|Chandigarh International Airport
Chandigarh Air Force Base
चंडीगढ़ अंतरराष्ट्रीय हवाई अड्डा
चंडीगढ़ एयर फोर्स बेस
|Operator||Indian Air Force/Airports Authority of India|
|Elevation AMSL||1,012 ft / 308 m|
Chandigarh International Airport (IATA: IXC, ICAO: VICG) is a customs airport in Chandigarh, India. It is located about 9 kilometres south of the city centre and operates as a civil enclave at the Chandigarh Air force Station of the Indian Air Force. It is listed as one of the major airports in North India. Work is about to be completed for an International terminal. A total of 26 domestic flights connect Chandigarh to different destinations in India.
A new International Terminal is being built at Mohali. Work on the international terminal is about to be completed by End of May 2015, the domestic terminal will be then used as a flying club only, construction of three link taxiways, parallel taxi track, cargo complex and hangars of flying club activities and runway upgradation is about to be completed. The terminal will have 5 aero-bridges, construction of apron for parking three in contact and ten remote parking stands for aircraft.The departures will be on the first floor and arrivals on the ground floor. The first phase terminal covering 53,000 sq metre will have a capacity of 1,600 passengers at a time and a parking space for 500 vehicles. .The project has Punjab, Airport Authority of India and Haryana as partners.The project is to be completed by June 2015.The main purpose of the International airport is to reduce pressure on Indira Gandhi International Airport. The International terminal is located on 306 acres (1.24 km2) land in Jheorheri village, near Mohali. The Greater Mohali Area Development Authority is spending Rs 1,700 crore to connect this airport with Punjab. Defense Ministry has already given clearance to the International Flight operations during night hours from the Airport.
As of July 2014, official update mentioned that 90% of the upgrade construction work had been done on the International Airport and the remaining was expected to be completed by the deadline of February 2015. However, after the February deadline neared the deadline was moed to December 2015, with international norm for long distance flights being completed by December 2017.  
Originally, it was proposed to name the airport as Mohali International Airport due to its proximity to the town of Mohali in Punjab. However, in 2008, Haryana demanded a stake in the airport, thus resulting in Punjab and Harayana reaching an agreement to name it Chandigarh International Airport. This airport would not be greenfield but the present Indian air force base would be used.
The project includes building an international terminal near the existing Chandigarh Indian Air Force base and further expansion of the domestic terminal. Also, the existing runway will be expanded to handle large passenger aircraft. 306 acres (1.24 km2) of land has been acquired by GMADA and the construction work was slated to begin by August 2009.It is expected that work would end soon and International flights would soon begin to operate from Chandigarh to other parts of the world, Construction began in January 2010.
The runway is planned to be extended from 9000 feet to 10,400 feet.
Airlines and destinations
|Air India||Delhi, Mumbai|
|GoAir||Bhubaneswar, Mumbai, Bangalore|
|IndiGo||Bangalore, Chennai, Hyderabad, Mumbai, Srinagar, Ahmedabad|
|Jet Airways||Bengaluru, Chennai, Delhi, Mumbai|
- "TRAFFIC STATISTICS - DOMESTIC & INTERNATIONAL PASSENGERS" (JSP). Aai.aero. Retrieved 31 December 2014.
- "TRAFFIC STATISTICS - DOMESTIC & INTERNATIONAL PASSENGERS" (HTML). Aai.aero. Retrieved 31 December 2014.
- Chandigarh international airport website
- Garewal, Naveen (2008-01-04). "Haryana forces stake in Mohali airport". Chandigarh: The Tribune. Retrieved 21 April 2012.
- Mera Chandigarh http://merachandigarh.in/mohali-news/gmada-chandigarh-international-airport-roads.html
- "International flights allowed from Chandigarh Airport". news.biharprabha.com. IANS. 25 July 2014. Retrieved 27 July 2014.
- Chandigarh international airport update
- "No dispute over naming of Chandigarh airport: Haryana CM Hooda". Chandigarh: News Reporter. 2011-05-26. Retrieved 21 April 2012.
- Punjab, Haryana bicker over airport name - India - DNA
- "Punjab, Haryana slug it out over name of airport". The Hindu (Chennai, India). 14 January 2008.
- 2 years on, work begins on Chandigarh International Airport in Mohali - Indian Express
- Airport naming dispute
- Chandigarh Airport at AAI
- Chandigarh Airbase at Global Security
- Airport information for VICG at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.