Hyoyeon in a 2012 ad for LG
September 22, 1989 |
Incheon, South Korea
|Genres||K-pop, hip hop, electropop|
|Occupations||Singer, dancer, promotional model, actress, rapper|
|Associated acts||Girls' Generation, SM Town, Little Winners, Younique Unit|
|Revised Romanization||Gim Hyo-yeon|
Kim Hyo-yeon (born September 22, 1989), is a South Korean singer, dancer, actress, rapper and promotional model. She is a member of the popular South Korean girl group Girls' Generation, formed by S.M. Entertainment in 2007.
Hyoyeon was born in Incheon, South Korea on September 22, 1989. She grew up with her parents and her younger brother, Kim Min-gu. She auditioned for SM Entertainment at the age of 11 through SM 2000 Casting System. Hyoyeon said that her reason was her mother bringing her to the offices of S. M. Entertainment in the hopes of meeting H.O.T. She then danced in her audition show. In 2004, along with Super Junior's Siwon, she was sent to study Chinese in Beijing. Hyoyeon was also picked as Korea's #1 Idol dancer on Star News.
Pre-debut and training background
Hyoyeon's formal dance training started in elementary school. At her neighborhood's small hip-hop school, she learned Hip hop, Jazz and Latin dance. In 1999, she enrolled in Winners Dance School, a famous dance school in South Korea specializing in popping, locking, animation and various other hip-hop styles. At the school she met Miss A's Min, with whom she formed the dance team Little Winners (리틀위너스). The duo performed at various showcases and was spotlighted by HipHoper.com in 2004.
She received dance instruction from the Electric Boogaloos and top choreographers such as Kim Hye-rang, Poppin Seen, Kwang Hoo (aka Crazy Monkey), Poppin DS, Kwon Seok-jin (aka Locking Khan) and Black Beat's Shim Jae-won. She also worked with one of Justin Timberlake's choreographers and a few foreign teachers.
Before debuting with Girls' Generation, she worked with Janet Jackson and was BoA's silhouette dancer during a performance at M.net KM Music Festival 2005. In 2007, she teamed up with Jae Won for a dance collaboration to "Anonymous".
On March 25, 2012, it was revealed that Hyoyeon would be making an appearance on the second season of Dancing with the Stars. Hyoyeon joined the cast of MBC‘s Dancing with the Stars season 2, which aired its first episode on April 27. Hyoyeon and her partner ended up winning second place.
In July 2012, Hyoyeon with fellow member Seohyun were featured in the August issue of Nylon, a fashion and pop culture magazine. To promote the upcoming release, the magazine recently uploaded videos of Hyoyeon and Seohyun onto its YouTube channel. The clips show behind-the-scenes footage of the photoshoots Nylon did with the two.
On October 30, 2012, Hyoyeon posed for beauty & fashion look book, ‘o/1 Creative Book‘.The first issue of “0/1creativebook”, featuring Hyoyeon, will be released on October 31. Hyoyeon becomes the first cover girl of newly launched beauty fashion book, ’0/1 creativebook (Zero One creativebook)’! In the first issue of the book, Hyo-yeon is the only celebrity selected to model for the fashion book.
On June 17, 2013, it was revealed that Yuri together with Hyoyeon and others will appear on "Dancing 9", Mnet’s newest global dance survival show. The two Girls’ Generation members will coach the show’s contestants as “K-pop dance masters” alongside other notable stars.
