St. Mary's College Kisubi
|St. Mary's College Kisubi|
|Kisubi, Wakiso District, Uganda|
|Type||Public Middle School and High School (8-13)|
|Motto||"Duc In Altum
(Launch In The Deep)
|Number of students||1,000|
|Athletics||soccer, rugby, track, tennis, volleyball, basketball and golf|
The school is situated on a campus at Kisubi, approximately 27 kilometres (17 mi), by road, south of Kampala, Uganda's capital and largest city. This location is approximately 16 kilometres (9.9 mi), by road, north of Entebbe International Airport, the main civilian and military airport in Uganda.
The school was established in 1906 by the Brothers of Christian Instruction, affiliated with the Roman Catholic Church. At the beginning of 1899, the Catholic Chiefs in the Buganda Kingdom, under the leadership of Chief Stanislas Mugwanya raised the question of higher education for Catholic youths in the Kingdom. Their request was laid for consideration by the August Assembly of the White Fathers' General Chapter at Algiers in 1900. Out of those efforts, SMACK was founded.
St. Mary's College Kisubi is among the most prestigious schools in Uganda, owing to its excellent academic performance. The school offers education that encourages independent thinking and development.
- Subjects offered at "O" Level include
- Advanced Mathematics
- Christian Religious Education
- Computer Studies
- Fine Art
- Political Education
- Technical Drawing
- Subject offered at "A" Level include
- Fine Art
- Technical Drawing
- Food and Nutrition Science
- General Paper
- Information and Communication Technology
Houses of residence
SMACK has four (4) residential houses, namely:
- Mugwanya House
- Kiwanuka House
- Kakooza House
- Lourdel House
Notable alumni of St. Mary's College Kisubi include the following:
- Mr. Edward Ssekandi-Vice President of Uganda (2011-todate)
- Professor Gilbert Bukenya Balibaseka - Vice President of Uganda, 2003–2011
- Chales Peter Mayiga- Prime Minister of Buganda Kingdom (May 2013-todate)
- Engineer J.B. Walusimbi- Former Prime Minister of Buganda Kingdom
- Fred Kitaka Muteebi- founder of Quality Chemicals,the only company in Sub-Saharan Africa that manufactures triple-combination anti-retroviral (ARV) drugs.
- Engineer Hilary Onek - Ugandan Minister of Energy and Minerals, 2009–2011
- Brigadier General Muhoozi Kainerugaba - Commander of Uganda's Special Forces Command and son of the president of the Republic of Uganda.
- JC. Kiwanuka-Uganda's first Graduate teacher, Minister of Education(1961-1962)
- Lieutenant General Kale Kayihura - Inspector General of Police of the Uganda Police Force, 2005–Present
- Professor Paul D'Arbela - Physician, academic and medical researcher. Currently he is a Professor of Medicine & Dean of Postgraduate Studies at the Uganda Martyrs University Postgraduate School of Medicine, based at St. Francis Hospital Nsambya in Nsambya, Kampala.
- William Blick-Former Chairman of Uganda Rugby Union
- Professor Charles Olweny - Oncologist, academic and medical researcher. Currently he is the Vice Chancellor of Uganda Martyrs University, in Nkozi, Mpigi District.
- Okello Oculi - Ugandan novelist, poet, and chronicler of rural African village life. Currently, he is a private political and social consultant based in Abuja, Nigeria. Before that, he served as Professor of Social & Economic Research at Ahmadu Bello University in Zaria, Nigeria.
- Dr. Michael B. Nsimbi - Luganda language novelist,historiographer and general educationist.
- Charles Mbiire-Successful Entrepreneur and has shares in MTN Communications Company
- Fr. Anthony Musaala- one of the most popular priests of the Roman Catholic Church in Uganda because of the contemporary and unorthodox style of music he produces (Catholic charismatic preacher)
Simeone P. Kibirige - Fellow of the Association of Chartered Certified Accountant-FCCA -(UK), CPA(U) & ISACA (USA) Member; an Internal Controls Coordinator at Lafarge, British Chevening Scholar at the Leeds University Business School.