Shuddh Desi Romance
|Shuddh Desi Romance|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Maneesh Sharma|
|Produced by||Aditya Chopra|
|Written by||Jaideep Sahni|
|Starring||Sushant Singh Rajput
|Music by||Sachin - Jigar|
|Editing by||Namrata Rao|
|Studio||Yash Raj Films|
|Running time||140 minutes|
|Language||Hindi and Urdu|
|Budget||250 million (US$4.2 million)|
|Box office||550 million (US$9.2 million)
Shuddh Desi Romance, released internationally as A Pure Desi Romance, is a 2013 Bollywood romantic comedy film directed by Maneesh Sharma and produced by Aditya Chopra. The film features Sushant Singh Rajput, Parineeti Chopra and newcomer Vaani Kapoor in leading roles. The film set in Jaipur, Rajasthan, explores the views of young generation on commitment, live-in relationships and arranged marriages as compared to love marriages in small town India. It screened in the Gala Presentation section of the 2013 Toronto International Film Festival. Upon release, the film received generally positive response from critics and audiences and was declared a hit in India by Box Office India.
Raghu Ram (Sushant Singh Rajput) is a tourist guide in Jaipur who doubles up as a rental baraati for Goyal (Rishi Kapoor), a wedding planner. Raghu is experiencing pre-marital jitters. On the way to his wedding venue, Raghu meets Gayatri (Parineeti Chopra), an open minded, free willed, independent woman who lives life on her own terms. An already confused Raghu, heavily impressed by her freedom, gathers the guts to run away from his own wedding.
A fortnight later, the two meet and begin dating. They enter into a live-in relationship. Mr. Gupta (Tarun Vyas) is a typical Desi neighbor of Gayatri, who catches Raghu with Gayatri and later creates some confusion in Raghu's mind, but the two decide to get married. On the day of the wedding, Gayatri runs out on him, and Raghu is left inconsolably confused.
Soon after, at a wedding, Raghu meets Tara (Vaani Kapoor), the woman he was going to tie the knot with, before he met Gayatri. She asks him out initially on a revenge trip but slowly their relationship turns serious. Just as Raghu is about to ask her to marry him at a wedding, he runs into Gayatri. The bride's mom sends Raghu and Gayatri to finish a task. On the way Gayatri tries to talk to Raghu but he is reluctant. When they return at dinner, Raghu finds Tara and Gayatri sitting on the same table. Tara tells him that she invited Gayatri to dinner on Sunday. Raghu gingerly makes an excuse for the bathroom. Gayatri follows him and they both confess their love for each other. While they are hugging Tara arrives and catches them in the act. Tara leaves while Raghu and Gayatri are compelled by Goyal to accept that they love each other and that they should marry. Again on the night of marriage Gayatri and Raghu run into each other at the main gate while both are running from getting married. Lastly both find each other at Gayatri's home where Raghu says that he truly loves Gayatri but he does not want to be imprisoned by getting married. They both kiss and enter the home.
- Sushant Singh Rajput as Raghu
- Parineeti Chopra as Gayatri
- Vaani Kapoor as Tara
- Rishi Kapoor as Goyal
- Tarun Vyas as Mr.Gupta-Gayatri's neighbour
- Rajesh Sharma as Mausa ji
- Kunal Kumar
- Anirban Narayan Chandra Chowdhury as Prabir Chatterjee
The script of the film was written by Jaideep Sahni, who has previously written such films as Company (2002), Bunty Aur Babli (2005), Khosla Ka Ghosla (2006) and Chak De! India (2007). The setting of the film, Jaipur, was used to provide a contrast from the lifestyle of big cities, and also to depict how a traditional way of life complete with its hypocrisies co-exists in these smaller cities along with modern influences.
While the majority of the film was shot in and around Jaipur, Rajasthan, the title song of film was shot at Mehrangarh Fort, and the palaces and bylanes in Jodhpur, Rajasthan with the lead actors, and choreographed by Ganesh Acharya.
|Shuddh Desi Romance|
|Soundtrack album by Sachin - Jigar|
|Genre||Rajasthani folk, bossa, techno|
|Sachin - Jigar chronology|
The soundtrack was produced by the composer duo Sachin - Jigar. It contains 4 vocal songs and the remaining tracks are instrumental. The tracks have a huge Rajasthani folk influence mixed with bossa and techno. The lyrics were written by Jaideep Sahni.
|1.||"Tere Mere Beech Mein"||Sunidhi Chauhan & Mohit Chauhan||4:12|
|2.||"Gulabi"||Jigar Saraiya & Priya Saraiya||3:51|
|3.||"Chanchal Mann Ati Random"||Divya Kumar||3:55|
|4.||"Shuddh Desi Romance"||Benny Dayal & Shalmali Kholgade||3:06|
|5.||"Mujhe Kiss Kar Sakte Ho"||Instrumental||2:21|
|6.||"Love in Jaipur"||Instrumental||2:04|
|7.||"Tez Waala Attraction"||Instrumental||1:31|
|9.||"Bhanwara Ma Bhatke"||Instrumental||1:16|
The film was released on 6 September 2013. It was mainly a multiplex release on approximately 1100 screens. A teaser trailer of Dhoom 3 was attached to prints of Shuddh Desi Romance. It has an investment of 250 million (US$4.2 million) including marketing and release costs.
