New Century Foundation
|Focus||Immigration to the United States, Race and crime|
|Area served||United States|
The New Century Foundation is an organization founded in 1994 known primarily for publishing American Renaissance. From 1994 to 1999 its activities received considerable funding by the Pioneer Fund, and has been described as a white supremacist group, which its founder, Jared Taylor, denies, calling it white separatist.
Taylor advocates segregation as a natural expression of racial solidarity while denying that his views constitute white supremacism. Viewing societal problems as racial in nature, Taylor upholds white racial homogeneity as the key to peaceful coexistence with other races . He sees Japan as an exemplar of a racially homogenous society, and views Asians generally as genetically superior in intelligence to whites. He also view whites as genetically superior in intelligence to blacks.
Regarding Jews, the ADL writes that "Taylor eschews anti-Semitism. Seeing Jews as white, greatly influential and the “conscience of society,” Taylor rather seeks to partner with Jews who share his views on race and racial diversity" and "Jews have been speakers and/or participants at all eight American Renaissance conferences" although controversy followed accusations by David Duke, who was not a scheduled presenter, at the 2006 conference. Taylor in response wrote that "There will be no more disgraceful behavior of this kind if people who attend AR conferences bear in mind that Jews have a valuable role in the work of American Renaissance, and are welcome participants and speakers. Anyone who thinks otherwise has the choice of staying home or keeping his views to himself."
The Color of Crime
The Color of Crime is a publication by Jared Taylor, describing race differences in criminal offending in the United States. The study argues that African Americans and Hispanics are disproportionately overrepresented among criminal offenders, while Asian Americans are underrepresented. The publication also says that there is more Black-on-White interracial crime than there is White-on-Black crime, and that contrary to popular belief, Blacks commit more white-collar crime than do Whites.
The publication also claims that the police are not biased against Blacks or other ethnic groups. The publication concludes by saying that research into race differences in criminal behavior is a worthwhile pursuit and suggests that immigration policy consider these differences.
According to his findings, of the approximately 1.7 million interracial crimes committed in the U.S. each year, 90% are committed by blacks against whites. The publication argues that, contrary to public belief, Blacks are more likely than Whites to commit hate crimes.
The publication has been reported on C-SPAN. Glenn Spencer, an anti-immigrant activist, promoted it on his website. In The new white nationalism in America: its challenge to integration (Cambridge University Press, 2002), Carol Miller Swain observed that the New Century Foundation faxed conclusions from the publication to major US newspapers, and that its stated purpose was to support the practice of racial profiling.
The Southern Poverty Law Center called it "a kind of Bible" among its supporters but has argued that the reason for the disparity in crime rates shown in the publication is not Black genetics, but rather, the fact that Blacks have a lower socioeconomic status. The SPLC center accuses Taylor of selection bias in his statistics. The SPLC also argues that Whites are targeted for robberies simply because of their higher wealth. However, Taylor counters by arguing that robberies only account for about one quarter of the total crimes committed by Blacks. Social activist and writer Tim Wise wrote an essay titled "The Color of Deception" as a rebuttal of Color of Crime. His essay used data from the FBI and BJS showing that interracial crimes are actually fairly rare; that the vast majority of black (and white) crime is committed against victims of the same race; that whites still account for the majority of crime in the United States; and that part of the reason blacks are over-represented for many crime categories is their neighborhoods are generally much more heavily policed and black suspects are significantly less likely to be acquitted or released with a warning. The book also uses statistical data to argue that blacks are actually over-represented as victims of interracial violence per capita (arguing blacks are 50% more likely to be victims of interracial violence than pure chance would predict) and that overall white criminals pose the greatest threat to white Americans and black criminals pose the greatest threat to black Americans.
In Hate Crimes, Barbara Perry refers to the book as a classic of the genre of output by white nationalist academic racists.
- William, Tucker (2002). The Funding of Scientific Racism: Wickliffe Draper and the Pioneer Fund. University of Illinois Press. p. 182. ISBN 0-252-02762-0.
- Perry, Barbara . Hate Crimes. Greenwood Publishing Group. p. 112
- Carol Miller Swain (2002). The new white nationalism in America: its challenge to integration. Cambridge University Press. p. 28. ISBN 978-0-521-80886-6. Retrieved 24 May 2011.
- "Extremism in America: Jared Taylor/American Renaissance". Anti-Defamation League. Retrieved 11 August 2011.
- Tiku, Nitasha (1/10/11). "Tucson Shooter’s Grudge Against Giffords: ‘I Planned Ahead’". New York Magazine. Retrieved 11 August 2011. Check date values in:
- American Renaissance News: Jews and American Renaissance
- "Jared Taylor/American Renaissance: Ideology". ADL. January 11, 2011. Retrieved April 30, 2011.
- "Race and Crime Report". C-SPAN Video Library. June 2, 1999. Retrieved April 29, 2011.
- "Glenn Spencer". Southern Poverty Law Center. July 29, 2000. Retrieved April 30, 2011.
- Carol Miller Swain (2002). The new white nationalism in America: its challenge to integration. Cambridge University Press. Retrieved April 29, 2011.
- "Coloring crime, SPLC, Intelligence Report, Issue Number: 99". Southern Poverty Law Center. Summer 2000. Retrieved April 29, 2011.
- Tim Wise (November 19, 2004). "The Color of Deception: Race, Crime and Sloppy Social Science". Tim Wise. Retrieved November 27, 2013.
- Barbara Perry. Hate Crimes. Greenwood Publishing Group. Retrieved April 29, 2011.