Nea Anchialos National Airport
|Nea Anchialos National Airport
Κρατικός Αερολιμένας Νέας Αγχιάλου
Volos Central Greece Airport
Volos Nea Anchialos Airport of Central Greece
|IATA: VOL – ICAO: LGBL
|Elevation AMSL||83 ft / 25 m|
|Passenger change 10-11||69.7%|
|Movements change 10-11||79.2%|
|Sources: DAFIF Statistics|
Nea Anchialos National Airport (Greek: Κρατικός Αερολιμένας Νέας Αγχιάλου) (IATA: VOL, ICAO: LGBL) is an airport located near the town of Nea Anchialos in Greece. It serves the city of Volos and is also known as Volos Central Greece Airport or Volos Nea Anchialos Airport of Central Greece.
The airport is developed by public partnership and began operation on February 1991. It is the only civilian airport that serves the cities of Volos, Lamia, Larisa, Farsala, Trikala, and Karditsa. The airport is located between the towns of Nea Anchialos, Almyros, Velestino and Farsala, about 20 kilometres (11 NM) west of central Volos, in the Magnesia regional unit, in Thessaly.
||This section is written like a travel guide rather than an encyclopedic description of the subject. (January 2014)|
The airport is designed to be upgraded over the ensuing years in order to accommodate the increase in air travel and its upgrades are planned in a six-phase framework. It currently has one terminal.
A rail station immediately adjacent to the airport terminal (and accessible by an elevated walkway) will be completed in 2013.There is a bus connecting airport and Volos bus station. Buses are waiting to pick up travelers after a plane lands, the cost form the airport to Volos Bus station is 5 €. Travellers of charter flights are transferred to their accommodation by their travelling agency. The airport is also accessible by the E75 highway.
Airlines and destinations
operated by Tyrolean Airways
|HOP!||Seasonal charter: Geneva|
|Monarch Airlines||Seasonal charter: London-Gatwick, Manchester|
|Ryanair||Seasonal: Bergamo, Charleroi, Hahn, Milan-Malpensa (begins 2 June 2014)|
|Small Planet Airlines||Seasonal charter: London-Gatwick|
|Transavia.com||Seasonal charter: Amsterdam|
|Transavia.com France||Seasonal charter: Paris-Orly|
- Airport information for LGBL from DAFIF (effective October 2006)
- Airport information for VOL at Great Circle Mapper. Source: DAFIF (effective Oct. 2006).
- "Monthly airpost statistical data (January - December 2010)". Hellenic Civilian Aviation Authority. www.hcaa.gr. Retrieved 2011-05-16.
- "The Annual Statistical Bulletin of the Civil Aviation Authority". Hellenic Civilian Aviation Authority. www.hcaa.gr. Retrieved 2012-11-11.
- "Volos Airport: About Us". Retrieved 18 April 2011. "Nea Anchialos National Airport operated for the first time in 1991."
- "Κρατικός Αερολιμένας Νέας Αγχιάλου". Retrieved 15 April 2010.
- Hellenic Civil Aviation Authority: Greek Airports
- "Charters Flights / Holidays". gva.ch. Retrieved 28 May 2013.
- "Gatwick Airport Charter Flight Timetable". Retrieved 27 January 2013.
- "Schiphol Amsterdam Airport Timetable". Retrieved 27 January 2013.
- Current weather for LGBL at NOAA/NWS
- Accident history for VOL at Aviation Safety Network