February 18, 1988 |
|Height||7 ft 0 in (213 cm)|
|Weight||254 lb (115 kg; 18 st 2 lb)|
Light heavyweight (2005-2006)
|Reach||84.5 in (215 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Beverwijk, Netherlands|
|Team||Beverwijk Top Team
|Rank||Black belt in Kickboxing
Brown belt in Brazilian jiu-jitsu
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Stefan Jaimy Struve (born February 18, 1988) is a Dutch mixed martial artist who competes as a heavyweight in the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC). At seven feet, he is the tallest fighter in the UFC, while he is tied for the longest-reach in the UFC with UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Jon Jones. In his 31 professional fights, only one has gone to a decision.
As of September 15, 2014, he is #15 in official UFC heavyweight rankings.
Growing up in the Netherlands, Struve played soccer until the age of 14. At the age of 15, Struve's brother took him to the local martial arts gym (owned by Bob Schreiber), he decided to pursue a career in mixed martial arts (MMA) instead. Struve had his first amateur MMA bout at age 16, and won via head kick knockout.
Mixed martial arts career
Struve made his professional debut for the GFN organization when he was 17, fighting John De Wilde at Gentlemen Fight Night. By late 2008, he had racked up a record of 16–2, losing once (in his second fight) via injury to Romualds Garkulis and again in the second round of a Star Of Peresvit tournament in Ukraine, to future Bellator Light Heavyweight Champion Christian M'Pumbu.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Struve lost his UFC debut bout at UFC 95 to Junior dos Santos in the first round, after dos Santos stormed Struve with an aggressive flurry of punches. Struve won his next fight at UFC 99, over Denis Stojnic. Struve was cut open by hammerfists from Stojnic while on his back in the first round and, despite bleeding profusely, persevered in the second round and gained Stojnic's back, eventually locking in a rear naked choke to win by submission at 2:37 of the second round.
Struve defeated previously undefeated UFC newcomer Chase Gormley on October 24, 2009, at UFC 104 (also winning the "Submission of the Night" award). The bout was composed mainly of grappling after Gormley took Struve down. There, Struve attempted submissions, before giving up top position to Gormley and securing a triangle choke.
Struve then signed a new four-fight deal with the UFC. His first fight of this contract was against returning veteran Paul Buentello, at UFC 107. Struve replaced injured Todd Duffee. Struve defeated Buentello by majority decision (scores were 29–28, 29–28 and 28–28). After the fight, Struve stated "I don't feel like a winner right now", apparently displeased with his performance.
Struve fought The Ultimate Fighter: Heavyweights winner Roy Nelson on March 31, 2010, at UFC Fight Night 21. Nelson ducked under several of Struve's punches and scored a solid right hook on his chin for the knockout.
Struve then faced undefeated UFC newcomer Christian Morecraft at UFC 117. Struve defeated Morecraft via TKO due to punches at 0:22 of round 2. Morecraft dominated Struve in round one with a ground and pound attack, but was counterpunched and knocked out by Struve during an aggressive rush in round two. The performance won Struve the "Knockout of the Night" bonus award. Between rounds, Struve told his corner, "I'm almost fainting right now, guys."
In September 2010, Struve signed a new four-fight contract with the UFC.
Struve defeated the previously undefeated Sean McCorkle via first round TKO on December 11, 2010, at UFC 124. After being taken down early and escaping a kimura attempt, Struve swept McCorkle, gaining mount, and rained down a steady stream of strikes for the victory.
Struve faced the then undefeated Travis Browne on May 28, 2011 at UFC 130. Despite starting off strong, nearly locking in a D'arce choke, Struve would mistakenly jump for a flying knee, which Browne countered with a superman punch to KO Struve.
Struve defeated Pat Barry on October 1, 2011 at UFC on Versus 6. After a long feeling out process in the 1st round, Struve clinched with Barry, dragged him to the ground, and swiftly locked in a triangle armbar, earning the "Submission of the Night" bonus award in the process.
