Official Jism 2 poster
|Directed by||Pooja Bhatt|
|Produced by||Pooja Bhatt
|Written by||Mahesh Bhatt
(Story & Screenplay)
Arko Pravo Mukherjee
Abdul Basit Sayeed
|Edited by||Devendra Murdeshwar|
Clockwork Films Private Limited
|Distributed by||Fish Eye Network Pvt. Ltd.
|Budget||₹70 million (US$1.1 million)|
|Box office||₹349.7 million (US$5.6 million)|
Jism 2 is a 2012 erotic thriller film directed by Pooja Bhatt. It is the sequel to the 2003 film Jism and marks the debut of Indo-Canadian former pornographic actress Sunny Leone in Bollywood. Jism 2 was launched on 1 December 2011, on popular Indian television show Bigg Boss, making the launch a first time ever in the history of Indian Cinema. Mahesh Bhatt compared Jism 2 to Italian romance drama Last Tango in Paris. Jism 2 has been passed with an A-certificate by the Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC). Jism 2 had paid previews on 2 August 2012, one day prior to its worldwide release.
At the beginning, Izna, a porn star (Sunny Leone), is lying dead in the grass, but she says that she wants to ask forgiveness from somebody for her sins. The story then goes back six months.
Izna is hired by an intelligence officer Aayan Thakur (Arunoday Singh) and Security Chief Guru Saldanah (Arif Zakaria) to become a 'honey-trap' and help them retrieve critical information from a dreaded assassin, Kabir Wilson (Randeep Hooda). During this mission, Aayan gets to know about Izna's previous relationships with Kabir when Kabir himself used to work for the intelligence. During one of his missions where Izna was being used for drug-peddling in a pub, which she was unaware of, Kabir arrested the guilty drug-peddlers, and Izna explained that she was innocent. Kabir took a coin from her and explained how the coin saved her from an arrest. He had seen her pick it up from the street after she dropped it, something a person in a drug-cartel would not do. Izna started loving Kabir and followed him home, handing him a love letter written in her own blood. Both started loving each other, but one day, Kabir disappeared without any word. Six years passed and Izna did not find him despite many efforts.
After Izna agrees to the mission, she is taken to a residential colony in Sri Lanka to live where Kabir also lived with an identity of a musician. Izna is asked to act as Aayan's fiancee and is given a story of how they both met each other. Izna then is asked to go to Kabir's house to introduce herself as his new neighbour, but he acts as if he does not recognise her. The very next day, he writes "Sorry" on her window in his blood but flees as soon as a phone call comes. Kabir attacks Guru Saldanah's team but Saldanah makes an escape and plans to stop the operation. Aayan plans to steal the data from Kabir while Izna takes Kabir out. Izna sends a letter to Kabir telling him that she wants to meet him, and Kabir leaves his house. Aayan moves to Kabir's house to steal the data. When he copies data from Kabir's laptop, it gives Kabir an alert to his phone, and Kabir runs towards his house. Aayan escapes with the data, but he later discovers that it had all been falsified. Izna says that she will never forgive Kabir and will bring him down.
Kabir, who still trusts Izna, had never had reason for suspicion of her; not so with his trusted friend Sumit, who suspects her and warns Kabir about her. Kabir proposes to marry her and asks Izna to shift to his house and leave Aayan. Izna agrees to this. But in the meantime, Aayan, who has fallen for Izna, is angered upon hearing this. She claims that she will only be able to steal the data once she gets into Kabir's house. She moves to his house and starts staying with Kabir. Kabir asks Sumit to arrange for a priest for the marriage, who accidentally reads an SMS to Aayan on Izna's phone, which proved she was a spy. Sumit goes to kill Aayan, but instead, he is himself killed in a gun battle. Aayan calls Izna for some urgent talk and expresses his fears that they can no longer play this risky game as when Kabir will find out that Sumit is killed, he will kill Izna. Aayan gives her poison and asks her to mix it into Kabir's drink.
When Izna is not at home, Kabir goes to Aayan's house and discovers Sumit's hearing aid. To find more about Sumit, Kabir searches the house and ends up discovering a book inside Izna's bag which has a similar story that Izna told to Kabir regarding her meeting Aayan. This confirms Sumit's suspicions, and Kabir waits for Izna. When she does return, she offers him coffee. However, she blends the poison Aayan had given her into the coffee she serves him. Kabir tells Izna that years ago, he had left Izna for a sting operation, only to discover, during the operation, that the country's own officers, security forces and politicians were corrupt. Therefore, he had shortlisted them and then he had them killed. According to Kabir, he was a patriot, not a terrorist.
