|Birth name||Amy Lee
Lee Yejin (이예진)
May 30, 1989 |
Denver, Colorado, U.S.
|Genres||K-pop, dance, R&B, electropop|
|Occupations||Singer, actress, dancer|
|Instruments||Vocals, piano, flute|
|Labels||YMC Entertainment (South Korea)
Warner Music Japan (Japan)
|Associated acts||Wheesung, Jay Park, Johnnyphlo, Decipher, Hyorin, Yiruma|
|Website||Japanese official site|
|Revised Romanization||I Ye-jin|
Amy Lee (Korean name: Lee Yejin; Hangul: 이예진; Hanja: 李藝眞, born May 30, 1989), better known by her stage name Ailee (Hangul: 에일리), is a Korean-American singer under YMC Entertainment, a South Korean record label. She released her first single, "Heaven", on February 8, 2012.
- 1 Background
- 2 Discography
- 3 Filmography
- 4 Endorsements
- 5 Awards and nominations
- 6 Music Show Awards
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Ailee was born in Denver, Colorado on May 30, 1989, but grew up in New Jersey. She attended Palisades Park Junior/Senior High School before moving to Leonia. Although she graduated from Scotch Plains-Fanwood High School, she dropped out of Pace University (where she claims to have studied communications, journalism and criminal justice) in order to pursue a music career. She got into singing by creating a YouTube channel called "mzamyx3" and later "aileemusic" because she wanted to garner more attention to her singing on the web. She moved to South Korea in 2010 after she landed an audition through her uncle's connections. She sang Big Mama's Resignation and was recruited on the spot.
Before her K-pop debut, Ailee was an artist under Muzo Entertainment, an independent agency based out of New York and New Jersey, where she collaborated with several artists, such as Johnnyphlo (who is also signed in Korea), and Philadelphia based rapper Decipher.
During her trainee days under YMC Entertainment, she was featured in Wheesung's "They Are Coming" song released on October 9, 2011. Ailee was also featured in Decipher's song "Catch Me If You Can", which also featured Jay Park. Ailee performed with Jay Park, Art of Movement, Johnnyphlo, Decipher, and Clara C at "projectKorea III" at Rutgers University in 2010.
On September 13, 2011, Ailee along with Wheesung held a performance on the MBC's Chuseok special episode of "Singer and Trainee". Ailee's stage presence was immediately felt by the audience, who was amazed that she was like a professional singer, even though she had not yet officially debuted. Following her solo performance of "Halo" by Beyoncé, singer BMK expressed, "Wherever she goes, she has the potential to be a big star. She definitely has the voice." After the judges had graded everyone, Ailee won first place.
2012: Debut, Invitation 
On February 6, the music video teaser for Ailee's debut song, Heaven, was released. Heaven was written and produced by Wheesung. On the 9th, Ailee released the song and the music video, which featured Beast's Gi Kwang. Later that day, she made her debut stage performance of "Heaven" on M.net M! Countdown, and then on SBS Inkigayo on February 11. Just one month after her debut, she dominated the Cyworld Music Awards on February where she won two awards for “Song of the Month” and “Rookie of the Month“. On February 22, Ailee released her OST song "Superstar" for KBS's Dream High 2 together with Sistar's Hyorin & T-ARA's Jiyeon.
In March 2012, Ailee made her first appearances on KBS's Immortal Song 2 with performing Patti Kim’s song “Light and Shadow” from 1967. On May 19 of part 2 of the ‘J.Y. Park' special, Ailee performed J.Y. Park’s debut song “Don’t Leave Me“. She beat Davichi’s Lee Haeri by 1 point, 419 to 418, for the win. Later on June 30th episode, Immortal Song 2 featured composer Yoon Il Sang. She performed "Fate" by Lee Seung Chul and won again with 402 votes. In August, it was announced that Ailee was making a temporary leave from the show in order to focus on her music. She performed her final stage on August 6, and the episode aired on September 1. Later in August, Ailee made an appearance in the 3rd episode of Jay Park's online web series, Jay Park TV, where she was backstage attending Park's concert in Seoul. Ailee also, co-hosted the ABU Radio Song Festival with Han Seok Joon which took place on October 11, 2012.