Struve faced Dave Herman on February 15, 2012 at UFC on Fuel TV 1, winning via second round TKO. During a tepid first round, Struve seemed slow to start, finding little success against Herman who closed distance and looked the more agile striker of the two. In the second round Struve began to open up, mixing in a body-clinch take-down while piecing together striking combinations. He landed a left hook, inside leg kick, left hook & right uppercut in quick succession to drop a stunned Herman, proceeding to mount his opponent and deliver strikes until forcing the referee's intervention.
Struve was expected to face Mark Hunt on May 26, 2012 at UFC 146 but, on May 17, 2012, Hunt withdrew from the bout due to an injury and was replaced by Lavar Johnson. Struve quickly submitted Johnson in the first round with an armbar, earning his third "Submission of the Night" bonus.
Struve beat another undefeated prospect, Stipe Miocic, via TKO in the main event of UFC on Fuel TV 5 on September 29, 2012. The opening stanza saw Miocic slightly edge Struve in a competitive stand-up battle, until the second round when Struve utilized his reach more effectively and became more aggressive. The performance earned both participants Fight of the Night honors.
On August 20, 2013 Struve was reported to have suffered from a leaking aortic valve as well as an enlarged heart, doctors found that Stefan has a bicuspid aortic valve, which means that his aortic valve only has two leaflets, instead of three. It was decided to treat his condition with medication for the next two months. On October 8, 2013 reports came that Struve's heart condition was improving and that a return to fighting was still a possibility. November 24, 2013, it was reported that he was ready to return to a full training schedule.
On April 7, 2014, manager Lex McMahon announced in the show "The MMA Hour" that Struve has approval from the doctor to fight again and return to the Octagon. Quote: “I think we’re very close. Very exciting news with Stefan, he was actually cleared by his doctor in the Netherlands. Right now we’re just waiting for a copy of his file to be translated so that the UFC can have their doctor take a look at it, and they’re going to determine whether or not to have Stefan get a second opinion or not. If they do bring him out for a second opinion, that would likely be out in Los Angeles with the UFC’s cardiologist that they use frequently. I believe they sent Dan Hardy to him and a few other folks.”
Struve was expected to face Matt Mitrione on July 5, 2014 at UFC 175. During the first fight of the main card, however, Struve fainted in the dressing room and had an elevated heart rate. UFC personnel decided to cancel the fight. Struve was later taken to the hospital for precautionary reasons.
Championships and accomplishments
Mixed martial arts
- Ultimate Fighting Championship
- Cage Gladiators
- Cage Gladiators World Heavyweight Champion (One time)
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|32 matches||25 wins||7 losses|
|Loss||25–7||Alistair Overeem||KO (punches)||UFC on Fox: dos Santos vs. Miocic||December 13, 2014||1||4:13||Phoenix, Arizona, United States|
|Loss||25–6||Mark Hunt||TKO (punches)||UFC on Fuel TV: Silva vs. Stann||March 3, 2013||3||1:44||Saitama, Japan|
|Win||25–5||Stipe Miocic||TKO (punches)||UFC on Fuel TV: Struve vs. Miocic||September 29, 2012||2||3:50||Nottingham, England||Fight of the Night.|
|Win||24–5||Lavar Johnson||Submission (armbar)||UFC 146||May 26, 2012||1||1:05||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Submission of the Night.|
|Win||23–5||Dave Herman||TKO (punches)||UFC on Fuel TV: Sanchez vs. Ellenberger||February 15, 2012||2||3:52||Omaha, Nebraska, United States|
