February 26, 1984 |
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
|Height||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
|Weight||155 lb (70 kg; 11.1 st)|
|Division||Lightweight (2011 - present)
Welterweight (2006 - 2011)
|Reach||72.5 in (184 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia|
|Team||Fit Plus Martial Arts|
|Rank||Brown belt in Brazilian jiu-jitsu|
|Years active||2006 - present|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Timothy Jerome "TJ" Grant (born February 26, 1984) is a Canadian mixed martial artist. He currently fights in the lightweight division of the Ultimate Fighting Championship. As of January 17, 2014, he is #3 in official UFC Lightweight rankings and ranked the #4 Lightweight in the world by Sherdog.
Grant began training in Brazilian jiu-jitsu at the age of 15 and then also began wrestling, later going on to compete at Cole Harbour District High School. Grant was a three-time Wrestling Champion in his province in 2001, 2002, and 2004 and also represented Nova Scotia at the 2001 Canada Games in London, Ontario. Grant has also won several competitions in submission wrestling and Brazilian jiu-jitsu in his home country of Canada.
Mixed martial arts career
Grant made his professional mixed martial arts debut in 2007 and compiled a record of 13-2 before being signed by the UFC.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Grant was expected to face Matthew Riddle on June 26, 2011 at UFC on Versus 4. However, Riddle was forced from the bout with an injury and replaced by Charlie Brenneman. Then, just days before the event, Grant was forced out the Brenneman bout with an illness. Since there was not enough time to find a suitable replacement, the bout was scrapped.
Grant dropped down to Lightweight for the first time in his career and faced Shane Roller on October 1, 2011 at UFC on Versus 6. After controlling the fight on the ground for the first two rounds, Grant attempted an armbar in the middle of the third round. Although the submission looked tight, referee Fernando Yamasaki stopped the bout due to Roller's audible pain, although Roller did not appear to have tapped out. Despite Roller's protest, Grant was declared winner by technical submission.
Grant faced then UFC #3 Lightweight Contender Gray Maynard at UFC 160 on May 25, 2013. UFC president Dana White announced at the UFC on Fox 7 post-fight press conference that he expected the winner of the Maynard/Grant fight to get a UFC Lightweight title shot. Grant won the fight via TKO in the first round after knocking Maynard down with a straight right hand on the jaw, earning Knockout of the Night honors.
Grant was expected to face then UFC Lightweight Champion Benson Henderson on August 31, 2013 at UFC 164. However, Grant was forced out of the bout with an injury and was replaced by Anthony Pettis, who won the championship.
A bout with Pettis was targeted for December 14, 2013 at UFC on Fox 9. However, Grant revealed in mid-September that he has yet to be medically cleared after suffering a concussion in training and would not be eligible to compete on December 14 and opted to decline the bout. Pettis eventually withdrew from the bout as well, sustaining an injury of his own.
Championships and accomplishments
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|26 matches||21 wins||5 losses|
|Win||21–5||Gray Maynard||TKO (knee & punches)||UFC 160||May 25, 2013||1||2:07||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Lightweight title eliminator. Knockout of the Night.|
|Win||20–5||Matt Wiman||KO (elbows & punches)||UFC on Fox: Johnson vs. Dodson||January 26, 2013||1||4:51||Chicago, Illinois, United States|
|Win||19–5||Evan Dunham||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 152||September 22, 2012||3||5:00||Toronto, Ontario, Canada||Fight of the Night|
|Win||18–5||Carlo Prater||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fuel TV: Korean Zombie vs. Poirier||May 15, 2012||3||5:00||Fairfax, Virginia United States|
|Win||17–5||Shane Roller||Submission (armbar)||UFC Live: Cruz vs. Johnson||October 1, 2011||3||2:12||Washington, D.C. United States||Lightweight debut|
|Loss||16–5||Ricardo Almeida||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 124||December 11, 2010||3||5:00||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|Win||16–4||Julio Paulino||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 119||September 25, 2010||3||5:00||Indianapolis, Indiana, United States|
|Loss||15–4||Johny Hendricks||Decision (majority)||UFC 113||May 8, 2010||3||5:00||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|Win||15–3||Kevin Burns||TKO (punches)||UFC 107||December 12, 2009||1||4:57||Memphis, Tennessee, United States||Knockout of the Night|
|Loss||14–3||Dong Hyun Kim||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 100||July 11, 2009||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||14–2||Ryo Chonan||Decision (split)||UFC 97||April 18, 2009||3||5:00||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|Win||13–2||Beau Baker||Submission (armbar)||PFP: Wanted||November 29, 2008||3||3:03||Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada|
|Win||12–2||Forrest Petz||Submission (arm-triangle choke)||TKO 35: Quenneville vs. Hioki||October 3, 2008||2||3:55||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|Win||11–2||Chad Reiner||Submission (kimura)||PFP: Last Man Standing||June 21, 2008||3||4:15||Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada|
|Win||10–2||Mike Gates||Submission (armbar)||PFP: Street Justice||April 26, 2008||2||3:29||Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada|
|Loss||9–2||Jesse Bongfeldt||Submission (armbar)||TKO 32: Ultimatum||February 28, 2008||3||2:52||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|Win||9–1||Stephan Lamarche||Submission (kimura)||KOTC: Avalanche||December 15, 2007||3||4:56||Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada|
|Win||8–1||Stephane Dube||Submission (heel hook)||TKO 30: Apocalypse||September 28, 2007||1||2:16||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|Win||7–1||Kevin Manderson||Submission (rear-naked choke)||KOTC: Supremacy||July 14, 2007||1||2:52||Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada|
|Loss||6–1||Gary Wright||Decision (unanimous)||KOTC: Megiddo||April 28, 2007||3||5:00||Vernon, British Columbia, Canada|
|Win||6–0||Elmer Waterhen||Submission (armbar)||KOTC: Capital Chaos||March 28, 2007||1||2:20||Hull, Quebec, Canada|
|Win||5–0||Nicholas Portieous||Submission (armbar)||KOTC: Freedom Fight||January 20, 2007||1||0:45||Gatineau, Quebec, Canada|
|Win||4–0||Eric Beaulieu||TKO (punches)||ECC 4: Fury||December 2, 2006||1||0:33||Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada|
|Win||3–0||Rob Wynne||Submission (armbar)||UGC 14: No Pain, No Gain||September 21, 2006||2||4:54||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|Win||2–0||Daniel Grandmaison||Submission (armbar)||ECC 3: East Coast Warriors||July 22, 2006||1||1:46||Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada|
|Win||1–0||Craig Skinner||Submission (armbar)||Extreme Cage Combat 1||April 29, 2006||1||N/A||Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada|
- UFC Fighter Rankings
- "Sherdog's Official Mixed Martial Arts Rankings". sherdog.com. January 4, 2014.
- "T.J. Grant vs. Julio Paulino in the works for UFC 119 in September". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2010-07-06.
- "Ricardo Almeida vs. T.J. Grant targeted for UFC 124 in Montreal". mmajunkie.com. 2010-10-06.
- "UFC Live 4 Gets Grant-Riddle Addition". sherdog.com. 2011-04-27.
- "Matt Riddle out, Charlie Brenneman in against T.J. Grant at UFC on Versus 4". mmajunkie.com. May 6, 2011.
- "T.J. Grant withdraws from UFC on Versus 4, fight with Charlie Brenneman scrapped". mmajunkie.com. June 22, 2011.
- "Shane Roller vs TJ Grant fight announced for Oct. 1 in Washington D.C.". mmamania.com. July 29, 2011.
- "Jacob Volkmann vs. T.J. Grant booked for UFC 141 in Las Vegas". mmajunkie.com. October 24, 2011.
- Stupp, Dann (December 6, 2011). "'TUF 8' champ Escudero returning to UFC, meets Volkmann at UFC 141". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved December 6, 2011.
- "T.J. Grant vs. Carlo Prater Added to UFC on Fuel 3". mmaweekly.com. February 22, 2012.
- "UFC 152 adds Evan Dunham vs. T.J. Grant". mmajunkie.com. July 19, 2012.
- Grienke, Keith (September 22, 2012). "UFC 152 Bonus Winners". TopMMANews.com. Retrieved September 22, 2012.
- "T.J. Grant vs. Matt Wiman set for UFC on FOX 6 in Chicago". mmajunkie.com. November 7, 2012.
- Grienke, Keith (February 21, 2013). "TJ Grant to Face Gray Maynard at UFC 160". TopMMANews.com. Retrieved February 21, 2013.
- Grienke, Keith (April 20, 2013). "Dana White Announces TJ Grant/Maynard Winner to Fight for UFC Lightweight Title". TopMMANews.com. Retrieved April 20, 2013.
- Mike Bohn (2013-06-04). "Benson Henderson vs. T.J. Grant lightweight title fight announced as UFC 164 headliner". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2013-06-04.
- John Morgan (2013-07-12). "T.J. Grant injured, Anthony Pettis now meets champ Benson Henderson at UFC 164". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-07-12.
- Sean Smith (2013-09-11). "Dana White Wants Anthony Pettis vs. TJ Grant at UFC on Fox 9". bleacherreport.com. Retrieved 2013-09-11.
- Staff (2013-09-16). "T.J. Grant ruled out of planned UFC on FOX 9 title fight with Anthony Pettis". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-09-16.
- Henderson, Jason (6 May 2014). "Nate Diaz And TJ Grant Removed From UFC’s Lightweight Rankings". Fight of the Night. Retrieved 13 May 2014.
- TJ Grant's Sherdog Profile, Credit to Sherdog
- TJ Grant's signing with UFC announced, Credits to Sherdog/Andy Cotterill