Dumping out the poisoned coffee undrunk, Kabir tells Izna that the Guru Saldanah is a fraud, and his team impostors, who will kill Izna once they get the hard disk containing the original data. He asks Izna to escape and offers her a new passport, tickets, and access to an account maintained at a Swiss bank from which she can withdraw unlimited money. When Kabir hugs and kisses her before their separation, Izna shoots him in the stomach, upon which Kabir immediately dies. Running away with the hard disk containing the original data, she goes to Guru Saldanah and hands over the hard disk to him. However, she is soon surprised to know that Guru Saldanah is indeed a fraud, as Kabir had pointed out, and that after the task, she was supposed to have been killed. Aayan was given this responsibility, but he had changed his mind as he was in love with her. As Saldanah tried to kill Izna himself, Aayan tackled him and killed him instead.
Izna told Aayan that because of their fraudulent mission, she killed an innocent person, and that too, the love of her life who blindly trusted her. Izna says that she would prefer to die with Kabir than live with Aayan, and attempts to leave with the hard disk. Aayan threatens to shoot Izna if she leaves the house. Izna then leaves the house. Aayan follows her and then shoots her in the back. Aayan approaches her and turns her over. Still alive, Izna shoots Aayan twice and kills him. Then she is seen with Kabir after death, and she tells him that without him, Heaven is not a heaven, and with him, she has no reason be afraid of Hell.
- Sunny Leone as Izna
- Randeep Hooda as Kabir Wilson
- Arunoday Singh as Aayan Thakur
- Arif Zakaria as the Guru Saldanah (Security Chief Intelligence)
- Junayeed Bin Fakhrul as Shemale
- Sumit Nijhawan as Sumit
- Imran Zahid
- Aakash Anand
- Pawan Kumar as Rajanna
Producer-director Mahesh Bhatt entered the house of Bigg Boss for a couple of hours to present a contract deal to Sunny Leone to cast her as the lead actress in this sequel of the film Jism. The film will be directed by his producer-actress daughter Pooja Bhatt
Of casting Sunny Leone in the film, Pooja Bhatt said, "I signed Sunny Leone for the same reason I signed John Abraham in Jism. It was instinct. I broke the perception that models can't act with Jism. Now, I am looking forward to break another perception by signing Sunny Leone, a pornstar in Jism 2." Comparing the two films, Bhatt said that "Jism was a love story for mature audience, Jism 2 is for mature adult audience. We are looking at raising the bar in every sense – emotionally and sensually. It would be the story of human heart, crime of passion, revenge, betrayal, the same elements that made Jism, with a fresh story.
Filming began on 1 April 2012, in Jaipur. The second schedule of Jism 2 was shot in Goa. The last and final shooting schedule of Jism 2 was shot in Sri Lanka The sequel hit the screens on 3 August 2012. It was announced the film will hit 200 theatres in the Andhra Pradesh state in Southeast India in their primary language Telugu. Director Pooja Bhatt is very fond of Sunny Leone for her character izna portrayed in the movie.
CBFC was initially not happy with the lengthy sex scenes in Jism 2 and had declined to issue a certificate. It objected to several scenes, including the oil massage scene where Izna turns around and a prominent portion of her breast was visible.
Subsequently, the film was granted an A-certificate after Pooja Bhatt made some cuts. She said that the cuts had not affected the film.
|The Times of India|
|Daily News and Analysis|
|The Indian Express|
Jism 2 received mixed to negative reviews from critics. Srijana Mitra Das of the Times of India rated the movie 3.5 out 5 and stated, "Jism-2 is a sexy movie – but it's not as dirty a picture as you might expect. Surprisingly, Jism-2 hovers over sex, like a butterfly gliding across one of the many water pools the movie features. Jism-2 offers several surprises, foremost being Leone's performance."
Taran Adarsh of Bollywood Hungama gave the film a score of 2 out of 5, and said, "On the whole, JISM 2 has Sunny Leone as its USP, but the lackluster screenplay and the sluggish pace act as deterrents. However, Sunny Leone in the driver's seat, coupled with a generous dose of skin show and erotica, besides an attention-grabbing title, should act as a honey-trap to lure the audiences. But how one wishes this jism had soul as well!"