|Win||22–5||Pat Barry||Submission (triangle armbar)||UFC Live: Cruz vs. Johnson||October 1, 2011||2||3:22||Washington, D.C., United States||Submission of the Night.|
|Loss||21–5||Travis Browne||KO (superman punch)||UFC 130||May 28, 2011||1||4:11||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||21–4||Sean McCorkle||TKO (punches)||UFC 124||December 11, 2010||1||3:55||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|Win||20–4||Christian Morecraft||KO (punches)||UFC 117||August 7, 2010||2||0:22||Oakland, California, United States||Knockout of the Night.|
|Loss||19–4||Roy Nelson||TKO (punches)||UFC Fight Night: Florian vs. Gomi||March 31, 2010||1||0:39||Charlotte, North Carolina, United States|
|Win||19–3||Paul Buentello||Decision (majority)||UFC 107||December 12, 2009||3||5:00||Memphis, Tennessee, United States|
|Win||18–3||Chase Gormley||Submission (triangle choke)||UFC 104||October 24, 2009||1||4:04||Los Angeles, California, United States||Submission of the Night.|
|Win||17–3||Denis Stojnic||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC 99||June 13, 2009||2||2:37||Cologne, Germany|
|Loss||16–3||Junior dos Santos||TKO (punches)||UFC 95||February 21, 2009||1||0:54||London, United Kingdom|
|Win||16–2||Mario Neto||Submission (rear-naked choke)||CG 10: Clash of the Titans||November 29, 2008||2||3:19||Liverpool, United Kingdom|
|Win||15–2||Ralf Wonnink||Submission (armbar)||KOE: Tough Is Not Enough||October 5, 2008||1||N/A||Rotterdam, Netherlands|
|Win||14–2||Yuji Sakuragi||Submission (triangle choke)||M-1 Challenge 6: Korea||August 29, 2008||1||2:30||Seoul, South Korea|
|Win||13–2||Colin Robinson||Submission (triangle choke)||Cage Gladiators 8||July 27, 2008||1||N/A||Liverpool, United Kingdom|
|Win||12–2||Ralf Wonnink||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Beast of the East||January 26, 2008||1||N/A||Zutphen, Netherlands|
|Loss||11–2||Christian M'Pumbu||Technical Submission (D'arce choke)||Star of Peresvit||December 7, 2007||1||2:05||Kiev, Ukraine||Star of Peresvit openweight tournament semi-final.|
|Win||11–1||Sergey Danish||TKO (corner stoppage)||Star of Peresvit||December 7, 2007||2||2:20||Kiev, Ukraine||Star of Peresvit openweight tournament quarter-final.|
|Win||10–1||Tomek Smykowski||Submission (choke)||TFS: Mixfight Gala VI||November 25, 2007||1||N/A||Munich, Germany|
|Win||9–1||Tom Blackledge||Submission (triangle choke)||Cage Gladiators 5||November 4, 2007||1||2:14||Liverpool, United Kingdom|
|Win||8–1||Denis Komkin||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Siberian Challenge 1||October 14, 2007||1||N/A||Bratsk, Russia|
|Win||7–1||Marko Šintic||Submission (triangle choke)||CF: The Real Deal||May 5, 2007||1||N/A||Emmen, Netherlands|
|Win||6–1||Atte Backman||Submission (triangle choke)||Fight Festival 21||March 17, 2007||1||3:54||Helsinki, Finland|
|Win||5–1||Florian Müller||TKO (punches)||Outsider Cup 6||December 16, 2006||2||1:38||Duisburg, Germany|
|Win||4–1||Marcus Sursa||Submission (triangle choke)||WEF: Orleans Arena||June 10, 2006||1||3:01||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Heavyweight debut.|
|Win||3–1||Murat Bourekba||DQ (fish-hooking)||Staredown City||February 5, 2006||N/A||N/A||Oostzaan, Netherlands|||
|Win||2–1||Emir Smajlovic||KO (punches)||MMA: Event||September 17, 2005||1||N/A||Netherlands|
|Loss||1–1||Romualds Garkulis||TKO (corner stoppage)||Mixfight Gala||April 16, 2005||1||5:00||Netherlands|||
|Win||1–0||John de Wilde||Submission (armbar)||Gentlemen Fight Night||March 19, 2005||1||N/A||Netherlands||Light heavyweight debut.|
Notes and references
- Stefan Struve UFC profile; ufc.com
- Stefan Struve sherdog profile; sherdog.com
- "Fresh off earning his brown belt, UFC’s Stefan Struve looks to submit Mark Hunt in Japan". GracieMag.com. March 1, 2013.
