|IATA: IWJ – ICAO: RJOW|
|Location||Masuda, Shimane, Japan|
|Elevation AMSL||177 ft / 54 m|
|Source: Japanese AIP at AIS Japan|
Iwami Airport (石見空港 Iwami Kūkō?) (IATA: IWJ, ICAO: RJOW) is an airport located 2.8 NM (5.2 km; 3.2 mi) Masuda, Shimane Prefecture, Japan. It is also known as Hagi-Iwami Airport due to its proximity to the city of Hagi in Yamaguchi Prefecture. It is a 2 or 3 hour drive from the old town of Iwami, its primary namesake.
Iwami Airport opened in July 1993 with service to Tokyo Haneda and Osaka Itami. These services experienced weak passenger demand in the airport's first years of operation, despite local subsidies and reduced landing fees intended to make them more competitive. The Iwami-Haneda route boarded a record number of passengers in 2013 after Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni opened for passenger flights, as this made it possible to create tour packages to Izumo-taisha, Itsukushima Shrine and other regional attractions using both airports as gateways. Iwami's IATA airport code of IWJ was originally used by Iwakuni when it hosted international flights between 1952 and 1964.
Airlines and destinations
|All Nippon Airways||Tokyo-Haneda|
|All Nippon Airways operated by ANA Wings||Seasonal: Osaka-Itami|
- AIS Japan
- Shimane Prefecture: Airports (English)
- "萩・石見空港、羽田便が年間７万人突破 13年度". Nihon Keizai Shimbun. 10 March 2014. Retrieved 11 March 2014.
- "12月開港の岩国空港略称、「ＩＷＫ」に決まる". Nihon Keizai Shimbun. 28 July 2012. Retrieved 11 March 2014. "国交省大阪航空局などによると、1952～64年の間、岩国は国際空港として民間機が発着しており、このときの略称はＩＷＪだったという。これは現在、石見空港（島根県益田市）の略称として使われている。"
- Shimane Prefecture page about Iwami Airport (Japanese)
- Current weather for RJOW at NOAA/NWS
- Accident history for IWJ at Aviation Safety Network
|This article about a Japanese airport is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Shimane Prefecture location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|