Kavala International Airport
|Kavala International Airport "Alexander The Great"
Kavala International Airport, "Megas Alexandros"
Κρατικός Αερολιμένας Καβάλας, "Μέγας Αλέξανδρος"
|Owner/Operator||Hellenic Civil Aviation Authority|
|Elevation AMSL||18 ft / 5 m|
1. Official airfield data at the Air Traffic Safety Electronic Engineers Association of Hellenic Civil Aviation Authority website lists no official website for the airport 
Kavala International Airport "Alexander the Great" (Greek: Κρατικός Αερολιμένας Καβάλας «Μέγας Αλέξανδρος», Kratikós Aeroliménas Kaválas "Mégas Aléxandros") (IATA: KVA, ICAO: LGKV) is an airport located in the municipality of Nestos, in Greece.
The airport was originally located closer to Kavala, in the installations of the Greek Air Force, near the village of Amygdaleonas, where it began its operations in 1952 as Kavala National Airport. On 12 October 1981, it was moved near the town of Chrysoupoli, where it operates today. The relocation greatly improved the service to the nearby island of Thasos and the city of Xanthi, in addition to the continued service to the cities of Kavala and Drama.
The airport was initially used only for domestic flights, as the original name implies. In December 1987, by a joint decision of the Minister of Presidency and the Minister for Transport and Communications it was renamed to Kavala International Airport to be again renamed in January 1992 to Kavala International Airport "Megas Alexandros", by a decision of the Minister for Transport and Communications.
At the beginning of its operation at its new location, the building infrastructure of the airport included only a terminal building. The control Tower, the fire station and the other installations were built later. A small extension to the terminal building was added in 1992. The runway had been built, with the same dimensions that it has today. In 1998 extensive works began for new building infrastructure and today the airport of Kavala is functioning as a single upgraded total (old and new installations together), including all modern facilities for service both to airlines and passengers, contributing to the growth of East Macedonia and Thrace.
Airlines and destinations
"KTEL KAVALAS AE" is responsible for serving daily routes to the airport.
The taxi fare from the airport to Kavala is almost 30 euros.
- "Κρατικός Αερολιμένας Καβάλας `Μ. Αλέξανδρος` (ΚΑΚΒΑ)". Hellenic Civilian Aviation Authority. www.hcaa.gr. Retrieved 27 June 2011.
- "Πρόγραμμα πτήσεων". Retrieved 24 November 2013.
- Greek Airports: Kavala International Airport, "Megas Alexandros"
- Greek Airport Guide: Kavala Airport, "Megas Alexandros"
- Airport information for LGKV at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.