Indian Institute of Foreign Trade
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2012)|
||This college or university article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia guidelines for college and university articles. (June 2012)|
|Indian Institute of Foreign Trade|
|भारतीय विदेश व्यापार संस्थान|
|Type||Public business school|
|Endowment||INR 19.50 million|
|Budget||INR 32.73 million|
|Director||Dr. Surajit Mitra|
|Location||New Delhi and Kolkata, India
|Campus||Urban, 6 acres (24,000 m2)|
|Satellite campus||Dar es Salaam, Tanzania|
The Indian Institute of Foreign Trade (IIFT) is an autonomous public business school established in 1963 by the Government of India (Ministry of Commerce and Industry) to help professionalize the country's foreign trade management and increase exports. Its flagship program is the Master of Business Administration in International Business (MBA-IB). It is the only institute among the top-10 business schools of India that offers this program. Apart from the MBA(IB) Course, IIFT provides various Management Development Programs, Executive Programs and Certificate Programs catering to the requirements of aspiring International Business executives and mid-career professionals alike.
IIFT is a deemed-university and it conducts an autonomous entrance examination across various centres in India. In 2014, an estimated whopping 60000 candidates took the entrance exam for Full Time MBA (IB) course with 260 seats, making it one of the toughest B-schools to get into in India .
- 1 Courses
- 2 Centres at IIFT
- 3 Campus
- 4 International Student Exchange Programmes
- 5 Campus Life
- 6 Notable alumni
- 7 Papers and Publications
- 8 References
- 9 External links
IIFT's portfolio of long-term programmes is as follows:
The MBA (International Business) is a foundational course for developing a competent cadre of business executives to meet the country’s growing requirements for training personnel in the field of international management. MBA (IB) is a six trimester general management programme with a focus on international business. The programme aims at providing a comprehensive coverage incorporating all the important areas and disciplines relevant to international business activities. The syllabi for MBA (IB) compares favorably with the syllabi of some of the world’s best International Business Schools. This programme is offered in its campus at Delhi and Kolkata Campus.
With the introduction of a three-year Part Time MBA (International Business) during 2000-01, IIFT added a new dimension to its role in the field of professional education by making available to working executives the Institute’s well established MBA (IB) programme in the weekends. This programme is a replica of the day programme, both in terms of entry procedures and course contents. The programme runs over nine trimesters spread over three years. The classes are held on weekends.
EPGDIB is a specialized Programme that provides a scientific approach to business decision-making in todays dynamic and competitive international business environment. EPGDIB provides an opportunity from middle and senior level executives to refresh and upgrade their managerial skills without interrupting their professional activities. The EPGDIB Programme is specially designed to cater to those executives for whom leaving the job and the city is not a feasible option.The duration of the Programme is 18 months which is to be completed in three semesters of six months each
Executive Post Graduate Diploma in Industrial Marketing aims at enhancing the managerial competence and prepares the participants for Industrial Marketing or marketing of goods and services from one business to another. With an increasingly challenging business environment, organizations are under pressure to perform. The sales and marketing function is probably the most affected under the current economic scenario. The Programme on Industrial Marketing provides in-depth case studies geared to the needs of marketing managers and other executives. Typically, companies generate higher sales volume from industrial sales than from consumer sales. Therefore, it is imperative for them to develop and follow effective marketing strategies to serve their industrial customers effectively.
Financial markets across the world are getting more vibrant and more integrated. The liberalization and globalization of economies and technological advancements has warranted the need for Financial Market professionals. The Executive Post Graduate Diploma in Capital and Financial Markets aims at developing adequate skills and knowledge in the securities markets, with proper understanding of the current structure, pricing, risk, competition and financial innovations. The programme aims at enhancing the managerial competence of senior and middle level executives by imparting systematic knowledge in all aspects relating to capital and financial markets.
- Certificate Course in International Business Language
- Certificate Programme in Capital and Financial Markets
- Certificate Programme in Global Trade Logistics and Operations
- MBA in International Business (Tanzania)
- Executive Post Graduate Diploma In International Business (through VSAT)
- Post Graduate Diploma in International Business Strategy (through VSAT)
- Post Graduate Diploma in International Business for Young Managers ( PGDIBYM ) (through VSAT)
- EMBA Bridge Programme (through VSAT)
- Online Certificate Programme in Export Management
IIFT has, over the years, undertaken research studies with organisations like World Trade Organisation, World Bank, the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) and the Ministry of Commerce & Industry. IIFT has also trained more than 40,000 business professionals across 30 countries via its management development programmes.
|Business – International|
|Business – India|
As of 2014, IIFT was ranked #6 in India by the Wall Street Journal. It was ranked #21 by the QS Global 200 Business Schools Report in the Asia-Pacific region for 2012. and was ranked #7 by the Business Today 50 best business schools of 2011,# 9 by PaGaLGuY and #12 by the 2012 edition of CNBC-TV18's Top B-Schools in India.
