2009 FIFA World Player of the Year
The 2009 FIFA World Player of the Year awards took place on 21 December 2009 at the Kongresshaus Zürich, Zürich, Switzerland. Shortlists of 23 men and 10 women were announced on 30 October 2009. The final five contenders for this year’s FIFA World Player of the Year and FIFA Women’s World Player of the Year awards were announced on 7 December 2009. Lionel Messi was announced as the World Player of the Year with a record points total.
|2||Cristiano Ronaldo||352|| Manchester United
|9||Samuel Eto'o||54|| Barcelona
|10||Wayne Rooney||45||Manchester United|
|1||Marta||833|| Los Angeles Sol
|3||Kelly Smith||252||Boston Breakers|
|4||Cristiane||239|| Chicago Red Stars
Shortlist of 10 players
- Nadine Angerer
- Sonia Bompastor
- Inka Grings
- Mana Iwabuchi
- Simone Laudehr
- Birgit Prinz
- Kelly Smith
- Abby Wambach
- "Shortlists for FIFA awards revealed". FIFA.com. Fédération Internationale de Football Association. 30 October 2009. Archived from the original on 2 November 2009. Retrieved 3 November 2009.
- "Final five for FIFA awards revealed". FIFA.com. Fédération Internationale de Football Association. 7 December 2009. Archived from the original on 13 December 2009. Retrieved 8 December 2009.
- "Messi takes first award, Marta obtains record-breaking fourth crown". FIFA.com. 21 December 2009. Retrieved 22 February 2010.
- "FIFA Awards – World Player of the Year - Top 10". RSSSF. Archived from the original on 12 January 2016. Retrieved 31 March 2016.
- "FIFA Awards – Women Player of the Year - Top 12". RSSSF. Archived from the original on 12 January 2016. Retrieved 31 March 2016.