Jefferson de Oliveira Galvão
|Full name||Jefferson de Oliveira Galvão|
|Date of birth||2 January 1983|
|Place of birth||São Vicente, São Paulo, Brazil|
|Height||190 cm (6 ft 3 in)|
|2003–2005||→ Botafogo (loan)||49||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 15 May 2014.
† Appearances (Goals).
Jefferson de Oliveira Galvão, simply known as Jefferson (born January 2, 1983) is a Brazilian professional football goalkeeper who currently plays for Botafogo FR and the Brazil national football team.
Born in São Vicente, São Paulo, Jefferson was an amateur sprinter before joining Ferroviária's youth setup in 1995, aged 12. He was a forward during his starts at the club, but was reconverted to goalkeeper in the process.
In 2003, after committing a number of high-profile mistakes at Cruzeiro, he was loaned to Botafogo in the same division.
In the 2005 summer, Jefferson joined Trabzonspor in a four-year deal, as a replacement for Australian goalkeeper Michael Petkovic. He made his debut abroad on 8 June, starting in a 2–1 home success against Kayserispor.
Jefferson appeared in further 14 matches in the season as Botafogo narrowly avoided relegation. On 18 April 2010 he saved a penalty from Adriano, which granted his side's title of Campeonato Carioca.
On 28 June 2011 Jefferson renewed his link with the club, signing until the end of 2014. He was also elected the best goalkeeper of that year.
Jefferson was a starter for the Brazil under-20's during the 2003 winning campaign, which was held in United Arab Emirates. On July 2011, he was called up to the main squad ahead of 2011 Copa América. However, Jefferson acted as a backup to Júlio César, who started in all matches.
On 14 September 2011 he made his first international appearance with the main squad, starting in a 0–0 draw at Argentina, for that year's Superclásico de las Américas. Jefferson also started in the second leg, a 2-0 home success.
On 7 October Jefferson played his third match for the full side, replacing injured Júlio César in a 1–0 success against Costa Rica. He was selected among the 23-man ahead of 2013 FIFA Confederations Cup and 2014 FIFA World Cup.
- FIFA World Youth Championship: 2003
- Superclásico de las Américas: 2011
- FIFA Confederations Cup: 2013
- "2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil: List of Players" (PDF). FIFA. 11 June 2014. p. 6. Retrieved 10 July 2014.
- "Jefferson - Profile". Confederations Cup Brazil 2013. FIFA.com. Archived from the original on 2013-11-10. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- Jefferson foi velocista e ajudante de palhaço antes de chegar à Seleção (Jefferson was a sprinter and clown helper before getting to Seleção); G1, 24 May 2014 (Portuguese)
- Jefferson resmen Trabzonspor’da (Jefferson officially in Trabzonspor); NTV, 7 July 2005 (Turkish)
- Trabzonspor 2–1 Kayserispor; TFF, 8 June 2005 (Turkish)
- Jefferson Konyaspor'da (Jefferson in Konyaspor); LIG TV, 10 July 2008 (Spanish)
- Botafogo acerta com Jefferson, e goleiro pode ser apresentado nesta sexta (Botafogo signs Jefferson, and goalkeeper may be presented this friday); Globo Esporte, 25 August 2009 (Portuguese)
- Bota e Flu empatam e seguem abraçados na zona de rebaixamento (Bota and Flu draw and keep embraced in the relegation zone); Globo Esporte, 13 September 2009 (Portuguese)
- Botafogo vence, espanta "freguesia" e leva título antecipado (Botafogo wins, amazes "clientage" and gets anticipated title); Terra, 18 April 2010 (Portuguese)
- Jefferson prorroga contrato com o Botafogo até 2014 (Jefferson extends contract with Botafogo until 2014); Diário Lance!, 28 June 2011 (Portuguese)
- Superclássico? Argentina e Brasil fazem jogo sem sal (Superclássico? Argentina and Brazil play a boring game); Diário Lance!, 14 September 2011 (Portuguese)
- Brasil derrota Argentina e fatura Superclássico das Américas (Brazil defeats Argentina and wins Superclássico de las Américas); O Estado de S. Paulo, 29 September 2011 (Portuguese)
- Neymar marca, e Brasil vence a Costa Rica em jogo sonolento (Neymar scores, and Brazil defeats Costa Rica in a sleepy game); IG, 8 October 2011 (Portuguese)
- "Felipão convocou os 23 jogadores para a Copa das Confederações" [Scolari called on 23 players for the FIFA Confederations Cup] (in Portuguese). CBF. 14 May 2013. Retrieved 17 May 2013.
- World Cup 2014: Kaka and Robinho omitted from Brazil squad; BBC Sport, 7 May 2014
- Jefferson de Oliveira Galvão profile at Soccerway
- Jefferson at National-Football-Teams.com
- "Anderson Hernanes".
- "Neymar’s Religion Helps Ease Burden Amid Concern of Divisiveness".
- Giana Guterres (5 March 2013). "Jefferson, goleiro do Botafogo, lê Salmo 91 antes de todos os jogos". The Christian Post (in Portugese). Retrieved 12 July 2014.
- CBF profile (Portuguese)
- Profile at TFF (Turkish)
- Jefferson de Oliveira Galvão – FIFA competition record