Jason Thompson (basketball)
Thompson with the Kings
|No. 34 – Sacramento Kings|
|Power forward / Center|
July 21, 1986 |
Mount Laurel Township, New Jersey
|Listed height||6 ft 11 in (211 cm)|
|Listed weight||250 lb (113 kg)|
|High school||Lenape (Medford, New Jersey)|
|NBA draft||2008 / Round: 1 / Pick: 12th overall|
|Selected by the Sacramento Kings|
|Pro playing career||2008–present|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Stats at NBA.com|
Jason Carlton Thompson (born July 21, 1986) is an American professional basketball player for the Sacramento Kings of the NBA. He was the starting center of the Rider University men's basketball team until 2008.
Thompson is currently listed at 6 feet, 11 inches, and 245 lbs He was one of three players in the NCAA in 2007 to average 20 points, and 10 rebounds per game. The other two were Kevin Durant of Texas and Nick Fazekas of Nevada.
As a senior during the 2007–08 season, Thompson averaged 20.4 points, 12.1 rebounds, 2.7 blocks and 1.1 steals per game. His strongest performance was on March 9, 2008 when he scored 32 points and grabbed 18 rebounds against Marist College. He led Rider to the 2008 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference Tournament finale against Siena College a day later. Rider fell short in a 74–53 loss in which Thompson registered 22 points and 12 rebounds. Rider finished the regular season and conference tournament schedule with a strong 23–10 record, but still missed an at-large bid to the NIT. However, Rider did receive a bid to the inaugural College Basketball Invitational tournament in 2008. Rider lost its first round game to the Old Dominion University Monarchs 68–65; Thompson finished with 15 points, 17 rebounds and 3 blocks.
He was selected 12th overall by the Sacramento Kings in the 2008 NBA Draft.
On June 25, 2012, the Kings extended a qualifying offer to Thompson, making him a restricted free agent. On July 11, 2012, the Kings agreed to re-sign Thompson.
Thompson's younger brother Ryan played guard for the Rider Broncs from 2006 to 2010.
NBA career statistics
|GP||Games played||GS||Games started||MPG||Minutes per game|
|FG%||Field goal percentage||3P%||3-point field goal percentage||FT%||Free throw percentage|
|RPG||Rebounds per game||APG||Assists per game||SPG||Steals per game|
|BPG||Blocks per game||PPG||Points per game||Bold||Career high|
- Staff. "Evands has a less-than-stellar homecoming", The Philadelphia Inquirer, January 16, 2010. Accessed January 30, 2011. "That honor went to one of Evans' teammates, 6–11 Jason Thompson of Mount Laurel and Lenape High."
- Carchidi, Sam. "Lenape's Thompson selects Rider", The Philadelphia Inquirer, October 21, 2003. "Senior Jason Thompson, a 6-foot-8 forward/center from Lenape High, has made an oral commitment to attend Rider University on a basketball scholarship, Indians coach Bill Lange announced yesterday." Accessed April 9, 2008.
- USAToday - Kings take Thompson with 12th pick. Retrieved on June 28, 2008.
- Rider Broncs Statistics - 2007-08
- Rider 76, Marist 71 - Recap - March 9, 2008
- Fisher lifts Siena to fourth NCAA berth
- Old Dominion 68, Rider 65 - Recap - March 18, 2008
- "Kings Extend Qualifying Offer To Jason Thompson". NBA.com. June 25, 2012. Retrieved June 26, 2012.
- "Jason Thompson". databaseBasketball.com (formerly "BasketballReference.com").