On October 16, Ailee released her debut mini album, Invitiation which contained the title track, “I’ll Show You“. The mini album contains six tracks. It was produced by producers such as Kim Do Hoon, Lee Hyun Seung, Park Guentae, Double Sidekick, Wheesung, and featured artists such as Verbal Jint, Swings and Simon D. On October 18, Ailee made her comeback with "I'll Show You" on M! Countdown.
2013-present: A's Doll House and Japanese debut
On July 4, 2013, Ailee announced that she would release her second mini album entitled, A's Doll House, on July 12, 2013. The album's single "U&I", topped music charts within 4 hours of release and earned Ailee her first "All-Kill" status. Popularity for the physical album was also deemed high when nearly all stores in Korea were sold out of the soloist's album on the first day of release. Orders overwhelmed the amount of stock, and a representative from Ailee's agency stated, "The rate at which this album is selling is many times greater than the previous album’s."
On August 4, 2013 was revealed that Ailee will be making her Japanese debut with "Heaven" under Warner Music Japan. On September 5, a video of her teasing the chorus of the song was released, along with some part of it and the release day of the single, stated to be released on November 6.
On November 10, 2013, the Korean pop gossip site AllKPop.com published a story about some nude photos that had surfaced which were from Ailee's pre-debut. Fans quickly noticed that these photos had been uploaded far earlier in the year (during the early summer of 2013), and nobody (besides those visitors to the site) had even seen the photos.  Ailee was also allegedly threatened by her ex-boyfriend that if she "did not comply with his wishes, he would spread pictures and videos of her". 
As a result of the scandal, Ailee has been removed from some online advertising (notably Kyochon, a Korean fried chicken company). Kyochon responded, "Ailee’s commercial contract hasn’t ended. But consumers have been showing sensitive reactions to Ailee’s recent situation, and Ailee’s agency (YMC) is also not entirely keen on the singer’s exposure at this time, so we took certain steps.” On the other hand, various companies and blogs (such as "Omona They Didn't" on LiveJournal and "Beyond Hallyu", a British K-pop blog) have come out to support Ailee, and have announced that they will no longer use AllKPop as a source on their websites due to the site's decision to publish the photos.
When asked about the scandal, AllKPop owner Johnny Noh tweeted "With that said @allkpop was not the source of the leaks, we cant take credit. But dont be surprised if in the new yr we blow some doors open". 
On November 11, 2013, Ailee's company YMC issued the following statement: "The pictures are of her she took when she was offered to be a lingerie model... We will be taking legal action. When Ailee was living in America, she received a lingerie modeling offer from a famous company there. She took nude photos because they wanted a better judgment of her body but the company was unable to be contacted after she took them. She reported them to the police and it was later found that she was frauded by a company who approached other college girls as well. Ailee discussed the matter with her ex-boyfriend, a current AllKPop employee, and he claimed that he would need to see the exact content of the pictures before coming up with a solution so she sent them to him." 
In response to the allegations, AllKPop issued a statement of their own, claiming that the tip-off had come from Toronto, Canada (Allkpop is stationed out of New Jersey), all the allegations against the company and Mr. Lee were false, and they'd be seeking legal action of their own.  They also claimed that the tipster had told them that he would be taking the story to Dispatch media if AllKPop did not take it, which directly contradicts the statement issued by Dispatch, in which they revealed they turned down the tipster, as his actions were illegal and unethical, and that the tipster was Ailee's ex-boyfriend (Mr. Lee) (during the conversation, the tipster mentions that releasing the images "would not be illegal in the US", which he would not have said if he were actually in Canada). On November 13, Dispatch released the audio recording of the call, and it was confirmed that the person who had contacted Dispatch media did indeed work at AllKPop.
Ailee later appeared at the 5th MelOn Music Awards night on November 14, where she tearfully accepted an award while the audience (including some of her peers) greeted her with loud cheers and chanted her name. In her speech, Ailee thanked everyone for supporting her, and made a deep bow of respect.
On November 15, Ailee's ex-boyfriend (AllKPop's Vice President of Content Daniel Lee) admitted that it was him in the audio recording attempting to sell the photos, although he denied that he leaked the photos to AllKPop.
