a narrow-minded person. For those who are broad-minded, liberals, or noble people, the entire world is a one big family.")
Nothing exemplifies the Indian notion of non-violence and peaceful coexistence as "Vasudhaiva Kutumbakam", the phrase in which IFFI and its theme are rooted.
The 1st edition of IFFI was organized by the Films Division, Government of India, with the patronage of the first Prime Minister of India. Held in Mumbai from 24 January to 1 February 1952, the Festival was subsequently taken to Madras, Delhi, Calcutta and Trivandrum. In all it had about 40 features and 100 short films. In Delhi, the IFFI was inaugurated by Prime Minister Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru on 21 February 1952.
Since its beginnings in 1952 the IFFI has been the biggest event of its type in India. Subsequent IFFIs were held in New Delhi. From the 3rd edition in January 1965, IFFI became competitive. It has since then moved to Trivandrum, capital of Kerala. In 1975 the Filmotsav, non-competitive and to be held in other filmmaking cities in alternate years, was introduced. Later, Filmotsavs were merged in IFFI. In 2004 the IFFI was moved to Goa from Trivandrum. Since then IFFI has been an annual event and competitive.
The 44th International Film Festival of India was held at Panaji, Goa from November 20 to 30. Susan Sarandon, an American actress was the chief guest at the opening ceremony and Michelle Yeoh was the chief guest at the closing ceremony on November 30.
The IFFI 2013 witnessed several things for the first time, including a film produced and directed by an Afghan director and a film from the north-eastern states of India.
The list of awards given at IFFI 2013 is as follows:
- Golden Peacock Award: Beatriz’s War
- Best Director: Kaushik Ganguli
- Special Jury Award: Thou Gild’st The Even
- Best Actor (Male): Alon Moni Aboutboul
- Best Actor (Female): Boczarska Magdalena
- Special Centenary Award: Meghe Dhaka Tara
Golden Peacock Award winners
The first Price for Best Film in 1987 was a Special Jury Award. 2006 and 2007 were also Special Jury Awards. In 2009 the Best Feature Film price was a Silver Peacock Award.
|1987||Wisdom Tree||Rajan Khosa||India|
|2003||At Five in the Afternoon||Panj é asr||Samira Makhmalbaf||Iran / France|
|2004||The Beautiful City||Shah-re ziba||Asghar Farhadi||Iran|
|2005||Iron Island||Jazireh ahani||Mohammad Rasoulof||Iran|
|2006||Forever Flows||Nirontor||Abu Sayeed||Bangladesh|
|2007||On the Wings of Dreams||Swopnodanay||Golam Rabbany Biplob||Bangladesh|
|More Than Anything in the World||Más que a nada en el mundo||Andrés León Becker / Javier Solar||Mexico|
|2008||Tulpan||Sergei Dvortsevoy||Kazakhstan / Russia|
|2009||The Other Bank||Gagma napiri||George Ovashvili||Georgia / Kazakhstan|
|2011||Porfirio||Alejandro Landes||Colombia / Argentina|
|2012||Thy Womb||Sinapupunan||Brillante Mendoza||Philippines|
|2013||Beatriz's War||A Guerra da Beatriz||Luigi Acquisto / Bety Reis||Timor-Leste|
- The first IFFI was held in 1952, and American director Frank Capra attended as a part of the US delegation
- On the eve of IFFI 2006, journalist and author Mario Cabral e Sa's book Location Goa, highlighting Goa's contribution to the Hindi film world, was released on 21 November 2006.
- Since 2004, Goa has hosted IFFI every year. This brings in more visitors to the State, and also coincides with the novenas and feast of the 16th-century Basque missionary-saint Francis Xavier.
- M. Mohan Mathews (2001). India, Facts & Figures. Sterling Publishers Pvt. Ltd. pp. 134–. ISBN 978-81-207-2285-9. Retrieved 31 October 2012.
- Gulzar; Govind Nihalani; Saibal Chatterjee (2003). Encyclopaedia of Hindi Cinema. Popular Prakashan. pp. 98–. ISBN 978-81-7991-066-5. Retrieved 31 October 2012.
- "43rd International Film Festival of India in Goa". Nov 20, 2012. Retrieved 21 November 2012.
- "Susan Sarandon to be Chief Guest at IFFI 2013 at Goa". Biharprabha News. Retrieved 17 November 2013.
- "A Festival Showcasing Talent of Lights, Camera and Action! – International Film Festival of India – 2011". Retrieved 31 October 2012.
- S. C. Bhatt, Gopal K. Bhargava (2006). Land and People of Indian States and Union Territories: In 36 Volumes. Maharashtra. Gyan Publishing House. p. 655. ISBN 978-81-7835-372-2. Retrieved 31 October 2012.
- Saverio Giovacchini; Robert Sklar (1 December 2011). Global Neorealism: The Transnational History of a Film Style. Univ. Press of Mississippi. pp. 179–. ISBN 978-1-61703-122-9. Retrieved 31 October 2012.
- Jawaharlal Nehru (1972). Selected works of Jawaharlal Nehru. Orient Longman. p. 311. ISBN 978-0-19-563745-8. Retrieved 31 October 2012.
- "IFFI 2013 to open with Malayalam Film Kanyaka Talkies". Biharprabha News. Retrieved 17 November 2013.
- "Waheeda Rehman to get Award for Film Personality of the Year at IFFI 2013". Biharprabha News. Retrieved 17 November 2013.
- "List of Awards at IFFI 2013 held in Goa". Biharprabha News. Retrieved 1 December 2013.
- Capra, Frank. The Name Above the Title: An Autobiography Vintage Bools, New York, 1985, p.43
- Official Website
- Entertainment Society of India web site
- Commemorating the first edition of IFFI