|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2008)|
|Created by||Fernando Pereira, Kirby Stasyna|
|Country of origin||Canada|
|Running time||25 minutes|
|Original run||June 2000 – present|
|Official web site|
Naked News, billing itself as "the program with nothing to hide", is a subscription website featuring a real television newscast. The show is prepared in Toronto and runs daily, with 25-minute episodes 6 days per week. The female anchors read the news fully nude or strip as they present their news segments. Naked News TV is its offshoot pay-per-view or subscription service. Naked News also aired briefly as a late night television series on Citytv Toronto.
Alongside the English language version, there is also Naked News Japan. And Italian version existed but closed after a few years. Naked News en Español was briefly trialled. A male version in English was also launched but ceased production on 31 October 2007.
Naked News was conceived by Fernando Pereira and Kirby Stasyna and debuted in June 2000 as a web-based news service featuring an all-female cast. It began with only one anchor, Victoria Sinclair (who is still with the program), and has currently grown to eight female anchors, plus guest anchors. The website was popularized entirely by word of mouth, and quickly became a popular web destination. During the height of its popularity, the website was receiving over 6 million hits per month. Part of the large amounts of web traffic in the site's early days was because the entire newscast could be viewed for free and supported by advertising. By 2002, after the crash of Internet advertising, only one news segment could be viewed freely, and by 2004, no free content remained on the website. Beginning in 2005, a nudity-free version of Naked News was available to non-subscribers. Beginning in June 2008, two news segments could be viewed freely. However, this ended in December 2009. The British channel Sumo TV briefly showed episodes of Naked News, while Playboy One, a free-to-view channel in Britain, currently broadcasts the show at 9:30pm Mondays-Fridays.
A male version of the show was created in 2001 to parallel the female version, but has ceased production as it did not enjoy the female version's popularity and fame. Although it was originally targeted towards female viewers (at one point said to be 30% of the website's audience), the male show later promoted itself as news from a gay perspective.
Most of the show's announcers have been recruited through classified ads in alternative newspapers in Toronto. As such, most of the show's crew comes from the Toronto area. The show features occasional on-the-street interviews by topless newscasters, which are made possible by Ontario's Topfree equality laws. Since the show's inception in 2000, there has been much turnover among the newscasters, and many guest anchors. The female announcers have been featured in almost every medium including television (CBS Sunday Morning, The Today Show, The View, Sally Jessy Raphaël, and numerous appearances on Entertainment Tonight and ET Insider) newspapers and magazines, (TV Guide, Playboy) and as guests on multiple radio shows including Howard Stern.
Naked News imitators
- Comédie![dead link] – In 2001, this French cable TV network ran a series promos featuring males and females casually undressing as they read jokes. In 2006 they copied the NN format in its entirety in a striptease newscast called Les Nuz, except the anchors keep their bottom underwear on.
- Radio Tango – Oslo, Norway radio station once featured stripping female weather readers on their website.
- A very similar phenomenon by the name "Noodie News" appears in Canadian Margaret Atwood's 2003 novel Oryx and Crake.
- Počasíčko[dead link] (diminutive of "weather") was Czech TV Nova's past-10PM featurette launched in January 1998 where a nude woman (or occasionally, a man) got dressed in clothing appropriate for the next day's weather forecast. This was discontinued after several years and returned as web-only in February 2007. When Nova launched a new online portal in May 2008, it included a "Red News" section causing controversy; asked about the Naked News, they denied securing license and stressed Počasíčko's primacy.
- In June 2009 plans for Naked News Korea were announced. It featured a similar format to the Canadian version but with less nudity. This was later revealed to be a scam. After barely a month of operations, Naked News Korea, which featured topless news anchors, abruptly closed down amid allegations that the CEO, John Chau, disappeared with all of the company's money. Although Chau bought the naming rights from the Naked News, it was never an official subsidiary of the Toronto-based Canadian company.
- In March 2010, students at the University of Cambridge presented a news segment on Cambridge University Television in the nude.
- French spoof news site Les graves infos (Serious News) was launched in mid-2009 with a stripping weather girl. The site closed in February 2010.
- A 2005 episode of the satirical New Zealand news show Eating Media Lunch depicted newsreaders fornicating in a parody of Naked News called "Fuck News".
- "whois lookup". whois.domaintools.com. Retrieved 17 May 2013.
- "wayback machine". web.archive.org.
- Ashley Hames, "Sin Cities", Tonto Books, 2008, ISBN 0-9556326-0-9, p.33
- Coral Ann Howells, "The Cambridge companion to Margaret Atwood", Cambridge University Press, 2006, ISBN 0-521-83966-1, p.186
- John Moss, Tobi Kozakewich, "Margaret Atwood: The Open Eye", Re-appraisals, Canadian writers, volume 30, University of Ottawa Press, 2006, ISBN 0-7766-0613-1, p.398
- Sharon Rose Wilson, "Myths and fairy tales in contemporary women's fiction: from Atwood to Morrison", Palgrave Macmillan, 2008, ISBN 0-230-60554-0, pp.43,49
- Jan Čulík: More Moribund Manoeuvering, Central Europe Review 1999
- Sarah Harris, "Nudes at 10", Daily Mail, 6 March 2010
- Wikiwix's cache
- "TVNZ and Morrish and Valenta - 2005-137". Retrieved 2008-07-15.[dead link]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Naked News.|
- Naked News
- Naked News Daily Male
- Naked News Official YouTube Channel (dead link)
- Naked News Free iPhone App
- Naked News at the Internet Movie Database