|Type of site||Internet encyclopedia project|
|Created by||Kazakh wiki community|
The Kazakh Wikipedia is a Wikipedia in the Kazakh language. It started in June 2002. The Kazakh Wikipedia has a very high growth rate, going from 7000 articles to 100,000 in 1 year period, largely due to the incorporation of materials from the Kazakh Encyclopedia, which have been released under a Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike License (CC BY-SA). The rapid expansion of Kazakh Wikipedia started in 2011. It was initiated by the non-profit Wikibilim Foundation. Eventually, the state-supported Samruk Kazyna Foundation sponsored the expansion, with 30 million tenge spent in 2011 for paid editing, digitalization, and author rights transfer.
In April 2012 Tengri News reported that "in 2011, the Samruk Kazyna Sovereign Wealth Fund allocated a total of $204 thousand to develop the Kazakh-language Wikipedia. This year, another $136 thousand will be earmarked", citing the Fund’s Press Service.
Its unique feature is that it is written in three different scripts: Cyrillic, Latin, and Arabic. On 26 October 2011, it passed the 100,000 articles threshold, and by the end of December 2012 had just over 200,000 articles.
As of June 2013, the Kazakh Wikipedia counts about 203,000 articles. The overwhelming majority of its readers originate from Kazakhstan.
As of April 2013, the Kazakh Wikipedia's number of articles accounts for approximately 14% of all the articles written in a Turkic language, making it the second largest edition in the family after Turkish, which accounts for 28% of all Turkic articles.
Kazakh Wikipedia logo at the time of the Turkic Wikimedia Conference. (April 2012)
- "Проект по расширению казахскоязычной части "Википедии" стартовал в Казахстане" (in Russian). gazeta.kz. Retrieved 27 April 2012.
- "На развитие "Казахской Википедии" выделили 50 миллионов тенге" (in Russian). Tengri News. Retrieved 27 April 2012.
- https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wikipedias_by_language_group List of Wikipedias by Language Group
|Kazakh Wikipedia edition of Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia|
- Media related to Kazakh Wikipedia at Wikimedia Commons
- (Kazakh) Kazakh Wikipedia
- (Kazakh) Kazakh Wikipedia mobile version
|This Wikipedia-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|