Centres at IIFT
Centre for International Trade in Technology
With the primary objective of actuality India’s potential in technology trade and addressing some of the institutional complexities, IIFT has set up the Centre for International Trade in Technology with financial and technical support from the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research, Government of India.
It is an institution in which roles of active players in international technology trade especially those of Ministry of Commerce & Industry and Ministry of Science and Technology are proposed to be synthesised.
Centre for WTO Studies
The Centre for WTO Studies was established at IIFT in November 2002.
The major objective of the Centre has been to provide research and analytical support on a continuous basis to the Department of Commerce on identified issues pertaining to the World Trade Organisation. In addition, it is also tasked to carry out research activities, bring out Publications on WTO related subjects, carry out Outreach & Capacity Building programmes by organising seminars, workshops, subject specific meetings etc., and to be a repository of important WTO documents in its Trade Resource Centres
Centre for SME Studies
The growing importance of Small and Medium Enterprises in the economy as a whole and External Trade in particular has prompted IIFT to establish a separate Centre for SME studies which can act as a catalyst to the internationalsiation of SME activities. The centre has become operational from May, 2005. The Centre for SME Studies at IIFT provides continuous support to the SME sector by carrying out activities which can be broadly classified into conducting Training Programmes, provision of Business Intelligence services through a Databank and acting as a catalyst for Interfacing with other concerned and associated institutions.
IIFT Delhi Centre is located in the Qutab Institutional Area in close vicinity of Jawaharlal Nehru University and the Indian Institute of Technology in New Delhi, India and is spread over 6 acres (24,000 m2) of land.
The Kolkata Centre was set up in July 2006 when it was perceived that they needed a campus in a port city. The Union Commerce minister Kamal Nath inaugurated the campus in the presence of chief minister of West Bengal, Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee. The campus is located in Sector V Salt Lake amidst the IT hub of Kolkata. The campus at Kolkata is an extension of the Delhi campus with rotating faculty and central placement at both the campuses.
The facilities available on campus include lecture halls with audio-visual aids, conference halls for round-table conferences, an auditorium of 500 seating capacity, MDP Centre, three Computer Centres, indoor games, and residential facilities for students.
The IIFT library has 84,000 volumes and subscriptions to 800 journals with online cataloguing. The library has a collection of publications of FAO, IMF, OECD, UNCTAD, UNCTC, World Bank, and other international agencies.
The students also have access to database such as the NIC, CMIE, India Trades, World Bank Indicators and other audio-visual aids on management. IIFT has set up the WTO Resource Centre in the Library to focus exclusively on WTO issues.
The library in Delhi as well in Kolkata campus have online resources. The Institute subscribes EBSCO, Proquest, JSTOR, Emerald, Blackwell Synergy databases which mainly cover journal articles. For statistical data there are World Trade On-line, IMF databases, IndiaStat, ISI Emerging Markets, Woline, WITS, CMIE databases, World Trade Atlas, OECD online and many more to list.
Eleven servers (IBM, Compaq and HP), 300 Core 2 Duo/Pentium IV nodes with wired and wireless access to the network are available in the campus. The software applications include Solaris, Novell Netware, Windows 2000 Server, Windows XP, Lotus Domino, SPSS, Oracle, Developer 2000, and Java.
Other facilities include 24-hour Internet access, access to national and international databases, in-house publishing facilities, LCD / Plasma Screen Projection Systems, etc.
International Student Exchange Programmes
IIFT has Exchange Programmes with some international institutions. These collaborations are mainly for student and faculty exchanger programme, joint collaborations on research and various other capacity building exercise. As an outcome of the student faculty exchange programme both the partner intuitions gain outcome. Particularly, the student exchange programme has really picked up in the last five years. This is also because of the increase in the number of collaborations with premiere business schools like Bocconi University (Milano, Italy), International University in Geneva (Geneva, Switzerland), Pamplin College of Business, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (Blacksburg, Virginia, United States), MBA School, Saarland University, (Saarbruecken, Germany), Grenoble école de management (Grenoble, France), EDHEC Business School (Lille Cedex and Nice Cedex, France), Hanken School of Economics(Helsinki, Finland), Nyenrode Business University(Breukelen, Netherlands), Skema Business School (Lille, France).
