Dot To Dot Fesival, Bristol 23 May 2009
|Born||Marcus Oliver Johnstone Mumford
January 31, 1987
Anaheim, California, U.S.
|Spouse(s)||Carey Mulligan (m. 2012)|
Marcus Oliver Johnstone Mumford (born 31 January 1987) is an English-American musician, best known as the lead singer of the band Mumford & Sons. He also plays a number of instruments with the group, including guitar, drums and mandolin.
Early life and career
Marcus was born on 31 January 1987, in Anaheim, California, to English parents. As a result, he has held both British and United States citizenship from birth. Mumford has an older brother, James and a sister.
Mumford's family moved back to their native England when Marcus was six months old. He grew up on Chatsworth Avenue in Wimbledon Chase, southwest London, and attended King's College School in Wimbledon. There he met future fellow band member Ben Lovett. He returned to London to focus on his music career after his first year of study at the University of Edinburgh.
It was in Edinburgh that he penned most of Mumford & Sons' debut album, Sigh No More. He began his musical career playing drums for Laura Marling on tour, along with the other current members of Mumford & Sons. It was through touring with Marling and gaining experience playing important gigs, as well as experimenting with his early writing that they decided to set up the band in 2007.
Mumford was included in the Forbes 30 Under 30 list of music stars in December 2012 for his achievements with Mumford & Sons. Forbes commented of the list which also included acts such as Adele and Rihanna: "In sum they represent the entrepreneurial, creative and intellectual best of their generation. Individually, they are engaging, surprising and incredibly hardworking."
Mumford sang a cover of "Dink's Song" with Oscar Isaac for the 2013 Coen brothers film Inside Llewyn Davis. Although Mumford is not seen in the film, he is said to be the protagonist's musical partner, Mike, who has committed suicide before the starting point of the film.
Mumford is featured on the 2014 collaborative album Lost on the River: The New Basement Tapes, with other artists including Elvis Costello, Rhiannon Giddens, Taylor Goldsmith, Jim James, Jay Bellerose, and T Bone Burnett. Mumford takes co-writing credits on tracks, "Kansas City", "When I Get My Hands On You", "The Whistle Is Blowing", "Stranger", and "Lost On The River #20".
On September 23, 2014, the video for "When I Get My Hands On You" was released and features Mumford on lead vocals.
Mumford has stated that he believes in God, but does not identify as Christian or adhere to strict religious beliefs. 
Mumford formerly dated Laura Marling from whom he separated in late 2010. In April 2012 Mumford married English actress Carey Mulligan in Somerset, England. They were childhood pen pals who lost touch and reconnected as adults. They married a few weeks after wrapping production on the Coen brothers film Inside Llewyn Davis, in which they were both involved.
- "Jared Sagal interviews Mumford and Sons EXCLUSIVE!!!". YouTube. Retrieved 1 October 2012.
- "How Mumford & Sons brother tackled thug in street assault". Daily Telegraph. 22 September 2013. Retrieved 20 November 2014.
- "The Tatler List". Tatler.
- Rick Pearson (11 September 2009). "The bookshop band Mumford & Sons – Music – Arts – Evening Standard". Thisislondon.co.uk. Retrieved 1 October 2012.
- Walker, Tim (Friday, 6 February 2009) Folk music in the city The Independent[dead link]
- 30 Under 30:Music Forbes. Retrieved (1 April 2013).
- MARCUS MUMFORD, ADELE, ONE DIRECTION INCLUDED IN NEW FORBES LIST Gigwise (19 December 2012). Retrieved (1 April 2013).
- "Listen to and Pre-Order Lost On the River by The New Basement Tapes (ft. Marcus Mumford)". MumsonFans.com. 19 August 2014.
- "New Release: Marcus Mumford takes lead on "When I Get My Hands on You"". MumsonFans.com. 23 September 2014.
- "No 18 February 2002". Jstepney.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk. 18 February 2002. Retrieved 1 October 2012.
- Fisher, Alice (30 May 2010). "Mumford & Sons: sound of the summer". The Guardian (London).
- "Marcus Mumford, Lead Singer Of Mumford & Sons: "I Wouldn't Call Myself A Christian"". The Huffington Post. 3 April 2013.
- Lavinthal, Andrea (21 April 2012). "Exclusive: Carey Mulligan Marries Marcus Mumford!". Us Weekly (Wenner Media LLC). Retrieved 21 April 2012.
- Marcus, Stephanie. "Marcus Mumford Gets Engaged to Carey Mulligan". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 4 August 2011.
- Perpetua, Matthew (21 April 2012). "Carey Mulligan Marries Marcus Mumford: Actress Weds Musician In England". Huffington Post. Retrieved 21 April 2012.
- "Mumford & Sons play gig to raise money for AFC Wimbledon". The BBC. 10 May 2011. Retrieved 16 December 2012.