Anupama Chopra of the Hindustan Times gave it 2 out 5 noting, "I thought that Jism 2 is a sequel only because it also has sex, might push the envelope again. The film is an anti-climactic let-down.".
Sukanya Verma of Rediff.com gave the film a score of 1.5 out of 5, concluding that "It's like Sunny Leone's assets are the script, screenplay and sole purpose of Jism 2 and everyone outside that – Hooda, Singh, Zakaria or the audience – is obliged to wag their tongues with thrill. Well, duh, for thinking otherwise."
Mayank Shekhar on his website theW14.com writes,"By the time you hit the climax, of the film of course, you realise, there was hardly more sex in it than any other skin flick, and you had to sit through two growling naked guys (Arunoday, Randeep) and a psycho boss (Arif Zakaria) instead, babbling over international terrorism. Audiences are known to giggle at uncomfortable sex scenes."
Rajeev Masand of CNN-IBN awarded it a score of 1 out of 5 while commenting that he thinks "the plot itself is like a big, black hole there is no coming out of. For all its pretentious babble on love and pain, it's a film that leaves your own jism in much pain as you finally get out of your seat."
Independent Bollywood gave 1 out of 5 stars and commented "No Jism in Jism 2".
The promotion and release of Jism 2 sparked protests by social conservatives across India, including by the National Students Union of India in Allahabad, Bajrang Dal in Bhopal, Assam, Amritsar (where effigies of Leone and Pooja Bhatt were burned) and Mumbai (where protesters tore down posters promoting the film). Many protesters have also taken up legal action against the showing of the film. Rakesh Nayayik, an activist from Varanasi, has accused Jism 2 of illegally promoting a porn star, and has filed a PIL in the Allahabad High Court to ban the film.
Jism 2 opened well with collections above 90% on average and some places having stronger collections in the 60–70% range in its opening day. Jism 2 performed strongly on its opening day at the box office with collection of around ₹75.0 million (US$1.2 million) adding to the ₹15.0 million (US$240,000) nett paid previews. The film had a huge fall on the second day as it collected around ₹55.0 million (US$870,000) mainly due to negative critical reception and word of mouth. Jism 2 scored well over its first weekend due to a good opening including paid previews at around ₹205.0 million (US$3.3 million). The film dropped on Monday and collected around ₹25.0 million (US$400,000), on Tuesday there was a further drop collecting, ₹17.5 million (US$280,000) taking the five-day business of the film to ₹247.5 million (US$3.9 million) nett. Jism 2 had a decent first week of ₹295.0 million (US$4.7 million) nett including business from paid previews. The film had a steep good in its second weekend collecting around ₹85.0 million (US$1.3 million) nett. Jism 2 did good in week two and collected around ₹145.0 million (US$2.3 million) and taking its two-week total to around ₹345.0 million (US$5.5 million) nett. Boxofficeindia declared the film as "Semi-Hit". After three weeks its total is ₹349.7 million (US$5.6 million).
Jism 2 took in around $100,000 overseas. It had released on around 60 prints there in four days.
The soundtrack of Jism 2 is composed by Arko Pravo Mukherjee, Mithoon, Abdul Basit Sayeed & Rushk a Pakistani gothic fiction band. The new composers were replaced by the original composer of Jism M M Kreem.
|1||Abhi Abhi (Male)||KK||Arko Pravo Mukherjee|
|2||Yeh Kasoor||Sonu Kakkar||Mithoon|
|3||Maula||Ali Azmat||Arko Pravo Mukherjee|
|4||Yeh Jism Hai Toh Kya||Ali Azmat||Arko Pravo Mukherjee|
|5||Darta Hoon (Adhoora)||Nazia Zuberi Hassan||Rushk|
|6||Abhi Abhi (Duet)||KK, Akriti Kakkar||Arko Pravo Mukherjee|
|7||Hey Walla||Unoosha||Abdul Basit Sayeed|
The music of the movie was met with mostly positive review. Joginder Tuteja of Bollywood Hungama gave 3 and half out of 5 stars and concluded "Ultimately, Jism 2 delivers a tad more than what seemed like a promise before the album was played. A package affair that goes well with the theme of the film, it also ensures that there is a consistent sound right through the album which doesn't distract a listener or make him jump into the next track". He picked Abhi Abhi, Maula, Yeh Jism as his favourate. Times of India rated it with 4 stars out of five and remarked "The soundtrack has been assembled well and its variety will prove to be its key to success. It also backs the sensuality of the film quite well".
