1882 in art
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Events from the year 1882 in art.
- April 9 – English poet and artist Dante Gabriel Rossetti dies aged 53 of Bright's disease at Birchington-on-Sea in the care of his brother, the critic William Michael Rossetti.
- March 1 – Seventh Impressionist exhibition in Paris opens at 251 rue Saint-Honoré.
- August – Vincent van Gogh starts painting in oil on the sea coast at Scheveningen, sponsored by his brother Theo.
- Walter Langley moves to Newlyn on the coast of Cornwall, becoming the first resident artist of the Newlyn School.
- The gallery of botanical illustrations made and donated by Marianne North is opened at the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, the first and only permanent solo exhibition by a female artist in Britain.
- The Royal Manchester Institution transfers its galleries and collections to Manchester Corporation (England) as Manchester Art Gallery.
- Edward Burne-Jones – The Mill (1870–82; Victoria and Albert Museum, London)
- Edward Burne-Jones and William Morris – David's Charge to Solomon (stained-glass window, Trinity Church, Boston, Massachusetts)
- Gustave Caillebotte
- Paul Cézanne – Still Life With Compotier
- William Merritt Chase
- In the Studio
- Pierre Puvis de Chavannes – The Happy Land
- Henry Treffry Dunn – Rossetti and Watts-Dunton at 16 Cheyne Walk
- Frank Duveneck – Mary Cabot Wheelwright
- Nikolai Ge – Leo Tolstoy
- Atkinson Grimshaw – Under the Moonbeams
- William Halsall – Mayflower in Plymouth Harbor
- William Henry Holmes – Panorama from Point Sublime, looking East; The Grand Cañon at the foot of the Toroweap and The Temples and Towers of the Virgen (illustrations to Clarence Dutton's Tertiary History of the Grand Cañon District published by the United States Geological Survey)
- Christian Krohg – Portrait of the Swedish Painter Karl Nordström
- P. S. Krøyer – Frederikke Tuxen
- Benjamin Williams Leader
- In the evening it shall be light
- Sunshine after Rain
- Wilhelm Leibl – Three Women in Church (Kunsthalle, Hamburg)
- Konstantin Makovsky – Portrait of the Artist's Children
- Édouard Manet – A Bar at the Folies-Bergère
- Albert Joseph Moore – Dreamers
- Frank O'Meara – Reverie
- John Singer Sargent
- Joseph-Noël Sylvestre – The Gaul Ducar decapitates the Roman general Flaminus at the Battle of Trasimene
- James Tissot – The Garden Bench
- Vincent van Gogh
- Viktor Vasnetsov – Sergius of Radonezh (icon for church at Abramtsevo Colony)
- January 6 – Aleksandra Ekster, Russian-Ukrainian painter (Cubo-Futurist, Suprematist, Constructivist) and designer (died 1949)
- January 15 – Daniel Vázquez Díaz, Spanish painter (died 1969)
- February 12 – Ljubomir Ivanović, Serbian painter (died 1945)
- April 16 – André Edouard Marty, French artist (died 1974)
- May 13 – Georges Braque, French painter and sculptor (died 1963)
- June 1 – Signe Hammarsten-Jansson, Swedish graphic artist (died 1970)
- June 4 – John Bauer, Swedish illustrator (died 1918)
- June 21 – Rockwell Kent, American painter, printmaker, illustrator and writer (died 1971)
- July 22 – Edward Hopper, American painter and printmaker (died 1967)
- August 14 – Gisela Richter, English archaeologist and art historian (died 1972)
- August – George Bellows, American painter (died 1925)
- October 3
- October 10 – Lazar Drljača, Serbian painter (died 1970)
- October 19 – Umberto Boccioni, Italian Futurist painter and sculptor (died 1916)
- November 18 – Wyndham Lewis, Nova Scotia-born English Vorticist painter and writer (died 1957)
- December 28 – Lili Elbe, born Einar Magnus Andreas Wegener, Danish-born artist (died 1931)
- January 14 – Timothy H. O'Sullivan, American Civil War photographer (born 1840)
- January 20
- March 30 – Henri Lehmann, German-born French painter (born 1814)
- April 10 – Dante Gabriel Rossetti, English Pre-Raphaelite painter (born 1828)
- June 3 – Christian Wilberg, German painter (born 1839)
- June 20 – Auguste François Biard, French genre painter (born 1799)
- July 8 – Hablot Knight Browne ("Phiz"), English illustrator (born 1815)
- August 14 – Niels Christian Kierkegaard, Danish draftsman and lithographer (born 1806)
- August 29 – Johann Halbig, German sculptor (born 1814)
- September 22 – Katarina Ivanović, Serbian painter (born 1811)
- September 23 – John Wharlton Bunney, English topographical painter (born 1828)
- October 25 – Emma Stebbins, American sculptor (born 1815)
- November 7 – Julius Hübner, German genre painter (born 1806)
- Letter of W. M. Rossetti to his wife Lucy. Peattie, Roger W., ed. (1990). Selected Letters of William Michael Rossetti. Pennsylvania State University. p. 413.
- "Impressionist Exhibitions in Paris (1874-86)". Encyclopedia of Art History. Retrieved 2015-06-17.
- "The Newlyn School (c.1880 - c.1940)". Penzance: Penlee House Gallery & Museum. Retrieved 2011-03-10.
- This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). "North, Marianne". Encyclopædia Britannica (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press.
- "Marianne North Gallery". Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. Archived from the original on 2012-08-25. Retrieved 2012-10-21.