Hong Kong Housing Authority
|Headquarters||33 Fat Kwong Street, Ho Man Tin|
|Agency executive||Eva Cheng, Chairwoman|
The Hong Kong Housing Authority (HA; Chinese: 香港房屋委員會) is the main provider of public housing in Hong Kong. It was established in 1973 under the Housing Ordinance and is an agency of the Government of Hong Kong. In the same year, the Resettlement Department and the Building Section of the Urban Services Department were merged to form the Housing Department, which acts as the Housing Authority's executive body.
Outside of public housing provision, the authority is also responsible for the management of public rental housing estates, interim housing estates, transit centers, demolished factories and ancillary commercial and non-domestic facilities such as shopping centres, market stalls and car parks. It also acts as the agent for the government when it comes to clearing land, and according to its own policy "preventing squatting and implementing improvements in squatter areas."
At the time of its creation, membership of the authority was made up as follows:
- Secretary of Housing (Chairman)
- Eight Urban Councillors
- Five unofficial members
- Six official members
The Authority operates the Tenants Purchase Scheme, the Home Ownership Scheme and the Private Sector Participation Scheme. They were also formerly responsible for a loan scheme targeted at low income home buyers, which provided interest-free loans of up to HK$530,000 or monthly mortgage subsidies of up to HK$3,800 to help low-income individuals or families buy their own flats.
More than 8,000 low-income families are subsidised, although the scheme was halted in 2003 pending a review. In June 2004, the definitive abolition of the scheme was announced.
Since 1 July 2007, following a reorganisation of government agencies, the role of Chairman of the Housing Authority is held by the Secretary for Transport and Housing (a position created in 2007). This role was previously held by the Secretary for Housing, Planning and Lands. The Director of Housing is Vice-chairman of the HA. Chairpersons of the Hong Kong Housing Authority have included:
- Eva Cheng 2007–present
- Michael Suen 2003-2007
- Dr Cheng Hon-kwan
- Rosanna Wong Yick-ming: 1993–2000
- David Akers-Jones: 1987-1992
The Hong Kong Housing Authority Headquarters are located at 33 Fat Kwong Street, Ho Man Tin, Kowloon. The Hong Kong Housing Authority Exhibition Centre is located nearby at 3/F, Homantin Plaza, 80 Fat Kwong Street.
- Public housing in Hong Kong
- Hong Kong Housing Society
- The Link REIT
- List of public housing estates in Hong Kong
- List of Home Ownership Scheme Courts in Hong Kong
- My Home Purchase Plan
- Public factory estates in Hong Kong
- "Memories of Home – 50 Years of Public Housing in Hong Kong"
- Hong Kong Housing Authority About Us page
- Hung, Edward (26 June 1977). "'New' Housing Authority in for bigger responsibility" (PDF). The Standard. Retrieved 2007-04-27.
- 25,000 HA flats up for sale, but no more loans, The Standard, 3 June 2004
- Press release: "STH Appointed as Housing Authority Chairman", June 2007
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hong Kong Housing Authority.|