|• M.L.A||Hardial Singh Kamboj(MLA)|
|• Total||76.08 km2 (29.375 sq mi)|
|Elevation||259 m (850 ft)|
|• Total||1,12,193 |
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Vehicle registration||PB 39,PB 11|
|Sex ratio||1000:900 ♂/♀|
Rajpura is located at  It has an average elevation of 259 metres (849 feet). Rajpura is situated nearly 38 km south east of Chandigarh, the capital city of Punjab. Besides being an important industrial town of Punjab, it also has historical importance..
The geographic location of Rajpura is ideal, as two National Highways cross through it viz. NH-1 & NH-64. Rajpura is surrounded by a number of major cities like Chandigarh (38 km North), Patiala (20 km South), Ambala (22 km East) and Ludhiana (80 km West). Rajpura acts as middle point between Amritsar and Delhi on NH-1 as both these cities are 225 km away from Rajpura in opposite directions.
Rajpura is an industrial town. There are number of large-scale industries like HUL (Formerly known as HLL), Bunge India P Ltd, Siel Chemicals Limited, Surya Air Products Private Limited, Amber Enterpsises Limited, Sahni Chemicals and there are large number of small scale industries .In small scale industries, Rajpura is a hub of Door Closer,Rice Sheller,Biomass Briquette Machinery, Soap Factories, House Hold Manufacturers, Biscuit machines industry and steel works. L&T is constructing 1400 MW (2x700 MW) Rajpura Thermal Power Plant near Village Nalash under power purchase agreement. The first unit, according to the power purchase agreement signed in January 2010, will be commissioned by January 2014 followed by the second in May that year. Also there are plans to further add 700 mW power capacity to the Rajpura Power Plant in Punjab making it 2100 mW project. This project marks the L&T's entry into the power generation segment as a developer.
In the year 2005, a diamond jewellery manufacturing unit was started and is engaged in the manufacturing and supply of diamond studed gold jewellery and also kundan, polky and Mina, etc. under the name and style Pancham Jewellers Pvt Ltd – the only of its kind unit in this area.
Mainly the small scale industries are located in the focal point. All industrial units are bounded in a chain of association named "Rajpura Small Scale Industries Association".
The grain market of Rajpura is the second largest grain market of Asia following grain market of Khanna, it acquires near about 150 acres of area and comprises more than 290 shops.
The municipal council of Rajpura is the Richest municipal council of Punjab.
Warehousing and logistics hub
Rajpura is basically famous for its genuine quality furniture since 1976 People from nearby areas like patiala, Chandigarh, himachal areas come here for the best quality furniture Furniture is also exported to different countries from Rajpura Due to its proximity to Chandigarh, Patiala, Zirakpur and Ambala as well as its well connected rail and road links, Rajpura is gradually emerging as warehousing and logistics hub of Punjab. Many companies and MNCs like Tata Teleservices, Bharti Walmart, ITC, Airtel, Aircel, HUL, Castrol, Nokia-Siemens have their dedicated warehouses in Rajpura. With the introduction of GST next year, Rajpura is poised to exploit the potential in logistics and warehousing with its upcoming state of the art distribution centers and warehouses.
Some of the main transport companies in Rajpura
- Anand Transport Company
- Royal Fleet Carriers
- Chadha Motor Transport
- Patiala Cargo Carrier
- Gurm Transport Company
- Hans Transport
- New Darbar Transport
- Chaudhary Freight Carrier
- Azad Tanker Company (Banur)
Rajpura is basically famous for its high quality rice shelling industry. Some of the famous rice shellers in Rajpura are as follows:
- Chawla Traders
In the 2011 India census, Rajpura had a population of 96,659, but after including some villages like dhamoli kalan, islampur, neelpur, and pilkhani, within its municipal limits the population rose to 112,193. Males constitute 53% of the population and females 47%. Rajpura has an average literacy rate of 81%: male literacy is 83%, and female literacy is 79%. In Rajpura, 13% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Rajpura is situated on the National Highway No. 1 which has been stretched from Kolkata to Amritsar. Rajpura can be regarded as 'Gateway of Punjab' as all road and rail transport needs to touch Rajpura for the routes going to other major cities of Punjab as well as Jammu & Kashmir. Rajpura is the first Railway Junction in Punjab. The rail lines are diverted from here to 2 major lines catering to Punjab. One is to Amritsar and J&K; and the other towards Bathinda and Rajasthan. This is one reason that Rajpura has become one of the largest timber markets in Punjab.