- "Stefan Struve Feeling As Confident As Ever". fightline.com. Retrieved 2012-09-28.
- UFC Fighter Rankings
- "Under Construction: Skyscraper in Progress".
- UFC signs heavyweight Stefan Struve to a 4-fight deal - MMA Fighting
- "Stefan Struve vs. Denis Stojnic". Five Ounces of Pain. Retrieved March 3, 2009.
- Fighters Only Magazine - News - Stefan Struve signs new UFC deal
- "Stefan Struve replaces Todd Duffee, meets Paul Buentello on UFC 107 main card". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved November 11, 2009.
- Stefan Struve will fight newly-signed heavyweight Christian Morecraft at UFC 117 : Pro MMA Now
- "UFC inks heavyweight Stefan Struve to new four-fight deal". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved September 28, 2010.
- "Stefan Struve vs. Sean McCorkle targeted for UFC 124 in Montreal". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved October 5, 2010.
- "Travis Browne vs. Stefan Struve targeted for UFC 130 in May". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved January 6, 2011.
- "UFC on Versus 6 Fight Card: Pat Barry and Stefan Struve Go Big". MMAWeekly.com. 2011-07-26.
- "Dave Herman vs. Stefan Struve targeted for UFC on FUEL TV 1". mmajunkie.com. November 30, 2011. Retrieved November 30, 2011.
- "Mark Hunt vs. Stefan Struve completes all-heavyweight UFC 146 main card". mmajunkie.com. 14 March 2012.
- "Mark Hunt Out of UFC 146; Lavar Johnson Now Meets Stefan Struve". mmafighting.com. May 17, 2012. Retrieved May 17, 2012.
- "Stefan Struve vs. Stipe Miocic tapped UFC on FUEL TV 5 headliner in Nottingham". mmajunkie.com. June 15, 2012.
- "Stefan Struve vs. Mark Hunt Likely for UFC on Fuel 8 in Japan". mmaweekly.com. December 4, 2012. Retrieved December 4, 2012.
- "Stefan Struve breaks jaw in UFC on FUEL TV 8 loss (and posts grisly photo)". mmajunkie.com. March 4, 2013.
- "Stefan Struve's heart condition improves, still determined to return to UFC". mmafighting.com. 2013-10-08.
- "After Declaring Return, Stefan Struve Draws Matt Mitrione at UFC 175". mmaweekly.com. 2014-05-08.
- Cole, Ross (8 May 2014). "Stefan Struve Returns To Fight Matt Mitrione At UFC 175". Fight of the Night. Retrieved 13 May 2014.
- "Stefan Struve pulled from UFC 175 after passing out prior to fight". FoxSports.com.
- Matt Erickson (2014-09-17). "Alistair Overeem vs. Stefan Struve booked for UFC on FOX 13 in Phoenix". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-09-18.
- Erik Fontanez (2014-06-30). "Following Father’s Death and Extended Layoff, Stefan Struve Focused on UFC Return". mmaweekly.com. Retrieved 2014-09-18.
- Gareth A Davies (2014-02-13). "Stefan Struve set to return to UFC after year in the wilderness". telegraph.co.uk. Retrieved 2014-09-18.
- UFC 117 bonuses: Struve, Silva, Sonnen and Hughes earn $60,000 fighter awards | MMAjunkie.com
- UFC 104 fighter bonuses: Struve, Barry and Hardonk earn $60k awards; Johnson snubbed | MMAjunkie.com
- John Butterfield (May 27, 2011). "411 Fighter Profile 05.27.11: Stefan Struve". 411.com.