The institute has a student body called International Management Forum (IMF). IMF is the official representative student body at IIFT which acts as a coordinator for, and provides administrative support to, various student activities and events at IIFT besides taking policy decisions regarding student affairs in consultation with the Director/Chairperson/Programme Director.
The institute has a Placement Committee which is a ten member body of elected representatives. It consists of six people from Delhi campus and four from Kolkata campus. The purpose of Placement Committee is to ensure good final and summer placements for the students of the full-time MBA (IB) programme. To this end, it makes representations to Human Resource departments of various organisations, and arranges placement week / interviews and selection procedures for IIFT students.
The institute has the following clubs on campus:
- Blash - Provides Platform for students to learn and discuss about various facets of Trade and International Business.
- Brandwagon – a forum of students that are interested in marketing, either as a subject or as a preferred career.
- Capital - The club acts as a platform for discussion and activities in the field of finance.
- Systemix - Systems Club at IIFT which aims to provide a platform for Information Technology.
- Quintessential - Quizzing club at IIFT.
- Socrates - Consulting club at IIFT.
- E-Cell - Entrepreneurship Cell at IIFT
- Koshish - CSR Club at IIFT
- EOM-Cell - The Energy, Operations & Manufacturing Cell at IIFT
- ABC - The Africa Business Cell at IIFT
The institute has a Corporate Relations Committee(CRC). The Corporate Relations Committee is an elected body of four members. The CRC is headed by a convener. The purpose of the CRC is to maintain constant interaction with corporate partners and associates of IIFT and to arrange interactions with corporates on a regular basis.
The students of MBA (IB) course also issue five monthly magazines:
- Trade Winds - The Magazine on Trade and International Business
- Markmantra - The magazine for Marketing
- Infineeti - The magazine for Finance
- Techtonix - The magazine for IT
- Strategos - The magazine for Consulting and Strategy
The Institute also conducts Trade Winds, the flagship event of IIFT for corporate interactions, and the annual management festival Quo Vadis.
- S.K. Roongta, Managing Director, Vedanta Aluminium
- Manu Sawhney, Executive Director, Manchester United
- Rashesh Shah, Founder Edelweiss Capital
- Arvind Jadhav, Ex CMD Air India
- Sanjeev Asthana, CEO, Reliance Agro
- Govind Ambady, CEO, Louis Dreyfus Commodities
- Ashok B,Director, Supply Chain & Manufacturing,Eli Lilly and Company (India) Pvt. Ltd
- Atul Gogna, Director Strategy (Asia Pacific),Alcoa
- Deepak Sehajpaul,Head Africa,Dabur Pharma
- D. P. Singh, Managing Director, Sara Intl.
- Dinesh Jain, CEO, Zee Turner
- Himanshu Sareen, CEO, Icreon
- Jaspreet Bindra, Regional Director, Microsoft
- Madhan Krishnaswamy, Director, Flextronics
- Milind Pant, Managing Director, Yum Restaurants
- P K Prakash, Director, Cisco Systems Inc
- Raj Sansi, Director, Sales, Patni
- Ramesh Natarajan, Head Marketing, DHL India
- Ramesh Natarajan, VP - Rest of South Asia, DHL
- Ramesh Vijayaraghavan, Exec. Director, RBS Singapore
- Ramesh Vijayaraghavan, Executive Director, Morgan Stanley
- Sanjay Singh, Managing Director, Yamaha Motors
- Siraj S. Chaudhry, Chairman, Cargill India
Papers and Publications
IIFT regularly publishes papers under two heads- Focus WTO and Foreign Trade Review.
- "MBA (INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS) - FULL TIME".
- "MBA (INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS) - WEEKEND".
- "Executive Post Graduate Diploma in International Business (EPGDIB) on Campus".
- "EXECUTIVE POST GRADUATE DIPLOMA IN INDUSTRIAL MARKETING (EPGDIM)".
- "QS World University Rankings". QS Quacquarelli Symonds Limited. 2011. Retrieved February 12, 2012.
- "The 50 best business schools". Business Today. 28 October 2012. Retrieved 28 October 2012.
- "Top B-Schools in India". CNBC-TV18. 12 January 2012. Retrieved 13 February 2012.