Hales Franciscan High School
|Hales Franciscan High School|
|4930 S. Cottage Grove Ave
Chicago, Illinois, 60615
|Type||Private Secondary Catholic|
|Motto||In virum perfectum
(Unto perfect manhood)
|Oversight||Archdiocese of Chicago|
|Enrollment||176 (2008)|
|Student to teacher ratio||16:1|
|Athletics conference||Chicago Catholic League|
|Accreditation(s)||North Central Association of Colleges and Schools|
Hales Franciscan High School (known simply as Hales) is a private, 4-year Roman Catholic high school located in the Bronzeville neighborhood on the south side of Chicago, Illinois, USA. It is located in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Chicago.
Since its founding, Hales Franciscan High School has celebrated African-American heritage and endeavored to instill cultural pride. Today, the school continues to be the only historically African-American, all-male, Catholic college preparatory high school in the State of Illinois and one of three such institutions in the nation. The school is a non-profit, independent high school, fully accredited by the North Central Association and certified by the Illinois State Board of Education. Beginning in the 2013-14 school year, the school became coed.
- Jack Ryan (2000–03) left the school to run for the open U.S. senate seat in the 2004 election. While he led in the polls, his campaign was derailed when evidence of marital impropriety came to light. The election was won by Barack Obama.
- Julius Carry III Actor, The Last Dragon
- James Capers Jr. NBA Referee
- JaVale McGee, NBA Forward 18th overall selection of the 2008 NBA Draft
- Derrick Blakley, CBS Chicago News Reporter
- Donald Hubert, Attorney, President of the Chicago Bar Association
Notes and References
- NCA-CASI. "NCA-Council on Accreditation and School Improvement". Retrieved 2009-07-28.[dead link]
- HFHS. "Identiry and History". Retrieved 2007-05-11.
- John S. Jackson, The Making of a Senator: Barack Obama and the 2004 Illinois Senate Race p. 12
|This Illinois school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|