|Former type||Public company|
|Traded as||Formerly TSX: SCR|
|Fate||Acquired by Rogers Communications; some assets spun off as theScore Inc.|
|Defunct||April 30, 2013|
|Headquarters||Toronto, Ontario, Canada|
|Key people||John S. Levy, Founder|
|Revenue||$7.73 million CAD|
Score Media Inc. was a Canadian media company. Its main asset was The Score, a national specialty television service providing sports news, information, highlights, live events, and other sports-related entertainment programming. The company also owns closed captioning service Voice to Visual Inc., and mixed martial arts promotion The Score Fighting Series.
Prior to October 19, 2012, the company also owned a 20% stake in mobile and web development firm NuLayer, and various interactive properties including ScoreMobile, ScoreMobile FC, SportsTap and TheScore.ca. These properties are now owned by theScore Inc.. The company also previously owned and operated The Score Satellite Radio; a satellite radio network available across North America on Sirius Satellite Radio. The station shut down on September 1, 2011.
The company was previously named Headline Media Group Inc. and in February 2005 changed its name to Score Media Inc.
Sale to Rogers
On August 24, 2012, reports surfaced that Rogers Communications was planning to acquire Score Media for close to $160 million. The next day, those reports became reality when Rogers Media announced that it will acquire Score Media in a transaction valued at $167 million.
The acquisition itself closed on October 19, 2012, at which point Score Media's digital assets were spun off into another company, theScore Inc., in which Rogers Media will retain a 10% interest. Score Media's TV properties were immediately placed into a blind trust, under trustee Peter Viner, pending final CRTC approval, which came on April 30, 2013.
- Score Media acquires stake in NuLayer, The Globe and Mail, 16 September 2010
- Score Media Acquires Rival Mobile App SportsTap™ Canadian Business 2011-05-12
- The Score Satellite Radio Is Going Off The Air TVNewser 2011-08-02
- Ladurantaye, Steve. "Rogers Communications to acquire Score Media". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved 24 August 2012.
- Score Media (2012-10-19). "Score Media Inc. completes plan of arrangement". Retrieved 2012-10-19.
- Rogers Media (2012-10-19). "Rogers Media Completes Acquisition of Score Media". Retrieved 2012-10-19.
|This article about a Canadian corporation or company is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|