The name of Rajpura appears in the history as Emperor Sher Shah Suri "The Lion King", and founder of the Suri Dynasty built a "Sarai" (Inn) in Rajpura for travellers and for his army when ever he passed through Rajpura. This Sarai was built during the Suri Dynasty, between 1540 and 1545. The more than 450-years-old Sarai is almost in shambles now but still stands bold. This Sarai today houses the offices of SDM, Tehsildar and DSP of police. The Sarai needs urgent attention of ASI (Archeological Survey of India) so that this historical monument of Rajpura can be preserved as a mark in the history.
Rajpura as a tehsil includes 295 villages under its municipal limts and is biggest tehsil in Punjab. Rajpura has north India's only orphanage center "SOS". In Rajpura Co Curical Activities, Lok Sahitya Sangam Rajpura ( Writers Association)
Rajpura can be divided into three parts. One is Rajpura Township, the second is Old Rajpura and third is Focal Point. The Township was developed post independence to re-habilitate the people who migrated from Pakistani province of Bhawalpur. Majority of the people residing in Rajpura Township are Bhawalpuris. These people worked very hard and made their mark in Rajpura town. Most of the business in township area is controlled by them.
Now Rajpura has also become a major educational hub of the North. Chitkara, Swami Vivekanand, Gyan Sagar etc. are the Institutes where students from various places, some even from South India and from other countries, come here to study. Not only has Rajpura has emerged in higher education but parents from others areas are also sending their children to study in schools here due to the presence of some prestigious schools such as Mukat, Patel, Holy Angels, ICL, and Scholars Home. Rajpura is close to the proposed International Airport.
Rajpura offers quality of education in CBSE,ICSE and PSEB (local board) affiliation and various schools are:
- Patel Public School – A premier education institute in Rajpura run by Patel Committee and affiliated to CBSE.
- Mukat Public School
- Holy Angels School(affiliated to the ICSE Board and managed by Holy Angels, a registered Catholic lay organization.)
- Janta Sr.Sec.School Near(Bhatta Lachman Dass Colony) Rajpura
- Govt Co.Ed Senior Secondary School (N.T.C), RAJPURA.
- ICL Public School(jasper school)
- Aadharshila public school
- CM Public School. (CBSE)
- Bhai Sahib Bhai Daya Singh Memorial Public School, Rajpura.
- DAV Public School
- DBVM School (Biscuit Factory)
- CM Model High School
- K K(Krishan Kumar) High School
- SD Public School, Said Kheri
- Rishi Model School
- Scholars Public School
- White Bird Public School
- Public Modern Senior Secondary School
- Govt. School for Girls, Rajpura Town
- Govt. School for Girls, Kalka Road
- Kidzee Playway School for Children
- Holy Heart Public School
- Gurukul Public School
- Saraswati Vidya Kender, Mandoli
- Bachpan School
Rajpura offers quality education in professional courses such as Bachelors in Physiotherapy (B.P.T.) B.tech, M.tech, MBA, MCA, B.com, M.com, B.pharma, D.pharma, PGDM, PGDCA, BDS, MBBS, ENT, MD and BCA . Some of the important institutes of Rajpura are:
- Aryans Group of Colleges.
- Gian Sagar College of Physiotherapy
- PMN College
- Chitkara University
- Swami Vivekanand Institute of Engg. & Tech.
- [Gyan Jyoti Institute of Engg. & Tech.]
- Gurukul Vidyapeeth Institute of Engg. & Tech.
- Gyan Sagar Medical College & Hospital.
- Swift institute of Nursing and Pharmacy.
- Dr. IT Institute of Management.
- Surya Group of Institutes of Engg. & Tech.
- Regional Telecom Training Centre of BSNL.
- Kasturba College for Girls.
- ITI for Boys.
- ITI for Girls.
- DPS Rajpura
- Upcoming Government based, Punjab Institute of Technology for Girls at Work Center Colony.
- Swift institute of engineering and management
- Intelli Institute of Education
Rajpura has the following average temperature and precipitation
|Climate data for Rajpura|
|Average high °C (°F)||19
|Average low °C (°F)||2
|Precipitation mm (inches)||20.3
- "Population Details". The Registrar General & Census Commissioner, India, New Delhi, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. Retrieved 21 November 2013.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Rajpura
- "Chawla Traders JustDial page".
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- "Average Weather for Rajpura - Temperature and Precipitation". The Weather Channel. Retrieved February 25, 2008.