Yash Raj Films launched the poster with the digital poster on 17 June 2013. Sushant Singh Rajput introduced Yash Raj Films Shuddh Desi debutante Vaani Kapoor at a song launch event on 1 August where they also unveiled their song, "Gulabi". The title track, "Shuddh Desi Romance" was released on 18 August 2013.
The star cast — Sushant Singh Rajput, Parineeti Chopra and Vaani — promoted the film on 31 August 2013 in an appearance on the show Comedy Nights with Kapil. Sushant, Parineeti and Vaani promoted the film on the show DID Super Moms. The stars promoted it on Jhalak Dikhla Jaa where Sushant wooed Madhuri Dixit. Parineeti and Vaani with director Maneesh Sharma and writer Jaideep Sahni discussed the film at great length with the Indian Express team at the Screen Preview.
The movie received generally positive reviews.
Taran Adarsh of Bollywood Hungama gave the film 3.5 stars out of 5 and stated that the film caters to and reflects the mindset of a lot of youth in modern society. Rajeev Masand of CNN-IBN gave the film 3.5 out of 5 and commented that "To a large extent, Shuddh Desi Romance reinvents the wheel as far as Bollywood rom-coms go. It's aggressively non-formulaic, and gives us characters who refuse to conform. The minor hiccups notwithstanding, this is a charming little film." Tushar Joshi of DNA gave it 3 stars and felt that Shuddh Desi Romance is refreshing, breezy and engaging. India Today gave it 3.5 stars. Mohar Basu of Koimoi gave it 3.5 stars and remarked that the film is a heartfelt true take of real contemporary relationships. Sukanya Verma of Rediff gave it 3.5 stars and judged that Shuddh Desi Romance has no dull moments.
Khalid Mohammad of the Deccan Chronicle gave it 3 stars and wrote, "don't miss it for Ms Chopra and for the feisty first half. Post-break, you can catch 40, even 400 winks in your seat." Reshma Sengar of Zee News gave it 2.5 stars and summarised, "Although not as good as Band Baaja Baarat and Ladies Vs Ricky Bahl, Maneesh Sharma's third directorial venture is "jhataak", peppy and colourful but still turns out only to be a onetime watch!" Anupama Chopra gave the film 4 stars and said Shuddh Desi Romance is "a dose of adrenalin, though it loses steam in the second half – it's almost as if, suddenly, Manish and Jaideep didn't know where to take their story and characters." The Times of India gave it 3 stars and stated that "the concept is engaging, but the plot is little shudd, little desi and quite confused". Rachit Gupta of Filmfare gave it 3 stars and said that the film is a crazy, witty and a soulful twist on getting hitched.
Avad M of Bollywood3 rated the movie 3.25 out of 5 and opined, "Maneesh Sharma's script is such wonderful that it holds you on to the screens. The concepts of living in and marriage have been dealt in a very contemporary way." He also added that Sushanth Singh is a "revelation. His performance is priceless as he plays the role of a confused lover with utmost ease. With Shuddh Desi Romance Bollywood surely has yet another heartthrob in Sushanth." Ankit Ojha of Planet Bollywood gave the film 7 stars out of 10, calling it "a smart relationship dramedy focussing well on the issues of the current generation, whilst boldly questioning the staunch principles of commitment society forces people to abide by." Sujesh.G from Has2Bfilmy.com said Shuddh Desi Romance is a "pleasant watch with your loved ones as it stays true to its title".
Aditya Grover of YouthTimes gave it 3/5 stars and said "Shuddh Desi Romance is good, but sadly not great. Nevertheless, it's nothing like what you've already seen before, and totally deserves a watch!"
Dawn's film critic Mohammad Kamran Jawaid said that "Shuddh Desi Romance has an innovative twist on the love triangle, spiffy songs, a mix of adequate to engaging performances (Mr. Rajput is adequate, Ms. Chopra is engaging, Ms. Kapoor is somewhere in between) and just about apt technical intelligence that doesn’t overpower the story Mr. Sharma has in mind. So at the very least, it has a few aces up its sleeve." Jawaid however had a problem with the film's lack of morality in context of South Asian family values, writing "Young love, I can understand (and endorse) easy. Debasement of relationships to avoid public disgrace, amongst other puerilities, is a drastic measure for yours truly. The first world may disagree, but here in South Asia, it’s the orthodox bond of family that count, not the drastic need to escape its ideals."
The film grossed 295 million (US$4.9 million) nett across its first five days at the domestic box office.[dead link] The film collected around Rs 362.7 million nett in week one. Shuddh Desi Romance collected around 12.5 million nett on its 8th day Shuddh Desi Romance dropped in its second weekend collecting nearly 60 million nett. The ten-day total is Rs 420 million nett plus. Shuddh Desi Romance had Rs 85.8 million nett second week taking its two-week total to around Rs 450 million nett. Shudh Desi Romance nett. grossed Rs 10 million in third week taking its total to 463 million (US$7.7 million) nett.