On November 17, it was revealed that several Korean media agencies were preparing (separate) lawsuits against AllKPop, both for Ailee's scandal, and copyright infringement, which could possibly result in AllKPop being sued for over $10 million dollars.  Fans of Ailee were further outraged when it was revealed that AllKPop had obtained potentially compromising images of 2PM singer Ok Taecyeon back in 2009, but chose not to release them out of a desire to "respect Taecyeon's privacy" (while their statement about Ailee's photos had been that they felt "required to do [their] journalistic duty [to release the photos to the public]"), and called for a boycott of AllKPop, resulting in them losing 22,000 followers on social media, although they have since regained their previous level of followers. Some notable members of the boycott include f(x) member Amber Liu, G.NA, Jay Park, Super Junior member Choi Siwon, miss A member Min and U-Kiss member Kevin Woo.
On November 24, the original police report that Ailee had made regarding the photos surfaced, which elaborated on the circumstances in which the photos were taken ("a friend of Ailee had requested 50 nude photos for a lingerie company camera test and Ailee agreed without suspicion, discovering later that her friend's Facebook had in fact been hacked").
On December 4, AllKPop removed the censored photos from the original article.
|2012||Dream High Season 2||Ailee (fictional character)||KBS|
|2012||Immortal song 2||Herself||KBS|
|2013||You & I||Herself||SBS|
|2012||ABU Song Festivals 2012||Presenter||KBS|
|2012||Touch In Sol|
|2013||Kyochon Chicken||With Super Junior |
|Philippines Tourism Endorsement||via the interactive film "Fun Girl, Ailee's 3-Day and 2-Night Trip"|
|Cherish Furniture Endorsement|
Awards and nominations
|2012||Asia Song Festival||New Artist Award||Won|||
|Cyworld Digital Music Awards||Rookie of the Month (February)||"Heaven"||Won|||
|Mnet Asian Music Awards||Best New Female Artist||Won|||
|So-Loved Awards||Best Female Newcomer||Won|||
|MelOn Music Awards||Best New Artist – Rookie Award||Won|||
|Soompi Gayo Awards||Top 50 Songs - #3||"보여줄게 (I Will Show You)"||Won|||
|Top New Artist - Gold||Won|||
|2013||Golden Disk Awards||Best New Artist||"Heaven"||Won|||
|Seoul Music Awards||Rookie Award||"Heaven"||Won|||
|Allkpop Awards||Best Female Solo||Won|||
|Gaon Chart K-Pop Awards||New Artist of the Year (Female Solo)||Won|||
|5th MelOn Music Awards||Bonsang||"U&I"||Won|||
|Mnet Asian Music Awards||Best Vocal Performance - Female||"U&I"||Won||–|
|Seoul Success Awards||Singer Daesang||Won||–|
|So-Loved Awards||Best Solo Artist Female||"U&I"||Won||–|
|Korea Culture and Entertainment Awards||Best Solo Artist||"U&I"||Won||–|
Music Show Awards
|2012||November 23||I Will Show You|
- starsung (August 3, 2013). "Ailee to make her Japanese debut in September". allkpop. Retrieved August 7, 2013.
- "YMC Entertainment Official Website".
- "Ailee releases her debut music video, "Heaven"". allkpop. 02/08/2012. Retrieved 10/16/2012 Ailee was invited as a VIP guest on The 55th Annual Grammy's Award on March 2013 at Los Angeles..
- "Wheesung unveils ‘They Are Coming’, final mini-album before enlistment". 10/09/2011.
- "Jay Park, Art of Movement, Johnnyphlo, Decipher & more to perform at Rutgers University!". allkpop. Retrieved 31 December 2012.
- "Wheesung and Trainee Ailee Wow the Audience". Soompi. 09/16/2011. Retrieved 03/08/2012.
- "Jiyeon, Hyorin and Ailee form trio girl group hershe for Dream High-2". Soompi. 12/26/2011. Retrieved 03/08/2012.
- "Wheesung’s trainee, Ailee, to be a part of ‘Dream High 2′". Allkpop. 11/23/2011. Retrieved 03/08/2012.
- "Ailee releases "Heaven" MV teaser feat. B2ST’s Kikwang". Allkpop. 02/06/2012.
- "Ailee releases "Heaven" MV teaser". Soompi. 02/08/2012. Retrieved 03/08/2012.
- "Lee Ki Kwang appears on Ailee's "Heaven" music video". Soompi. 02/07/2012. Retrieved 03/08/2012.
- "Ailee makes an angelic debut with "Heaven" on ‘M! Countdown’!". Allkpop. 02/09/2012.
- "Ailee Makes Debut Inkigayo Performance". Soompi. 02/12/2012. Retrieved 03/08/2012.