- "Arko to compose music for 'Jism 2'". Times of India. 17 April 2012. Retrieved 22 April 2012.
- "Sunny Leone, Poonam Pandey won't clash". "India today". Retrieved 28 May 2012.
- Social Post (4 June 2012). "Confirmed: Jism 2 release date preponed | News – Oneindia Entertainment". Entertainment.oneindia.in. Retrieved 25 September 2012.
- "Jism 2 made 21 crore in opening weekend". "India today". Retrieved 6 August 2012.
- "Box Office Earnings 17/08/12 – 23/08/12 (Nett Collections in Ind Rs)". boxofficeindia.
- "Sunny Leone confirmed for Jism 2". Hindustan Times. 18 January 2012. Retrieved 19 January 2012.
- Mahesh Bhatt compares 'Jism 2' to 'Last Tango In Paris', known for explicit sexual content.
- Jism 2 comparison
- Sunny Leone's Jism 2 gets A certificate
- "Boxofficeindia.com". Boxofficeindia.com. Retrieved 25 September 2012.
- "Sunny Leone says yes to Mahesh Bhatt". Hindustan Times. Hindustan Times. Retrieved 19 January 2012.
- "Sunny Leone cast on instinct: Pooja Bhatt". "Hindustan Times". Retrieved 27 April 2012.
- "Jism 2 goes on floor on April fools day". Times of India. 28 March 2012. Retrieved 27 April 2012.
- "Jism 2 team off to Sri Lanka". 13 May 2012. Retrieved 12 May 2012.
- "'Jism 2' to release on 3 August 2012". 5 June 2012.
- "Jism 2 to release in Telugu". 27 July 2012. Retrieved 28 July 2012.
- Jism 2 gets 'A' Certificate
- Das, Srijana (2 August 2012). "Srijana Das review". timesofindia. Retrieved 2 August 2012.
- Adarsh, Taran (3 August 2012). "Taran adarsh review". Bollywood hungama. Retrieved 3 August 2012.
- Chopra, Anupama (4 August 2012). "Anupama Chopra review". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 4 August 2012.
- Verma, Sukanya (3 August 2012). "Sukanya Verma review". Retrieved 3 August 2012.
- Masand, Rajeev (4 August 2012). "Rajeev Masand review". ibnlive.in.com. Retrieved 4 August 2012.
- Saif, Faisal (3 August 2012). "Jism 2 Movie Review". Independent Bollywood. Retrieved 3 August 2012.
- "Jism-2: Activists demand ban on movie – Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 25 September 2012.
- "Protest against showing Jism 2 | newkerala.com | 61208". newkerala.com. Retrieved 25 September 2012.
- "Protest against Jism 2 in Assam – Entertainment – DNA". Dnaindia.com. 3 August 2012. Retrieved 25 September 2012.
- "Sunny Friday: Jism 2 releases today". Movies.ndtv.com. 3 August 2012. Retrieved 25 September 2012.
- "Sunny Leone's 'Jism' too hot for BMC!". Zeenews.india.com. Retrieved 25 September 2012.
- "Leading News Resource of Pakistan". Daily Times. Retrieved 25 September 2012.
- "Jism 2 Opens Well at the Box Office". boxofficeindia. 4 August 2012.
- "Jism 2 First Day Territorial Breakdown". boxofficeindia. 4 August 2012.
- "Jism 2 Has Heavy Fall on Saturday". Boxofficeindia. 5 August 2012. Retrieved 5 August 2012.
- "Jism 2 Has Good Weekend Due To Opening". boxofficeindia. 6 August 2012.
- "Jism 2 Crashes Further on Tuesday". Boxofficeindia. Retrieved 8 August 2012.
- "Jism 2 Week One Territorial Breakdown". boxofficeindia. Retrieved 13 August 2012.
- "Jism 2 Has Heavy Fall in Second Weekend". Boxofficeindia. Retrieved 13 August 2011.
- "Ek Tha Tiger Smashes All Records Gangs of Wasseypur Part 2 Is Flop". boxofficeindia. Retrieved 18 August 2012.
- "Boxofficeindia.com". Boxofficeindia.com. 8 August 2012. Retrieved 25 September 2012.
- Sonal Chawla. "Jism 2 track credited to wrong singer". Mumbai Mirror. Retrieved 2 February 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jism 2.|