|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2008)|
||This article may be expanded with text translated from the corresponding article in the Korean Wikipedia. (August 2012)|
"Wikipedia - the encyclopedia that belongs to us all."
|Slogan||우리 모두의 백과사전|
|Type of site||Internet encyclopedia project|
|Revised Romanization||Han(-)gugeo Wikibaekgwa|
The Korean Wikipedia (Korean: 한국어 위키백과) is the Korean language edition of the Wikipedia. It was founded in October 2002 and reached ten thousand articles on 4 June 2005. As of March 16, 2014, it has 270,098 articles and is the 23rd largest Wikipedia.
The Korean Wikipedia initially used an older version of MediaWiki, the software had problems representing Hangul, which limited usage. In August 2002, the software was upgraded and started to support non-English scripts such as hangul. However, Internet Explorer continued to have an encoding problem, which kept contributions to the encyclopedia low. Nevertheless, from October 2002 to July 2003, the number of articles increased from 13 to 159, and in August 2003 it reached 348. Finally, in September 2003 the hangul problem was solved. From September 2003, with no accessing difficulty once the encoding error in IE was solved, the number of contributions and visits increased. Korean Wikipedia's prospects became even more optimistic following the momentum created by substantial coverage in the Korean media.
Korean Wikipedia won the Information Trust Award in the general Internet culture branch in 2005.
Hangul and Hanja
The Korean Wikipedia is written almost entirely in hangul. Hanja is only used in order to clarify certain phrases, and is usually parenthesized. There is a group, named Dajimo, that is actively working to introduce a mixed script system to the Korean Wikipedia. A request for a separate Wikipedia in mixed script, however, was rejected.
There are two major standards in the Korean language, the South Korea standard, and the North Korea standard. North Koreans are underrepresented on the Korean Wikipedia, due to North Korean censorship of the Internet in North Korea. Therefore, most users of the Korean Wikipedia are South Koreans and most articles are written in the South Korean style. The official name of the Wikipedia is 한국어 위키백과 Hangugeo Wiki-baekgwa. Hangugeo is the name for the Korean language in South Korea, and baekgwa is a clipped form of 백과사전 baekgwasajeon "encyclopedia".
Services derived from Korean Wikipedia
Businesses heavily make use of Korean Wikipedia in various ways, for its license, the Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike License (CC BY-SA), allows modification and distribution for commercial purpose.
Empas integrated Korean Wikipedia database in its search since August 11, 2005. The feature to search Korean Wikipedia using a mobile phone with a wireless Internet connection through Nate was available to the subscribers of SK Telecom since July 6, 2007. Since August 21, Daum mirrored Korean Wikipedia and English Wikipedia on its portal, and Naver also started to present the search results from Korean and English Wikipedia prior to others from January 11, 2008.
Pressures from right-wing establishments
Despite the South Korean conservative New Rights establishments pressured the government to approve the term, liberal democracy, to represent South Korea in Korean history textbooks, the head of the National Institute of Korean History, Lee Tae-jin (이태진), proposed to use this political term by citing the Korean version of Wikipedia as a main source.
- "Meta Milestones Page" (Web). Wikimedia Foundation Inc. 2005. Retrieved 2007-09-06.
- "List of Wikipedias" (Web). Wikimedia Foundation Inc. 2014. Retrieved 2014-03-16.
- http://web.archive.org/ - There is site which can see Korean Wikipedia in 2003. There is has Wikipedia Logo in 2002.
-  - Article 대한민국 in 2003. Encoding can be seen to be broken.
- Wikimedia Meta-Wiki, Requests for new languages/Wikipedia Hanja. Accessed 2010-09-11.
- 'Wikipedia', an encyclopedia authorized by netizens ...Empas - iNews24, August 11, 2005
- Wikipedia on your phone - ETNews, July 6, 2007
- Daum, Encyclopedia improved ...'Wikipedia' search presented - eDaily, August 21, 2007
- Naver, Wikipedia Search service launched - ETNews, January 11, 2008. On Naver's search results page, the search results from Wikipedia, which was categorized as "knowledge base", were listed prior to the results categorized as "web page".
- story K Official Website
- 北 편들고 南 깎아내리는 위키피디아 (Korean Wikipedia that favors North Korea; does not favor South Korea) 2011-07-16 Donga Ilbo
- Song (송), Hyeon-suk (현숙). "[기자메모] 위키피디아 보고 ‘자유민주주의’ 택했다는 국사편찬위원장". The Hankyoreh (in Korean). Retrieved 2011-12-03.
|Korean edition of Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia|