Hong Kong Housing Authority
||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (December 2008)|
|Hong Kong Housing Authority|
|Headquarters||33 Fat Kwong Street, Ho Man Tin|
|Agency executive||Eva Cheng, Chairwoman|
The Hong Kong Housing Authority (HA; Chinese: 香港房屋委員會) is the main provider of public housing in Hong Kong. It was established in 1973 under the Housing Ordinance and is an agency of the Government of Hong Kong. In the same year, the Resettlement Department and the Building Section of the Urban Services Department were merged to form the Housing Department, which acts as the Housing Authority's executive body.
Aside of public housing, HA is responsible for the management of public rental housing estates, interim housing estates, transit centers, flatted factories and ancillary commercial and non-domestic facilities such as shopping centers, market stalls and carparks. It also acts as the agent for the government when it comes to clearing land, as according to its own words "preventing squatting and implementing improvements in squatter areas." 
At the time of the creation, members of the HKHA were as follows:
- Secretary of Housing (Chairman)
- 8 Urban Councillors
- 5 Unofficial members
- 6 Official members
The Authority it operated a loan scheme for low income home buyers, which provided interest-free loans of up to HK$530,000 or monthly mortgage subsidies of up to HK$3,800 to help low-income individuals or families to buy their own flats.
More than 8,000 low-income families are subsidised, although the scheme was halted in 2003 pending a review. In June 2004, the definitive scrapping of the scheme was announced.
Since July 1, 2007, following a reorganization of Government agencies, the role of Chairman of the HA is assumed by the Secretary for Transport and Housing (a position created in 2007). This role was previously assumed by the Secretary for Housing, Planning and Lands. The Director of Housing is Vice-chairman of the HA. Chairpersons of the Hong Kong Housing Authority have included:
- Eva Cheng 2007–present
- Michael Suen 2003-2007
- Dr Cheng Hon-kwan
- Rosanna Wong Yick-ming: 1993–2000
- David Akers-Jones: 1987-1992
The Hong Kong Housing Authority Headquarters are located at 33 Fat Kwong Street, Ho Man Tin, Kowloon. The Hong Kong Housing Authority Exhibition Centre is located nearby at 3/F, Homantin Plaza, 80 Fat Kwong Street.
- Public housing in Hong Kong
- Hong Kong Housing Society
- The Link REIT
- List of public housing estates in Hong Kong
- List of Home Ownership Scheme Courts in Hong Kong
- My Home Purchase Plan
- Public factory estates in Hong Kong
- "Memories of Home – 50 Years of Public Housing in Hong Kong"
- Hong Kong Housing Authority About Us page
- Hung, Edward (June 26, 1977). "'New' Housing Authority in for bigger responsibility" (PDF). The Standard. Retrieved 2007-04-27.
- 25,000 HA flats up for sale, but no more loans, The Standard, June 3, 2004
- Press release: "STH Appointed as Housing Authority Chairman", June 2007
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hong Kong Housing Authority.|