Chania International Airport
|Chania International Airport, "Daskalogiannis"
Κρατικός Αερολιμένας Χανίων, "Δασκαλογιάννης"
Kratikos Aerolimenas Chanion Daskalogiannis
|IATA: CHQ – ICAO: LGSA|
|Location||Chania, Crete, Greece|
|Focus city for|
|Elevation AMSL||490 ft / 149 m|
Chania International Airport, "Daskalogiannis" (IATA: CHQ, ICAO: LGSA) is an international airport located near Souda Bay on the Akrotiri Peninsula of the Greek island of Crete, serving the city of Chania, 14 kilometres (8.7 mi) away. Moreover, it is a gateway to western Crete for an increasing amount of tourists. The airport is named after Daskalogiannis, a Cretan rebel against Ottoman rule in the 18th century and is a joint civil–military airport.
The focus on civil aviation for the west of Crete has not always been on the current location. It was the airport of Maleme that served civil flights up to 1959, and dating back to the end of Second World War.
Maleme (Military) Airport was constructed by the British Military, shortly before the Second World War. When the war was over, the facility was used as the main public airport of Chania.
In 1959, this activity was transferred to the military airport of Souda. 1967 saw the construction of the first passenger terminal and parking space for two aircraft. In 1974, the airport also began to serve international flights. Because of insufficient capacity, there was the need for a new terminal building. Eventually, in 1996, the new terminal was ready, measuring a surface area of 14,650 square metres (157,700 sq ft), with 6 aircraft stands in front. It has a design capacity of 1.35 million passengers per year. In 2000, it was officially named Ioannis Daskalogiannis.
The airport can be easily reached by car via the main road network. The city of Chania is about 20 minutes drive away.
Other than by car, the facility is linked by airport buses to the city of Chania, from where transfer to other buses is possible. The airport buses depart 7 times daily. Journey time is about half an hour.
Passengers can also take a taxi to any destination across the island. The taxi stand is located just outside the terminal. Taxis operate as long as flights depart and arrive at the airport.
Airlines and destinations
- History of Maleme
- Greek Airports Guide
- http://www.chaniaairport.com Chania Airport website
- "Πρόγραμμα πτήσεων". Retrieved 24 November 2013.
- Langley – Resor till Korsika, Kreta & Karibien. Skidresor till Alperna & Kanada. Langley.eu. Retrieved on 20 August 2013.
- "Flight Timetables – Oslo Airport". Retrieved 16 February 2012.
- New Route to BOH
- New route to DUB
- Flight Timetables – Bergen Airport, Flesland. Avinor.no. Retrieved on 20 August 2013.
- Brno Airport, Brno – Turany internation airport – Brno – Czech Republic. Brno-airport.cz. Retrieved on 20 August 2013.
- Statistical data from the HCAA
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Chania International Airport.|
- Airport unofficial website (in English and Greek)
- HCAA website
- Greek Airport Guide
- Airport information for LGSA at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.