||This article's lead section may not adequately summarize key points of its contents. (May 2014)|
Twin Shadow "Old Love/New Love" 2013
|Birth name||George Lewis Jr.|
|Born||1983 (age 30–31)
|Origin||Bushwick, Brooklyn, USA|
|Genres||New wave, chillwave synthpop|
|Labels||Terrible Records / 4AD, Warner Bros. Records (2014-present)|
Lewis was born in 1983 in the Dominican Republic and raised in Florida. Lewis's first exposure to music started by singing in his church choir. While growing up, Lewis listened to punk music, Bob Dylan, The Beatles, Boyz II Men, Keith Sweat, and Bobby Brown. Around 2000, he moved to Boston and started the band Mad Man Films alongside Joseph Ciampini (drums) (of Hooray For Earth), and Zak Longo (bass) of Before Lazers. Mad Man Films released two records independently. In 2006, not satisfied with recording music for theatre and films, Lewis moved to Brooklyn, NY and started the Twin Shadow project. Twin Shadow was the Rolling Stone Band of the Week on October 7, 2010.
In 2013, Lewis appeared in the video game Grand Theft Auto V as a DJ for the Radio Mirror Park radio station.
Forget has also been described as "steeped in 1980s new wave", "building from streaks of haunting synth textures", having "sophisticated melodies", "R&B intimacy", and "poetic lyrics", and "hazily new wave-tinged pop".
In 2012, the follow-up album, Confess, produced by Lewis himself, was released. Lewis gained inspiration for the album after experiencing a motorcycle accident in Boston. Two of the album's songs, "Five Seconds" and "Patient", were transformed into a music video saga which drew inspiration from Lewis's novel Night of the Silver Sun. The A.V. Club described the album as "filled with Morrissey-esque yelps and Human League-worthy choruses, [...] Twin Shadow manages to digest his influences rather than simply replicate them. Confess retains the humid fog that saturated Forget, but the instrumentation is brighter, louder, and sharper. Synthesizers punch through the atmosphere, and Lewis' exquisite croon floats above it all."
Twin Shadow played Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival in April 2011, Sasquatch Music Festival in May 2011 and May 2013, San Miguel Primavera Sound in May 2011 and both Pitchfork Music Festival and Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival in June 2011. He supported Florence and the Machine at certain performances during their 2011 U.S. Tour. 2014 sees him touring with his "Eclipse Tour", that includes the international festival circuit before concluding in North America.
- On the limited edition version of Twin Shadow's Forget, there's a collaboration with Hooray for Earth called "A Place We Like".
- Twin Shadow remixed Lady Gaga's "Born This Way".
- A Twin Shadow remix of Neon Indian's "Psychic Chasms" appears on that band's Mind Ctrl: Psychic Chasms Possessed.
- A Twin Shadow remix of Neon Indian's "Hex Girlfriend" appears on that band's ERRATA ANEX EP.
- The iTunes Store edition of Haim's Days Are Gone includes the bonus track "Edge", a song co-written by Lewis.
- Flume released a mixtape as part of the deluxe edition of his self-titled album. Twin Shadow was featured on the track "Sleepless".
- Twin Shadow sings lead on “Lost You”, an anthemic track from the Canadian festival-dance producers Zeds Dead
- Twin Shadow and D’Angelo Lacy collaborated with Wrestlers for single “Say Anything” which was released on Record Store Day (April 19, 2014) on a Red Bull Sound Select limited edition split 7″.
Lewis has written a novel called The Night of the Silver Sun.
Singles and EPs
- "The One" (Live on KCRW)
- "Old Love/New Love"(featured track on Grand Theft Auto V)
- "To The Top" (released April 15, 2014)
- Surfer Blood - Floating Vibes (Twin Shadow Remix)
- N.E.R.D. Feat Daft Punk - Hypnotize Remix (Twin Shadow Remix)
- Gypsy & The Cat - Jona Vark Remix (Twin Shadow Remix)
- Bear In Heaven - Lovesick Teenagers (Twin Shadow Remix)
- Oh Land - White Nights (Twin Shadow Remix)
- Lady Gaga - Born This Way (Twin Shadow Remix)
- MS MR - Hurricane (Twin Shadow Remix)
- Hex Girlfriend (Twin Shadow Remix)
- Wim - See You Hurry (Twin Shadow Remix)
- Hooray For Earth - "Surrounded By Your Friends (Twin Shadow Remix)
- Sky Ferreira – Everything Is Embarrassing (Twin Shadow Remix)
- SKATERS - Deadbolt (Twin Shadow Remix)
In 2013, Twin Shadow launched the UNDER THE CVRS series in which he covers requested songs from various artists.
- "Not in Love" (10cc cover) August 2013
- "I'm on Fire" (Bruce Springsteen cover) September 2013
- "Silent All These Years" (Tori Amos cover) September 2013
- "Perfect Day" (Lou Reed cover) October 2013
- "With or Without You" (U2 cover)
- "Cupid" (112 cover)
- "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out" (The Smiths Cover)
- Episode #1.435 (2011) (writer: "Castles in the Snow" / performer: "Castles in the Snow")
- As himself – musical guest
- Episode #578 (Tuesday, June 3rd, 2014) (song performed: "To The Top")
- As himself – musical guest
- Colville, Liz (October 4, 2010). "Twin Shadow: Forget". pitchfork.com. Retrieved December 2, 2010.
- Bermingham, Finbarr. "Twin Shadow: Born in the 80s". The Skinny. Retrieved September 27, 2012.
- Drever, Ryan (November 18, 2010). "Twin Shadow - Forget". drownedinsound.com. Retrieved December 2, 2010.
- Berg, Jeffery (November 22, 2010). "Twin Shadow – The New New New Wave". Retrieved December 2, 2010.
- Wright, Lisa (November 12, 2010). "Twin Shadow - Forget". nme.com. Retrieved December 2, 2010.
- Fitzmaurice, Larry (July 5, 2012). "Twin Shadow – Interview". Retrieved July 9, 2012.
- Minsker, Evan (July 10, 2012). "Video: Twin Shadow: "Patient"". pitchfork.com. Retrieved September 6, 2012.