May 18, 1979 |
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
|Other names||Napão (IPA: [naˈpɐ̃w̃])|
|Residence||Ludlow, Massachusetts, United States|
|Height||6 ft 2 in (188 cm)|
|Weight||258 lb (117 kg; 18 st 6 lb)|
|Reach||76 in (193 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Ludlow, Massachusetts, United States|
|Rank||4th Degree Black Belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Gabriel Gonzaga-Nogueira (Portuguese pronunciation: [ɡabɾiˈew ɡõˈzaɡɐ]; born May 18, 1979), is a Brazilian mixed martial artist who competes for the Ultimate Fighting Championship. He holds a black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, is a former member of Chute Boxe Academy and now fights out of Ludlow, Massachusetts and coaches BJJ in Worcester as a part of Team Link. He won a gold medal in the Ultra Heavyweight division at the 2006 Mundials, which is considered to be the top Brazilian Jiu Jitsu competition in the world. As of January 17, 2014, he is #12 in official UFC heavyweight rankings and ranked the #10 heavyweight in the world by Sherdog.
Mixed martial arts career
Gonzaga made his MMA debut on April 4, 2003 in Santos, Brazil against Cicero Costa, winning via submission due to punches in the first round. He went on to compile a 4-1 professional record with his only loss coming via TKO to Fabricio Werdum.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
He made his UFC debut at UFC 56, knocking out Kevin Jordan with a superman punch at 4:39 of the third round. However, weeks before the fight, his pregnant wife started having complications with her pregnancy and lost one of the twins she was carrying. Gonzaga's obligations to his wife during her high risk pregnancy left him unable to train properly.
At UFC 74, Gonzaga lost to Couture by TKO due to punches from the mount at the 1:37 mark of the third round.
Gonzaga also fought at UFC 86 against Justin McCully. Early in the first round, McCully fell to the ground due to a powerful leg kick from Gonzaga. Gonzaga took to McCully's half guard, quickly passing to the mount position and winning by first round submission with an americana from the mount.
At UFC 91 Gonzaga knocked out UFC newcomer Josh Hendricks with a right hand at 1:01 of the first round.
Gonzaga then faced undefeated heavyweight prospect Shane Carwin at UFC 96. In the first 30 seconds of the fight, Gonzaga caught Carwin with an uppercut and two left hooks, breaking his nose. Gonzaga took the fight to the floor, but Carwin quickly fought back to his feet. Against the fence, Carwin pushed Gonzaga away and threw an overhand right that knocked Gonzaga out. The referee called the match at 69 seconds of round 1, handing Gonzaga his fourth career loss.
At UFC 102 Gonzaga defeated Chris Tuchscherer via TKO at 2:27 of the first round. The fight, however, was controversial, as Gonzaga landed an illegal low blow that hurt Tuchsherer very badly. While Tuchsherer was able to continue after taking a full five minute rest, Gonzaga landed a powerful head kick and continued to dominate the rest of the fight, eventually finishing via strikes.
Gonzaga was defeated by Brendan Schaub on October 23, 2010 at UFC 121 by unanimous decision. All three judges scored the fight 30-27 after Gonzaga was out-struck throughout all three rounds by Schaub. This was also the first bout in Gonzaga's professional career to go the distance.
Following the loss to Schaub, Gonzaga was released from the promotion.
After being released by the UFC, Gonzaga stated that he would only compete in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu but expressed interest in returning to MMA. Gonzaga returned to action against Reality Fighting heavyweight champion Parker Porter. Gonzaga fought Porter on October 8 where he submitted him with an arm triangle choke in the third round, winning the Reality Fighting Heavyweight Championship.
Return to the UFC
It was announced that Gonzaga signed a new, four fight contract with the Ultimate Fighting Championship on December 16, 2011. In his return bout, he faced Ednaldo Oliveira at UFC 142, replacing an injured Rob Broughton. Gonzaga won the fight via submission in the first round.
Gabriel Gonzaga was expected to face Shane del Rosario at UFC 146 on May 26, 2012. Gabriel was pulled from the bout against Shane Del Rosario to replace Antonio Silva against Roy Nelson, after Silva was switched to meet Cain Velasquez. Gonzaga later was forced out of the bout against Roy Nelson because of an injury, being replaced by Dave Herman.
Gonzaga was expected to face promotional newcomer Geronimo dos Santos on October 13, 2012 at UFC 153 but dos Santos dropped off the card for an undisclosed reason. As no replacement was scheduled, Gonzaga was also removed from the card.
ADCC Submission Wrestling Championships
Record of opponents:
- Won: Mustapha al-Turk (pts), Ricco Rodriguez (pts), Marcio Cruz (pts), Eduardo Telles (pts)
- Lost: Jeff Monson (pts), Xande Ribeiro (sub)
2006 Winner CBJJO Copa Do Mundo Black Belt Pesadissimo Winner CBJJ Mundials Black Belt Pesadissimo
2005 2nd CBJJO Copa Do Mundo Black Belt Pesadissimo 3rd CBJJO Copa Do Mundo Black Belt Absolute 2nd place ADCC +99 kg
2003 2nd CBJJO Copa Do Mundo Black Belt Pesadissimo 2nd CBJJO Copa Do Mundo Black Belt Absolute
2000 3rd Mundials black belt Super-Pesado
Championships and accomplishments
Mixed Martial Arts
- Ultimate Fighting Championship
- FIGHT! Magazine
- Fight Matrix
- Most Lopsided Upset of the Year (2007)
- Reality Fighting
- Reality Fighting Heavyweight Championship (One time)
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|24 matches||16 wins||8 losses|
|Loss||16–8||Stipe Miocic||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fox: Henderson vs. Thomson||January 25, 2014||3||5:00||Chicago, Illinois, United States|
|Win||16–7||Shawn Jordan||KO (punches)||UFC 166||October 19, 2013||1||1:33||Houston, Texas, United States|
|Win||15–7||Dave Herman||KO (punches)||UFC 162||July 6, 2013||1||0:17||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||14–7||Travis Browne||KO (elbows)||The Ultimate Fighter 17 Finale||April 13, 2013||1||1:11||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||14–6||Ben Rothwell||Submission (guillotine choke)||UFC on FX: Belfort vs. Bisping||January 19, 2013||2||1:01||São Paulo, Brazil|
|Win||13–6||Ednaldo Oliveira||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC 142||January 14, 2012||1||3:22||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|Win||12–6||Parker Porter||Submission (arm-triangle choke)||Reality Fighting: Gonzaga vs. Porter||October 8, 2011||3||1:50||Uncasville, Connecticut, United States||Won Reality Fighting Heavyweight Championship.|
|Loss||11–6||Brendan Schaub||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 121||October 23, 2010||3||5:00||Anaheim, California, United States|
|Loss||11–5||Junior dos Santos||KO (punches)||UFC Live: Vera vs. Jones||March 21, 2010||1||3:53||Broomfield, Colorado, United States|
|Win||11–4||Chris Tuchscherer||TKO (punches)||UFC 102||August 29, 2009||1||2:27||Portland, Oregon, United States|
|Loss||10–4||Shane Carwin||KO (punches)||UFC 96||March 7, 2009||1||1:09||Columbus, Ohio, United States|
|Win||10–3||Josh Hendricks||KO (punches)||UFC 91||November 15, 2008||1||1:01||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||9–3||Justin McCully||Submission (keylock)||UFC 86||July 5, 2008||1||1:57||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||8–3||Fabricio Werdum||TKO (punches)||UFC 80||January 19, 2008||2||4:34||Newcastle upon Tyne, England|
|Loss||8–2||Randy Couture||TKO (punches)||UFC 74||August 25, 2007||3||1:37||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||For the UFC Heavyweight Championship. Fight of the Night.|
