July 20, 1950 |
|Institutions||University of Chicago|
|Alma mater||Hungarian Academy of Sciences|
|Doctoral advisor||Pál Turán
Vera T. Sós
|Doctoral students||Péter Hajnal
László (Laci) Babai (born July 20, 1950 in Budapest) is a Hungarian professor of mathematics and computer science at the University of Chicago. His research focuses on computational complexity theory, algorithms, combinatorics, and finite groups, with an emphasis on the interactions between these fields. He is the author of over 180 academic papers.
His notable accomplishments include the introduction of interactive proof systems, the introduction of the term Las Vegas algorithm, and the introduction of group theoretic methods in graph isomorphism testing.
Babai studied mathematics at Eötvös Loránd University from 1968 to 1973, received a Ph.D. from the Hungarian Academy of Sciences in 1975, and received a D.Sc. from the Hungarian Academy of Sciences in 1984. He held a teaching position at Eötvös Loránd University since 1971; in 1987 he took joint positions as a professor in algebra Eötvös Loránd and in computer science at the University of Chicago. In 1995 he began a joint appointment in the mathematics department at Chicago and gave up his position at Eötvös Loránd.
In 1988, Babai won the Hungarian State Prize, in 1990 he was elected as a corresponding member of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences, and in 1994 he became a full member. In 1999 the Budapest University of Technology and Economics awarded him an honorary doctorate.
In 2005, the University of Chicago gave him the Llewellyn John and Harriet Manchester Quantrell Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching.
- Curriculum vitae from Babai's web site, retrieved 2010-07-30.
- Babai, László; Moran, Shlomo (1988), Arthur-Merlin games: a randomized proof system, and a hierarchy of complexity class, J. Comput. Syst. Sci. 36 (2): 254–276, doi:10.1016/0022-0000(88)90028-1.
- Babai, László (1979), Monte-Carlo algorithms in graph isomorphism testing, Tech. Report, Université de Montréal.
- László Babai at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Theory of Computing editors, retrieved 2010-07-30.
- 1993 Gödel Prize, ACM SIGACT, retrieved 2010-08-14.
- Llewellyn John and Harriet Manchester Quantrell Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching (June 2005).
- Media related to László Babai at Wikimedia Commons
- Personal website.
- MathSciNet: "Items authored by Babai, László."
- DBLP: László Babai.