UCL Eastman Dental Institute
|UCL Eastman Dental Institute|
|Director||Professor Stephen Porter|
|Location||London, United Kingdom|
|Website||UCL Eastman Dental Institute|
The UCL Eastman Dental Institute is the dental school of University College London (UCL) and an academic department of UCL's Faculty of Medical Sciences. The Institute is based on Gray's Inn Road in the Bloomsbury district of London, United Kingdom, adjacent to the Eastman Dental Hospital, with which it is closely associated.
The Institute is the largest postgraduate dental centre in Europe, and together with the Eastman Dental Hospital forms one of the largest concentrations of oral health care specialists and research in Europe. The Institute runs a CPD programme with the British Dental Journal which is one of the largest of its type, with around 14,000 dental care professionals enrolled.
In 1926 George Eastman donated £200,000 to fund the establishment of a dental clinic in London, after being approached by the Chairman of the Royal Free Hospital, Lord Riddell, with donations of £50,000 each also made by Lord Riddell and the Royal Free honorary treasurer. On 20 November 1931, the Eastman Dental Clinic opened as part of the Royal Free Hospital. In 1948, the Eastman became independent of the Royal Free and became the postgraduate dental institute of the Postgraduate Medical Federation. In 1949 the Eastman opened a department of pathology and microbiology and the first civilian oral hygiene school in the UK.
During the Directorship of Professor Frank Wilson (1950–1959) a full department range was established at the Eastman, including children’s, oral surgery, radiography and prosthetics. The Directorship of Sir Robert Bradlaw (1959–1970) saw the Eastman’s teaching concept altered, with MSc courses of the University of London being introduced. In 1988 the Eastman moved to the old Royal Free buildings on Gray's Inn Road and in 1992 the Eastman's name was changed to the Eastman Dental Institute (EDI).
In October 1995 the Institute established a joint project with the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory to develop ultraviolet lasers to replace conventional dental drills. The Institute merged with University College London in 1999, becoming the UCL Eastman Dental Institute, and in 2002 it won the Queens Award for Higher Education.
The Institute achieved top scores of 5 in both the 1996 and 2001 Research Assessment Exercises and the Institute's research programme is one of only two oral themes to achieve national funding within an NHS Biomedical Research Centre, as part of the UCLH/UCL Biomedical Research Centre. Both the Institute and the Eastman Dental Hospital are part of UCL Partners, the largest academic health science centre in Europe.
Research at the Institute is currently represented by three interdisciplinary departments:
- Postgraduate Certificate in Advanced Aesthetic Dentistry
- Postgraduate Certificate in Special Care Dentistry
- Postgraduate Diploma in Endodontic Practice
- Postgraduate Diploma in Implant Dentistry
- MSc in Conservative Dentistry
- MSc in Endodontics
- MSc in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- MSc in Oral Medicine
- MSc in Paediatric Dentistry
- MSc in Restorative Dental Practice
- MSc in Special Care Dentistry
- MClinDent in Endodontology
- MClinDent in Oral Surgery
- MClinDent in Orthodontics
- MClinDent in Periodontology
- MClinDent in Prosthodontics
- DDent in Paediatric Dentistry
- Clinical Experience MPhil/PhD
The Institute offers an MSc in Dental Public Health through the UCL Department of Epidemiology and Public Health.
The Institute also offers a large number of CPD short courses.
All staff and students of the Institute, UCL and the Eastman Dental Hospital are entitled to full membership of the library.
- "Academic Departments by Faculty". University College London. Retrieved 17 September 2010.
- "Introduction". UCL Eastman Dental Institute. Retrieved 16 September 2010.
- N. B. Harte, The University of London, 1836-1986: an illustrated history
- Nick Black, Walking London's medical history
- "The Eastman at 60 — a history of the UCL Eastman Dental Institute". British Dental Journal 203: 551–554. 2007. doi:10.1038/bdj.2007.1040.
- "Welcome to Eastman CPD". UCL Eastman Dental Institute. Retrieved 16 September 2010.
- "A history of EDI". UCL Eastman Dental Institute. Retrieved 16 September 2010.
- The Oxford companion to medicine 1, 1986,
soon after the Second World War the Postgraduate Dental Institute was established in London at the Eastman Dental Hospital
- Eastman Dental Institute, Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education, April 1999
- "Drill thrills to come". Times Higher Education. 6 October 1995. Retrieved 26 April 2012.
- "The merger and the man". The Guardian. 22 October 2002. Retrieved 26 April 2012.
- "The Eastman Celebrating 60 years". UCL Eastman Dental Institute. Retrieved 16 September 2010.
- "About us". UCL Partners. Retrieved 16 September 2010.
- "UCL Eastman Dental Institute - Research". UCL Eastman Dental Institute. Retrieved 20 September 2012.
- http://www.ucl.ac.uk/eastman/education. Retrieved 7 January 2014. Missing or empty
- http://www.ucl.ac.uk/eastman/research. Retrieved 7 January 2014. Missing or empty
- "Clinical Doctorate Programmes". UCL Eastman Dental Institute. Retrieved 16 September 2010.
- http://www.ucl.ac.uk/eastman/cpd. Retrieved 7 January 2014. Missing or empty
- Gale, Cengage; Miskelly, Matthew (2010). Directory of special libraries and information centers, Volume 1, Part 5. Gale Research Co. p. 2827.
- "Eastman Library". UCL Eastman Dental Institute. Retrieved 16 September 2010.
- "Eastman Library Guide". UCL Eastman Dental Institute. Retrieved 16 September 2010.
- UCL Eastman Dental Institute
- UCL School of Life and Medical Sciences
- University College London
- Eastman Dental Hospital