Abū Ja'far al-Khāzin
Abu Jafar Muhammad ibn Hasan Khazini (Persian: ابوجعفر خازن خراسانی; 900–971), also called Al-Khazin, was an Iranian Muslim astronomer and mathematician from Khorasan. He worked on both astronomy and number theory.
Al-Khazin was one of the scientists brought to the court in Ray, Iran by the ruler of the Buyid dynasty, Adhad ad-Dowleh, who ruled from 949 to 983 AD. In 959/960 Khazini was required by the Vizier of Ray, who was appointed by ad-Dowleh, to measure the obliquity of the ecliptic.
One of Al-Khazin's works Zij al-Safa'ih ("Tables of the disks of the astrolabe") was described by his successors[who?] as the best work in the field and they make many references to it. The work describes some astronomical instruments, in particular an astrolabe fitted with plates inscribed with tables and a commentary on the use of these. A copy of this instrument was made, but it vanished in Germany at the time of World War II. A photograph of this copy was taken and examined in D.A. King's New light on the Zij al-Safa'ih of Abu Ja'far al-Khazin, Centaurus 23 (2) (1979/80), 105-117.
- Selin, Helaine (2008). Encyclopaedia of the history of science, technology, and medicine in non-western cultures. Berlin New York: Springer. p. 275. ISBN 978-1-4020-4960-6.
A newly discovered manuscript (not yet available for research) contains a treatise by the tenth century Iranian astronomer Abū Ja˓far al-Khāzin describing an equatorium called Zīj al-Safāīh. (the Zīj of Plates).
- O'Connor, John J.; Robertson, Edmund F., "Abu Jafar Muhammad ibn al-Hasan Al-Khwarizmi", MacTutor History of Mathematics archive, University of St Andrews.
- Rashed, Roshdi (1996). Les Mathématiques Infinitésimales du IXe au XIe Siècle 1: Fondateurs et commentateurs: Banū Mūsā, Ibn Qurra, Ibn Sīnān, al-Khāzin, al-Qūhī, Ibn al-Samḥ, Ibn Hūd. London. Reviews: Seyyed Hossein Nasr (1998) in Isis 89 (1) pp. 112-113; Charles Burnett (1998) in Bulletin of the School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London 61 (2) p. 406.
- Calvo, Emilia (2007). "Khāzin: Abū Jaʿfar Muḥammad ibn al‐Ḥusayn al‐Khāzin al‐Khurāsānī". In Thomas Hockey, et al.. The Biographical Encyclopedia of Astronomers. New York: Springer. pp. 628–9. ISBN 978-0-387-31022-0. (PDF version)
- Dold-Samplonius, Yvonne (2008) [1970–1980]. "Al-Khāzin, Abū Ja'far Muḥammad Ibn Al-Ḥasan Al-Khurāsānī". Complete Dictionary of Scientific Biography. Encyclopedia.com.