Salem Municipal Airport
Salem Army Airfield
|IATA: SLE – ICAO: KSLE – FAA LID: SLE|
|Owner||City of Salem|
|Elevation AMSL||214 ft / 65 m|
McNary Field (IATA: SLE, ICAO: KSLE, FAA LID: SLE) (Salem Municipal Airport) is in Marion County, Oregon, two miles southeast of Salem, which owns it. The airport is named for U.S. Senator Charles L. McNary.
McNary Field has had scheduled airline flights, including service via Delta Air Lines that ended in October 2008. The National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems for 2011–2015 categorized it as a primary commercial service facility based on enplanements in 2008 (more than 10,000 per year). Federal Aviation Administration records say the airport had 15,205 passenger boardings (enplanements) in calendar year 2008, an increase from 12,979 in 2007.
United Airlines was the first airline at Salem, in the 1940s; their 737 PDX-SLE-MFR-SFO and back ended in 1980. Scheduled airlines left McNary Field in 1993. The city campaigned to bring airlines back, and on June 7, 2007 Delta Connection came to Salem with two CRJ-200 flights a day to Salt Lake City that ended on October 9, 2008.  Earlier, Horizon Air turboprops flew Salem to Portland and Seattle.
The airport has a control tower, a restaurant, a general aviation center including limited flight training, and a small terminal. The terminal building is about 5,600 square feet (520 m2) after an expansion in 2010 that added ticket counters, a baggage area, and enlarged the waiting area. The expanded facility is more than twice the size of the old terminal, and was designed by Mead & Hunt.
In the year ending September 30, 2013 the airport had 33,611 aircraft operations, average 92 per day: 87% general aviation, 7% military, and 5% air taxi. 216 aircraft were then based at the airport: 71% single-engine, 10% multi-engine, 5% jet, 5% helicopter, 1% glider, and 9% military.
- FAA Airport Master Record for SLE ( PDF). Federal Aviation Administration. Effective April 5, 2012.
- "2011–2015 NPIAS Report, Appendix A" (PDF, 2.03 MB). National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems. Federal Aviation Administration. October 4, 2010.
- "Enplanements for CY 2008" (PDF, 1.0 MB). CY 2008 Passenger Boarding and All-Cargo Data. Federal Aviation Administration. December 18, 2009.
- "Delta to begin two daily flights from Salem to Salt Lake City". Statesman Journal. February 26, 2007.
- Guerrero-Huston, Thelma (October 10, 2008). "Delta goes up, up and away". Statesman Journal. Retrieved October 11, 2008.
- Webber, Angela (April 5, 2011). "Salem to open terminal, re-start commercial air service". Daily Journal of Commerce.
- Salem Municipal Airport - McNary Field]: CityOfSalem.net or http://www.flysalem.org/ FlySalem.org]
- www.FlySalem.com, unofficial website
- Oregon Department of Aviation: AIMS data for KSLE
- Aerial image as of July 2000 from USGS The National Map
- (PDF), effective December 11, 2014
- FAA Terminal Procedures for SLE, effective December 11, 2014
- Resources for this airport: