||This article may be expanded with text translated from the corresponding article in the German Wikipedia. (April 2012)|
|Launched||6 March 1993|
|Owned by||RTL Group S.A., Heinrich Bauer Verlag KG, Tele München Fernseh GmbH & Co. Medienbeteiligung KG, Burda GmbH|
|Picture format||16:9 576i (SDTV)
|Audience share||4,2% (2013, )|
also distributed in:
|Formerly called||RTL 2 (1993-1999)|
|DVB-T||Various; region dependent|
|Astra 1L (19.2°E)||12187.50 Horizontal 89 (DVB-S)
12226.50 Horizontal 91 (RTL II Austria; DVB-S)
|Astra 1M (19.2°E)||10832.25 Horizontal 57 (RTL II HD; encrypted DVB-S2)|
|Hot Bird 13A (13°E)||11054.00 Horizontal 127 (RTL II Switzerland; DVB-S)|
|Yes (part of basic package)|
|Channel 12 (all packages)|
- 1 History
- 2 Ownership
- 3 Programming
- 4 Programming aired by RTL II
- 5 See also
- 6 External links
- 7 References
|This section requires expansion. (March 2013)|
RTL II started broadcasting on 6 March 1993 at 6:09 a.m. with the movie Ein reizender Fratz.
The channel is operated by RTL2 Fernsehen GmbH & Co. KG., which was founded in 1992 and employs a staff of approximately 210 people. Since June 2014 its Managing Director has been Andreas Bartl. The company was originally headquartered in Cologne, but is now run in the municipality of Grünwald, to the south of Munich; only its news department is still based in Cologne, in order to share the production facilities of RTL news. The company is jointly owned by: RTL Group S.A. (35.9%), Heinrich Bauer Verlag KG (31.5%), Tele München Fernseh GmbH & Co. Medienbeteiligung KG (31.5%, of which the Tele München Gruppe and The Walt Disney Company hold 50% each). and Burda GmbH (1.1%)
Programming pillars are daily episodes of the local Big Brother in access prime-time, and a prime-time lineup consisting mostly of "docu-soaps", movies and licensed series such as 24 and Stargate SG-1. Recent efforts to move further towards quality programming with science magazines and documentaries have met with an indifferent audience response.
The channel's prime-time newscast RTL II News is frequently criticized for its selection of news stories, which are seen to cater to a young audience; for example, it has been known to put a CD release or the launch of a new gaming console in the second headline slot directly after the day's top event.[original research?] This unconventional approach has brought RTL II's broadcasting licence into jeopardy at least once, as a German commercial broadcaster has to feature minimum amounts of serious informational and cultural programming to be allowed a full channel licence. In addition to its own newscast formats (RTL II News, RTL II Spezial. Das Magazin and Das Nachrichtenjournal), the channel commissions independent producers to create its own productions, which it airs in the afternoons.
In the afternoon, the channel now primarily features its own docu soap and reality show productions.
During access prime-time RTL II airs the soaps Köln 50667 and Berlin – Tag & Nacht on weekdays, movies on Saturdays, and science magazines Welt der Wunder and Schau dich schlau! on Sundays.
Among its prime-time line-up the channel's own docu soap productions such as Die Geissens – Eine schrecklich glamouröse Familie and Frauentausch are particularly successful. Various US shows such as Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead have been, and continue to be, the most successful series of RTL II's prime-time slot. Its late-night line-up also features US series such as Autopsy – Mysteriöse Todesfälle and Flashpoint.
Movies also account for a major share of the channel's prime-time and late night content. In addition to the large number of Hollywood movies, RTL II also broadcasts Indian Bollywood movies in this slot since 2004.
Anime and children's programming
RTL II has offered the largest anime content of all free-to-air German-language TV channels. Among others, it has aired shows such as Dinosaur King, Dragon Ball, Naruto, Blue Dragon, Pokémon, Yu-Gi-Oh! and Digimon. In addition, it broadcast cartoons such as Di-Gata Defenders, Pucca and Magi-Nation. On weekdays, RTL II also airs an anime afternoon under their children/youth banner "Pokito". Following tensions with media authorities, RTL II's standards and practices department is believed[by whom?] to be especially sensitive about children's programming. As a consequence, the channel cuts scenes in anime series like Detective Conan, InuYasha, One Piece and Naruto, for which it has received criticism from anime fans. Some episodes where the original version had previously been given a FSK 6 rating, meaning that it is suitable for children ages 6 up and may legally be aired at all hours of the day have even been edited down. In February 2013 RTL II announced that its Sunday morning children's programme would be discontinued as of 21 April 2013. A separate online channel for anime was launched in April.
RTL II was the first channel to introduce various foreign TV formats on German television such as:
- The Final Countdown: a show aired at the start of the new millennium lasting 24 hours and showing celebrations in various locations all over the world. - Popstars in 2000 was the first casting show aired on German television. - Jack Point Jack in 2003 was the first interactive movie on German television. - Bollywood movies: On 19 November 2004 RTL II aired Sometimes happiness, sometimes sadness (German: In guten wie in schweren Tagen - original title: Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham), the first dubbed Bollywood movie on German television, and achieved an audience share of over 12.3% among the target group of 14 to 49 year-olds. Due to its great success Indian movies have been regularly aired on the channel ever since. Previously, Bollywood movies had been broadcast in Hindi with German subtitles on ARTE and VOX.
Programming aired by RTL II
- Water Rats (Water Rats – Die Hafencops)
- Blood Ties
- Flashpoint (Flashpoint – Das Spezialkommando)
- Whistler (starting 2009)
- The Listener (The Listener - Der Gedankenjäger)
From the United Kingdom
From the United States
- 24 (season 1-5)
- The A-Team (Das A-Team)
- According to Jim (Immer wieder Jim)
- Angela's Eyes (Angela Henson – Das Auge des FBI)
- Battlestar Galactica
- Bewitched (Verliebt in eine Hexe)
- The Brady Bunch (Drei Mädchen und drei Jungen)
- Dead Like Me (Dead Like Me – So gut wie tot)
- The Dead Zone (Dead Zone)
- Dog the Bounty Hunter (Dog – Der Kopfgeldjäger)
- Dream On
- The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air (Der Prinz von Bel-Air)
- Hercules: The Legendary Journeys (Hercules)
- Home Improvement (Hör mal, wer da hämmert!)
- I Dream of Jeannie (Bezaubernde Jeannie)
- I Love Lucy (Ich liebe Lucy)
- Laverne & Shirley
- Law & Order: Special Victims Unit (Law & Order: New York)
- Little House on the Prairie (Unsere kleine Farm)
- Matlock (Matlock [Fernsehserie])
- Sleeper Cell
- Stargate SG-1 (Stargate – Kommando SG-1)
- Stargate Atlantis
- Stargate Universe
- True Blood
- Xena: Warrior Princess (Xena)
German Reality Shows
- Attack No. 1 (Mila Superstar)
- Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon (Sailormoon – Das Mädchen mit den Zauberkräften)
- Captain Tsubasa (Die tollen Fußballstars)
- Detective Conan (Detektiv Conan)
- Cat's Eye (Ein Supertrio)
- Chibi Maruko-chan
- Crayon Shin-chan (Shin Chan)
- Dr. Slump (2nd series)
- Dragon Ball
- Dragon Ball Z
- Dragon Ball GT
- Flint the Time Detective (Flint Hammerhead)
- Ganbare, Kickers! (Kickers)
- Hikari no Densetsu (Die kleinen Superstars)
- Inazuma Eleven
- Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne (Jeanne, die Kamikaze-Diebin)
- Little Women (1987 TV series) (Eine fröhliche Familie)
- Little Women II: Jo's Boys (Missis Jo und ihre fröhliche Familie)
- MegaMan NT Warrior
- Monster Rancher
- Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water (Die Macht des Zaubersteins)
- Naruto Shippuden
- Ojamajo Doremi
- One Piece
- Adventures on the Orange Islands
- The Johto Journeys
- Johto League Champions
- Master Quest
- Advanced Challenge
- Advanced Battle
- Battle Frontier
- Diamond and Pearl
- DP: Battle Dimension
- DP: Galactic Battles
- DP: Sinnoh League Victors (DP: Sieger der Sinnoh-Liga)
- Black & White (Schwarz & Weiß)
- BW: Rival Destinies (Schwarz & Weiß: Rivalen des Schicksals)
- Power Stone
- Princess Sarah (Die kleine Prinzessin Sara)
- Futari wa Pretty Cure (Pretty Cure)
- Ranma ½
- Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs
- Shaman King
- Taro the Space Alien (Taro Alien)
- The Adventures of Mini-Goddess
- The Girl in the Wind: Jeanie with the Light Brown Hair (Jeannie)
- The Rose of Versailles
- The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (1986 TV series) (Im Land des Zauberers von Oz)
- Wedding Peach
- Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's
- Yu-Gi-Oh! GX
- Yu-Gi-Oh! Capsule Monsters
Other Animated Series
- Action Man
- Alice's Birthday (Geburtstag Alice)
- Care Bears
- Casper the Friendly Ghost (Casper)
- The Chipmunks (Alvin und die Chipmunks)
- Duck Dodgers
- Get Ed
- He-Man and the Masters of the Universe
- Jackie Chan Adventures
- The Mézga Family (Die Abenteuer der Familie Metzger)
- Mystery of the Third Planet (Die Adventure Alisa)
- Mucha Lucha
- The Super Mario Bros. Super Show!
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles[disambiguation needed]
- Winx Club
- Xiaolin Showdown
- Official Site (German)
- "Kabelfernsehen: Übersicht aller TV-Sender - Kabel Deutschland" [Cabel Television: overview of all TV stations - Kabel Deutschland] (in German). Kabel Deutschland. Retrieved 6 April 2012.
- "RTL 2 - Empfangbarkeit". Rtl2.de. Retrieved 2013-03-15.
- "A1 TV Senderliste" [A1 TV channel list] (PDF) (in German). A1. Retrieved 6 April 2012.
- "Digitale TV-Sender" [Digital TV channels] (PDF) (in German). UPC Cablecom. Retrieved 6 April 2012.
- "Operations - Television -Germany - RTL II". RTL Group. 2009-10-19. Retrieved 2013-03-15.
- "Bauer Media Group: Beteiligungen". Bauermedia.com. Retrieved 2013-03-15.
- "RTL II verzichtet komplett auf Sitcoms –". Quotenmeter.de. 2012-05-26. Retrieved 2013-03-15.
- "Gute Quoten für RTL-II-Fantasy-Serie "Game of Thrones" in drei Blöcken - SPIEGEL ONLINE". Spiegel.de. Retrieved 2013-03-15.
- ""The Walking Dead": Erneut voller Erfolg für RTL II". DWDL.de. Retrieved 2013-03-15.
- "Animedigital-Conan Cuts". Animedigital.de. Retrieved 2013-03-15.
- "Animedigital-Inuyasha Cuts". Animedigital.de. Retrieved 2013-03-15.
- "Animedigital-One Piece Cuts". Op-cuts.animedigital.de. Retrieved 2013-03-15.
- "Animedigital-Naruto Cuts". Animedigital.de. Retrieved 2013-03-15.
- Schnittberichte.com-Naruto[dead link]
- "RTL II verlagert seine Animes komplett ins Internet". DWDL.de. 2013-02-26. Retrieved 2013-03-15.
- ""Bollywood ist für uns ein Imageprodukt": RTL II mag es indisch". DWDL.de. Retrieved 2013-03-15.
- "RTL II kauft britische Serie "Torchwood"". quotenmeter.de. Retrieved 2008-07-14.