University Park Airport
|University Park Airport|
|Owner||Pennsylvania State University|
|Location||State College, Pennsylvania|
|Elevation AMSL||1,239 ft / 377.6 m|
University Park Airport (IATA: SCE, ICAO: KUNV, FAA LID: UNV) is a public airport located in Benner Township, Centre County, Pennsylvania. The airport serves the towns of State College and Bellefonte, and the surrounding area. The airport is owned by The Pennsylvania State University, but the terminal building and parking areas are owned and operated by the Centre County Airport Authority. It is served by several regional airlines, connecting to hubs in the Northeast and Midwest. Services at the airport include a fixed base operator (FBO), fuel, flight planning services, aircraft repair, and hangar rental. Amenities include a snack bar in the terminal building, a pilot lounge, and conference rooms. Taxi and limousine services, and car rentals are also available.
Starting in the 1950s, private pilots in the area had constructed a small airport on land leased from Penn State, just north of State College. Penn State assumed the lease and assets of the airport in 1972. The Centre County Airport Authority was created to manage the development of the airport. A permanent passenger terminal was built in 1985. A new passenger terminal was completed in 1993, and cargo operations moved to the original terminal building. The airport underwent a runway expansion project in 1997, and the main runway was lengthened to 6,701 ft (2,042 m). A new general aviation hangar was built in 2001.
Construction on the airport's new control tower began on January 8, 2010 and was completed in early August 2011. The Airport Traffic Control Tower (ATCT) went operational on September 1, 2011 and is operated by Midwest Air Traffic Control under the Federal Contract Tower Program.
In 2011, there were 144,054 enplanements according to the U.S. Department of Transportation making University Park Airport the 6th busiest airport in Pennsylvania.
On February 17, 2014, Delta Airlines announced nonstop service to Hartsfield–Jackson Atlanta International Airport starting on June 7, 2014. Flights will be initially offered Saturdays during the summer months (June through August) only.
Airlines and destinations
Seasonal: Atlanta 
|United Express||Chicago-O'Hare, Washington-Dulles|
|US Airways Express||Philadelphia|
|FedEx Feeder operated by Wiggins Airways||Pittsburgh|
- Comprehensive Plan of the Nittany Valley Region Center County September 16, 2004, retrieved April 6, 2006
- An Illustrated History of Penn State Michael Bezilla 1985, retrieved April 6, 2006
- University Park Airport Receives $3.8 Million Federal Grant The Business Journal August 30, 2004, retrieved April 6, 2006
- Poole Anderson Construction – PSU 2002, retrieved April 6, 2006
- Construction Begins On University Park Airport Control Tower WTAJ TV January 2010, retrieved February 20, 2010
- University Park Airport (official web site)
- Pennsylvania Bureau of Aviation: University Park Airport
- Resources for this airport: