|Launched||October 1, 2007|
|Owned by||Teletoon Canada
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)|
|Bell TV||Channel 599|
|Shaw Direct||Channel 536/181|
|Available on many Canadian cable systems.||Check local listings, channels may vary|
|Bell Fibe TV||Channel 599|
|Optik TV||Channel 77|
Teletoon Retro (stylized as TELETOON Retro) is a Canadian English-language Category B specialty channel that is based on the former Teletoon programming block "Teletoon Retro". The service consists of animated series that commenced production at least 10 years prior to their exhibition. Teletoon Retro is owned by Teletoon Canada, a wholly owned subsidiary of Corus Entertainment.
Teletoon Retro began as a programming block on Teletoon. On November 24, 2000, Teletoon Canada was given approval by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) to launch a national English language category 2 specialty channel named Teletoon Retro. The channel never made it to air.
Plans to launch the channel arose again in 2005, when on October 25, Teletoon Canada was given approval again to launch Teletoon Retro. The channel was launched at 6:00 PM EST on October 1, 2007.
A French language counterpart, titled Télétoon Rétro, which had been given approval to be launched at the same time as Teletoon Retro, was launched on September 4, 2008.
On March 4, 2013, Corus Entertainment announced that it would acquire Astral Media's 50% ownership interest in Teletoon Canada (owner of Teletoon, Télétoon, Teletoon Retro, Télétoon Rétro, and Cartoon Network). The purchase was in relation to Bell Media's pending takeover of Astral (which had earlier been rejected by the CRTC in October 2012, but was restructured to allow the sale of certain Astral Media properties in order to allow the purchase to clear regulatory hurdles). Corus's purchase was cleared by the Competition Bureau two weeks later on March 18; on December 20, 2013, the CRTC approved Corus's full ownership of Teletoon Canada and it was purchased by Corus on January 1, 2014.
Although Teletoon Retro is a spin-off from a network devoted to animation, its programming is not restricted to cartoons, as it also airs a number of live-action series such as Batman, Fraggle Rock and Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers.
- "TELETOON Canada inc". Corp.teletoon.com. Retrieved 2014-01-08.
- Decision CRTC 2000-697; CRTC; 2000-12-14
- Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2005-511; CRTC; 2005-10-25
- Teletoon Retro launches for francophones; Media In Canada; 2008-06-12
- BCE to sell assets to Corus as part of Astral deal, The Globe and Mail (via Reuters and The Canadian Press), March 4, 2013.
- The Canadian Press (uncredited staff) (2013-03-18). "Competition Bureau clears Corus acquisition of Astral assets". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved 2013-07-05.
- Vessing, Etan (2013-12-20). "Corus/Teletoon Deal Approved by CRTC". Kidscreen. Brunico Communications. Retrieved 2013-12-21.
- "Press Release - Corus Entertainment Receives CRTC Approval on TELETOON Canada Inc., Historia and Séries+ Acquisitions". Corusent.com. Retrieved 2013-12-22.
- "Press Release - Corus Entertainment Completes Purchase of Historia, Séries+ and TELETOON Canada Inc". Corusent.com. 2014-01-01. Retrieved 2014-01-08.