|Beauty pageant titleholder|
Tina Ambani in 2012
|Born||Tina Munim a.k.a Nivurti Munim
11 February 1957
|Other names||Nivurti Munim|
|Title(s)||Femina Teen Princess 1975|
|Femina Teen Princess 1975
Miss Teenage Intercontinental 1975
(2nd Runner Up)
Tina Ambani (née Munim, born 11 February 1957) is an Indian film actress and beauty pageant winner, she was crowned Femina Teen Princess 1975. She represented India at International Teen Princess 1975 and was crowned 2nd Runner Up. She acted in Bollywood movies during the late 1970s to late 80s. She is married to Anil Ambani. She is involved in a number of philanthropic and charity activities and is currently running an NGO and a hospital.
Ambani was born into a large Gujarati family in Mumbai. She was discovered by (Dev Anand) after she represented India in 1975 at the Miss Teenage Intercontinental contest in Aruba, and was crowned 2nd runner up there, she also won two sub-awards including Miss Photogenic and Miss Bikini awards.
In 1978, Dev Anand cast her in his film Des Pardes, which launched her film career. He went on to cast her in two other films with him in the lead role: Lootmaar and Man Pasand. Sunil Dutt launched his son Sanjay Dutt in Rocky, and cast Munim as the heroine. Director Basu Chatterjee cast her in Baaton Baaton Mein and Man Pasand.
Ambani worked with Rajesh Khanna in several films in the 1980s, including Fiffty Fiffty, Souten, Bewafai, Suraag, Insaaf Main Karoonga, Adhikar, Rajput, Akhir Kyun and Paapi Pet Ka Sawaal Hai. They were also linked romantically. In 1985 Rajesh Khanna turned into a film producer and cast Ambani as his female lead in the film Alag Alag. In 1992, Ram Awatar Agnihotri wrote that it was in Alag Alag that Ambani showed the "first sparks" of her career, and praised her performance in Bhagwaan Dada. Ambani has stated that her performance in the film Adhikar was the best performance of her career.
In 1987, Ambani gave up her Bollywood career and moved to the United States, but two of her movies were released in 1988 and 1991, respectively.
Between 1981 and 1987, Ambani was in a relationship with Rajesh Khanna. When the relationship ended, she decided to move to California to attend college there. In 1992 she married Anil Ambani. She has two sons with him. Today, she is involved in a number of charity, arts, and talent endeavours, including
- Harmony Foundation – For Senior citizens
- Harmony Art Foundation – For Promotion of Art
- Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital & Medical Research Institute – Mumbai
- Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Nursing College (KDA-NC) – Mumbai
|Awards and achievements|
|Miss Teenage Intercontinental India
|Miss Teenage Intercontinental
2nd runner up
Barbara Ann Neefs
- Priya Gupta. "Tina Ambani: Every organ wasted is a potential life lost". The Times of India. Retrieved 25 January 2015.
I wanted to explore the world. I returned to India in 1990. I knew Anil as he too was a Gujarati and we had common friends. We dated for a few months when I returned, I met his parents and we got married. Post marriage, I worked for the Harmony division of Reliance that was into sarees and fabrics. I then designed one of the offices of Reliance at Ballard Estate.
- "Rajesh Khanna, the phenomenon". rediff.com. Retrieved 9 March 2011.
- Entertainment (29 December 2010). "Birthday Special: Rajesh Khanna – 6". Entertainment.in.msn.com. Retrieved 9 March 2011.
- "ALAG ALAG – Film / Movie". Citwf.com. Retrieved 9 March 2011.
- Artistes and their films of modern ... – Google Books. Books.google.com. 21 May 2008. Retrieved 9 March 2011.
- "The Tribune, Chandigarh, India – HER WORLD". Tribuneindia.com. Retrieved 7 November 2012.
- "Bollywood Divas". Hindustantimes.com. Retrieved 9 March 2011.
- Indbazaar.com – FamilyTime