- "Rookie singer Ailee wins two titles from Cyworld Music Awards". Allkpop. 03/02/2012. Retrieved 10/17/2012.
- "Hershe from "Dream High 2" Releases "Super Star"". Soompi. 02/22/2012. Retrieved 03/08/2012.
- "John Park & Ailee make their first appearance on ‘Immortal Song 2′". Allkpop. 03/24/2012. Retrieved 10/17/2012.
- "Ailee claims victory on Immortal Song 2". Allkpop. 05/19/2012. Retrieved 10/17/2012.
- "Ailee claims victory + cast of ‘Immortal Song 2′ cover the greatest hits by composer Yoon Il Sang". Allkpop. 06/30/2012. Retrieved 10/17/2012.
- "Super Junior’s Ryeowook and Ailee to exit ‘Immortal Song 2′". Allkpop. 08/13/2012. Retrieved 10/17/2012.
- "Super Junior's Ryeowook and Soloist Ailee to Leave 'Immortal Song 2'". Kpopstarz. 08/13/2012. Retrieved 08/13/2012.
- "JAY PARK TV - EP 03". Jay Park. Retrieved 26 September 2012.
- "ABU TV Song Festival 2012 Participants". ESCKAZ.com. Retrieved 08/17/2012.
- "ABU TV Song Festival 2012". Asia-Pacific Broadcasting Union. Retrieved 08/17/2012.
- "Ailee releases "I’ll Show You" MV (ft. MBLAQ’s G.O) + ‘Invitation’ mini album". Allkpop. 10/15/2012. Retrieved 10/17/2012.
- "Naver News". 07/03/2012. Retrieved 07/03/2012.
- "Ailee Comes Back with Album 'Invitation'". kpopstarz. 10/16/2012. Retrieved 10/17/2012.
- "Ailee comes back with "I’ll Show You" on ‘M! Countdown’". Allkpop. 10/18/2012. Retrieved 10/23/2012.
- Nate News, 에일리가 돌아온다! 12일 새 앨범 발표 July 4, 2013. Retrieved July 10, 2013. Language, Korean.
- Nate News, 에일리, 신곡 '유앤아이(U&I)' 티저 영상 공개 '컴백 신호탄' July 5, 2013. Retrieved July 10, 2013. Language, Korean.
- Ailee to make her Japanese debut in September
- Ailee to take it 'Higher' with collaboration featuring pianist Yiruma
- Ailee takes you 'Higher' with collaboration featuring pianist Yiruma
- Super Junior and Ailee to spend a sweet year together for ‘KyoChon Chicken’
- Allkpop: Ailee takes you on a date around the Philippines in an interactive film for Philippine Tourism
- Manila Bulletin: DOT taps K-pop star Ailee to promote PH tourism
- "B1A4, Ailee, and more have a successful stage at the 2012 "Asia Song Festival"". Koreaboo. August 6, 2012. Retrieved August 6, 2012.
- "Cyworld Digital Music Awards - Rookie Of The Month (February)". cyworld (in Korean). Retrieved March 2, 2012.
- "Nominees for the 2012 MAMA Announced". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. 23 October 2012. Retrieved 13 November 2012.
- Eun, Elizabeth (30 November 2012). "Big Bang, Super Junior and Psy Win Big at 2012 MAMA". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 30 November 2012.
- "Nominees for SONG and ARTIST of the YEAR". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. 23 October 2012. Retrieved 13 November 2012.
- "Winners from the ’2012 MelOn Music Awards’!". Retrieved 14 December 2012.
- "2012 Soompi Gayo Award Results". Soompi. 31 December 2012.
- "Winners from the 27th Golden Disk Awards (Day 2)". Retrieved 31 January 2013.
- "Winners from the ’22nd Seoul Music Awards’".
- "Winners of the 2012 allkpop awards presented by Naver BAND!’".
- "Winners from the ’2nd Gaon Chart K-Pop Awards’’".
- "Winners from the '2013 MelOn Music Awards'!".
- "Ailee wins ‘Music Bank’ K-Chart + Performances from November 23rd!". Allkpop. November 23, 2012. Retrieved November 23, 2012.
- Official YMC Entertainment website
- Official Warner Music Japan website
- Ailee's Official YouTube Channel
- Ailee at HanCinema
|Awards and achievements|
|14th Mnet Asian Music Awards - Best New Female Solo