Shudh Desi Romance grossed $1.08 million (Rs 7.04 cr) in its first weekend overseas. Shuddh Desi Romance did well in overseas as it has collected $1.7 million in ten days. The film crossed US$ 2 million in overseas in three weeks' runs.
- "Shuddh Desi Romance (Cut version) (12A)". British Board of Film Classification. Retrieved 10 September 2013.
- "Zanjeer loses out to Shuddh Desi Romance on the opening day". Retrieved 9 September 2013.
- "Toronto film festival 2013: the full line-up". The Guardian. Retrieved 24 July 2013.
- "Bollywood screenwriters are finally getting their due". Deccan Chronicle. 8 Sep 2013. Retrieved 9 September 2013.
- "Parineeti Chopra and Sushant Singh Rajput shoot a new song for Shuddh Desi Romance". Bollywoodlife.com. 11 August 2013. Retrieved 9 September 2013.
- "Shuddh Desi Romance title track making". Bollywoodlife.com. 3 September 2013. Retrieved 9 September 2013.
- "Boxofficeindia.com". Boxofficeindia.com. Retrieved 9 September 2013.
- "Dhoom 3 meets Shuddh Desi Romance - The Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 5 September 2013.
- "The Chopra weekend is here: Zanjeer or Shuddh Desi Romance? : Bollywood, News - India Today". Indiatoday.intoday.in. 4 September 2013. Retrieved 9 September 2013.
- "Trailer launch video of Shuddh Desi Romance" on YouTube
- "Shuddh Desi Romance First Look | Feat. Parineeti Chopra, Sushant Singh Rajput", Yash Raj Films, 17 June 2013
- "Yash Raj Films". Yash Raj Films. 1 August 2013. Retrieved 9 September 2013.
- "Shuddh Desi Romance title song: Sushant Singh Rajput and Parineeti Chopra’s colourful chemistry is engaging!"
- "PHOTOS: Exclusive: Parineeti, Vaani's Shuddh Desi Romance @ Screen Big Picture Photo Gallery, Picture News Gallery". The Indian Express. 3 September 2013. Retrieved 9 September 2013.
- "Shuddh Desi Romance (2013) | Hindi Movie Critic Review By Taran Adarsh". Bollywood Hungama. 28 June 2012. Retrieved 9 September 2013.
- "Love actually | Rajeev Masand – movies that matter : from bollywood, hollywood and everywhere else". Rajeevmasand.com. Retrieved 9 September 2013.
- "Film Review: Shuddh Desi Romance is refreshing, breezy and engaging - Entertainment - DNA". Dnaindia.com. 8 April 2013. Retrieved 9 September 2013.
- "Movie review: Shuddh Desi Romance : Reviews, News - India Today". Indiatoday.intoday.in. Retrieved 9 September 2013.
- "Shuddh Desi Romance Movie Review | Sushant Singh Rajput, Parineeti Chopra". Koimoi.com. 29 September 2008. Retrieved 9 September 2013.
- "Review: Shuddh Desi Romance has NO dull moments - Rediff.com Movies". Rediff.com. Retrieved 9 September 2013.
- "Shuddh Desi Romance is an honest love story with a desi touch, say critics". Hindustan Times. 9 June 2013. Retrieved 9 September 2013.
- "'Shuddh Desi Romance' review: Back on the marry-go-round". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 9 September 2013.
- "‘Shuddh Desi Romance’ review: Soulful, witty but wanes in the end!". Zeenews.india.com. 9 July 2013. Retrieved 9 September 2013.
- "Anupama Chopra's review: Shuddh Desi Romance". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 9 September 2013.
- "Shuddh Desi Romance movie review: Wallpaper, Story, Trailer at Times of India". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 1 January 1970. Retrieved 9 September 2013.
- "Movie Review: Shuddh Desi Romance". Filmfare.com. Retrieved 9 September 2013.
- "Shuddh Desi Romance Review". Bollywood3. 5 Sep 2013. Retrieved 6 Sep 2013.
- Shuddh Desi Romance - movie review by Ankit Ojha. Accessed 6 September 2013.
- "Movie Review: Shuddh Desi Romance | Parineeti Chopra, Sushant Singh Rajput, Vaani Kapoor | YouthTimes". Youthtimes.in. Retrieved 9 September 2013.
- Movie review at Dawn.com, retrieved 13 September 2013
- "59th Idea Filmfare Awards & Nominations". Filmfare. 13 Jan 2014. Retrieved 5 February 2014.
- "Shuddh Desi Romance Decent Weekend Chennai Express At $17.25 Million". Box Office India. 11 September 2013. Retrieved 11 September 2013.
- Official website
- Shuddh Desi Romance at the Internet Movie Database
- Shuddh Desi Romance at Bollywood Hungama