|Win||8–1||Mirko Filipović||KO (head kick)||UFC 70||April 21, 2007||1||4:51||Manchester, England||UFC Heavyweight title eliminator. Knockout of the Night. Knockout of the Year.|
|Win||7–1||Carmelo Marrero||Submission (armbar)||UFC 66||December 30, 2006||1||3:22||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||6–1||Fabiano Scherner||TKO (punches)||UFC 60||May 27, 2006||2||0:24||Los Angeles, California, United States|
|Win||5–1||Kevin Jordan||KO (superman punch)||UFC 56||November 19, 2005||3||4:39||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||4–1||Walter Farias||Submission (neck crank)||Shooto Brazil: Never Shake||October 23, 2004||2||N/A||São Paulo, Brazil|
|Win||3–1||Charlie Brown||TKO (retirement)||Jungle Fight 2||May 15, 2004||3||N/A||Manaus, Brazil|
|Loss||2–1||Fabricio Werdum||TKO (punches)||Jungle Fight 1||October 13, 2003||3||2:11||Manaus, Brazil|
|Win||2–0||Branden Lee Hinkle||Submission (triangle choke)||Meca 9: Meca World Vale Tudo 9||August 1, 2003||1||3:54||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|Win||1–0||Cicero Costa||Submission (punches)||Brazilian Gladiators 2||April 2, 2003||1||N/A||São Paulo, Brazil|
- UFC Fighter Rankings
- "Sherdog's Official Mixed Martial Arts Rankings". Sherdog.com. 2014-01-05.
- "A statement from Gabriel "Napao" Gonzaga". PuroresuPower.com. November 26, 2005. Retrieved January 19, 2008.[dead link]
- "Top Brazilian Heavyweights Battle in Newcastle". Sherdog. October 30, 2007. Retrieved October 30, 2007.
- "UFC 86 Review: Main Event Wows, Forrest Wins!". MMAWeekly.com. July 6, 2008. Retrieved 2011-07-31.
- "Another good fight goes bye-bye: Gonzaga out of UFC 108". sports.yahoo.com. 2009-11-25.
- "Gabriel "Napao" Gonzaga". sherdog.com.
- "Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Brendan Schaub meet at UFC 121 in California". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2010-07-22.
- "Gonzaga released from the UFC". BostonHerald.com. Retrieved 2010-10-28.
- "Gabriel Gonzaga Back, Faces Ednaldo Oliveira at UFC 142". MMAweekly.com. December 16, 2011. Retrieved December 16, 2011.
- "Gabriel Gonzaga set to welcome Strikeforce's Shane Del Rosario to the Octagon". mmamania.com. February 22, 2012.
- "Gabriel Gabriel Gonzaga fills an open slot against Roy Nelson at UFC 146". mmajunkie.com. April 23, 2012. Retrieved April 23, 2012.
- "Roy Nelson vs Dave Herman booked with Gabriel Gonzaga injured". mmamania.com. May 2, 2012. Retrieved May 2, 2012.
- "Gonzaga vs. ‘Mondragon’ set for UFC 153". tatame.com. August 1, 2012.
- Staff (2012-11-02). "Heavyweights Ben Rothwell, Gabriel Gonzaga targeted for Jan. 19 UFC card in Brazil". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-11-02.
- Staff (2013-02-11). "Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Travis Browne booked for The Ultimate Fighter 17 Finale". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-02-11.
- "Shane del Rosario forced out at UFC 162, Dave Herman now meets Gabriel Gonzaga". mmajunkie.com. 2013-05-31. Retrieved 2013-06-01.
- Brian Hemminger (2013-07-24). "Heavyweight bout Shawn Jordan vs Gabriel Gonzaga slated for UFC 166 in Houston". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2013-07-24.
- Staff (2013-11-20). "Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Stipe Miocic added to UFC on FOX 10 in Chicago". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-11-20.
- Remillard, Jason (January 18, 2008). "Ultimate Time for Gonzaga". Mass Live.com. Retrieved January 19, 2008.
- Official site Gabriel "Napão" Gonzaga
- Professional MMA record for Gabriel Gonzaga from Sherdog
- Team Link Website
- UFC Profile