|2012||PYL Younique Volume 1||"Maxstep"||03:45||Younique Unit (with Eunhyuk, Taemin, Henry, Kai & Luhan)|
|2012||I AM. – SM Town Live World Tour in Madison Square Garden||Herself||Biographical film of SM Town|
|2008||Unstoppable Marriage||As BoolGwangDong (seven princess) (cameo)|
|2010||Oh My Lady!||Herself (cameo)|
|2007||Cutie Honey, Mini Musical||A bully along with Yuri & Jessica|
|2009||We Got Married Season 1||Herself||42, 45, 49|
|2010||We Got Married Season 2||Herself||51, 52, 56, 57, 69 (On stage)|
|2011||Running Man||Herself||63, 64|
|2011–2012||KBS Invincible Youth 2||Herself||All|
|2012||Dancing with the Stars 2||Herself||All|
|Strong Heart||Herself||165, 166|
|Shinhwa Broadcast||Herself||Guest on Episodes 47 and 48 along with Sunny, Taeyeon, Yoona, Yuri and Sooyoung|
|Dancing 9||Coach||All; With Yuri|
Television shows hosting
|2008||Star Live Power Music||Co-hosted with members|
|2009||Mnet's The M||Guest host with Jessica and Sunny (Aug 27th)|
|2012||MBC Show! Music Core||Guest host with Seohyun and Yonghwa (April 7)|
|2013||M! Countdown||Guest host with Yuri (Jan 3rd)|
Music video appearances
|2010||"Cabi Song"||Girls' Generation & 2PM|
|2012||"Maxstep"||Younique Unit with (Eunhyuk, Taemin, Kai, Henry & Luhan)|
Aside from her endorsements alongside Girls' Generation, Hyoyeon has also endorsed the following brands:
|2011||Dior Snow||With Sooyoung, Yuri, Sunny, Jessica and Tiffany|
|2012||Hyundai PYL||With Jessica, Eunhyuk, Henry, Lu Han, Taemin, Kai|
|2012||MBC Entertainment Awards||Female Newcomer Show Variety for Dancing With The Stars 2||Won|
- (Korean) As seen on KBS 2TV Champagne (신동엽신봉선의 샴페인), March 14, 2009.
- (Korean) As seen on MBCevery1 Flower Boys Generation (지금은 꽃미남시대), April 8, 2009.
- "[eng sub] Hyoyeon picked as Korea's number 1 Idol dancer (Star News)". YouTube. 2012-06-03. Retrieved 2012-11-07.
- (Korean) Girls' Generation UCC Story, July 19, 2007.
- (Korean) 소녀시대 댄스퀸 효연 “초등학교 때 힙합스쿨 다녀”, 뉴스엔, August 1, 2007.
- (Korean) 민과 소녀시대 효연 데뷔전부터 친분사진 눈길, JESNews.co.kr, February 3, 2008.
- (Korean) 귀여운 팝퍼, 리틀위너스, 힙합퍼, January 27, 2004.
- (Korean) 효연, '댄스 DNA'를 타고난 춤꾼", 조엔 CHOEN, February 13, 2009. Retrieved on May 21, 2010.
- (Korean) 세계 제패한 이효리춤선생 스타킹 깜짝출연 “최고의 댄서 교수 되고싶다”, 뉴스엔, December 14, 2008.
- (Korean) As seen on MTV Girls' Generation, Episode 8, October 25, 2007.
- (Korean) 데프 댄스스쿨 강남점 소울 왁킹반 영진샘 프리스타일 영상, 데프댄스스쿨, May 8, 2010.
- (Korean) Poppin DS Official website
- (Korean) Locking Khan Official website
- "Girls' Generation". HMI Magazine. 15-12-10. p. 09. "Dancing queen of the next generation, Hyoyeon had received many dancing training from stars like Justin, Janet Jackson."
- (Korean) 소녀시대 효연..."데뷔 전 연습생 시절 보아 선배 대역", 이데일리 SPN, August 7, 2007.
- (Korean) 음악의 색깔, 멤버와 그룹의 이미지가 조화되는 것이 좋은 안무, 10 아시아, February 5, 2009.
- (Korean) 소녀시대, 최시원과 의리 지키며 '오 마이 레이디'서 카메오 출연, 아시아경제, March 7, 2010. Retrieved on April 9, 2010.
- (Korean) allkpop.com
- Girls’ Generation’s Hyoyeon to join the cast of ‘Dancing with the Stars 2′
- by leesa86. "Girls’ Generation’s Hyoyeon & Seohyun sport a punky fashion style for NYLON Magazine". Allkpop.com. Retrieved 2012-11-07.
- by pkdance (2012-10-30). "Girls’ Generation’s Hyoyeon poses for ’0/1 Creative Book’". Allkpop.com. Retrieved 2012-11-07.
- "SNSD’s Hyoyeon becomes first cover girl for ’0/1 creativebook’ ~ Latest K-pop News – K-pop News | Daily K Pop News". Dkpopnews.net. Retrieved 2012-11-07.
- "Girls’ Generation’s Hyoyeon chosen as new Asian ambassador for Topshop Hong Kong". hellokpop. 2013-05-31. Retrieved 2013-06-01.
- Hyoyeon and Yuri will soon appear on “Dancing 9"
- "Documentary Shows Top K-Pop Singers Behind the Scenes". Chosun Ilbo. 2 May 2012. Retrieved 4 May 2012.
- Lee, Nancy (8 February 2013). "SNSD Members Say They Fought to Appear on Shinhwa Broadcast". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 5 March 2013.