|Alma mater||Christ Nagar School, Trivandrum College of Wooster, Ohio|
Abhirami (pronunciation (help·info)) (born Divya Gopikumar) is an Indian actress and television host. She has acted in Malayalam, Tamil, Telugu and Kannada films. Her career, which started in 1995, was interrupted in 2004 when her family moved to the United States. She made a comeback in 2014.
Early life and education
She was born as Divya in a Tamil speaking family to Gopikumar and Pushpa in Kerala. She grew up there as her parents were both bank officials settled in Trivandrum. She attended Christ Nagar English High School and Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan, in Trivandrum and did predegree from Mar Ivanios College, before graduating in Psychology and Communications from the College of Wooster in Ohio.
Abhirami made her debut in director Adoor Gopalakrishnan's film Kathapurushan. While in college, Abhirami worked as a TV anchor for the program Top Ten which aired on Asianet Channel, which according to Abhirami was "quite popular" and got her a film offer. She also appeared in the 100-episode Malayalam serial Akshaya Pathram (Malayalam: അക്ഷയപാത്രം), directed by Sreekumaran Thampi. She changed her screen name to Abhirami, the character name of the heroine of the film Guna, being "obsessed with the role and the name".
She had a small role in the Malayalam film Pathram in 1999 and in the series Mercara directed by Jude Attipetty. Later she acted in the films Millennium Stars, Njangal Santhushtaranu, and Sradha before shifting to Tamil cinema. Her first Tamil film was Vaanavil (2001) opposite Arjun, which was a "big hit" and was followed by Middle Class Madhavan and Samudhiram. A notable film in her career was Virumaandi, in which she appeared as a Tamil village girl from Madurai opposite Kamal Hassan. Besides Tamil and Malayalam, she has appeared in Telugu and Kannada films and was a notable Tollywood actress. In 2003, she appeared opposite Upendra in the film Raktha Kanneeru and opposite Shivrajkumar in Sri Ram. In 2004 she retired from the film industry and settled in the United States for her studies. She went on to work as the marketing director of an MNC there.
In 2013, Abhirami was the voice of Pooja Kumar in both parts of Kamal Haasan's Vishwaroopam and she went on to host Rishimoolam, a talk show on the Tamil television channel Puthuyugam. The following year, she returned to Malayalam films with Apothecary, in which she played the role of a gynaecologist. She also appeared in Ithu Thaanda Police playing the role of Sub-Inspector Arundhati Varma.
|1999||Pathram||Shilpa Mary Cherian|
|Middle Class Madhavan||Abhirami|
|Charlie Chaplin||Mythili Ramakrishnan|
|2002||Thank You Subbarao||Susi||Telugu|
|2014||Apothecary||Dr. Nalini Nambiar||Malayalam|
|2015||36 Vayadhinile||Susan||Tamil||Special appearance|
|2016||Ithu Thaanda Police||Arundhati Varma||Malayalam|
|2018||Amar Akbar Anthony||Amar's mother||Telugu||Special appearance|
|2019||Charlie Chaplin 2||Mythili Ramakrishnan||Tamil|
|Aniyan Kunjum Thannalayathu||Chechi||Malayalam|
|2020||Marjara Oru Kallu Vacha Nuna||Chithira|
As Voice artist
- Njangal Santhushtaranu (1999) for Seena Antony
- Vishwaroopam (2013) for Pooja Kumar
- Uttama Villain (2015) for Pooja Kumar
- Vishwaroopam II (2018) for Pooja Kumar
- Top Ten, anchor of musical program (Asianet)
- Akshaya Pathram, serial (Asianet)
- Annie , Telefilm (Kairali TV)
- Rishimoolam, host (Puthuyugam)
- Made For Each Other, host (Mazhavil Manorama)
- "A chat with Abhirami". The Hindu. 14 May 2003. Retrieved 2 June 2015.
- "Welcome to". Sify.com. Archived from the original on 2 October 2017. Retrieved 2 June 2015.
- "Abhirami makes a bold reentry into tinseltown - The Times of India". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 10 February 2014. Retrieved 2 June 2015.
- "അഭിരാമി തിരിച്ചുവരാന്കാരണം കമലഹാസനാണ്". Mangalam.com. Archived from the original on 7 June 2015. Retrieved 2 June 2015.
- "Abhirami on acting in Kamal Haasan's Sandhiyar". Indiaabroad.rediff.com. Archived from the original on 15 July 2011. Retrieved 5 August 2012.
- "Welcome To". Sify.com. Archived from the original on 12 September 2015. Retrieved 2 June 2015.
- "Abhirami gets a new Telugu film". Music India Online. 31 May 2008. Archived from the original on 28 June 2008.
- "Telugu cinema Review - Rakta Kanneeru - Upendra, Abhirami, Ramya Krishna". Idlebrain.com. 27 February 2004. Retrieved 5 August 2012.
- "Mangalam Varika 10-Mar-2014". mangalam.com. Retrieved 11 March 2014.
- "Abhirami has dubbed the voice for Pooja Kumar in Vishwaroopam aka Viswaroopam". Behindwoods.com. 24 September 2013. Retrieved 2 June 2015.
- Jeyanthan, R. C. (8 December 2013). "அறிவும் அழகுதான்". The Hindu (in Tamil). Retrieved 3 December 2015.
- "Abhirami back to films". 10 February 2014. Archived from the original on 11 March 2014.
- Nita Sathyendran (8 August 2014). "Ace act". The Hindu. Retrieved 2 June 2015.
- "വിവാഹം ആരെയും അറിയിക്കാതെ..." Mangalam.com. 10 March 2014. Archived from the original on 31 May 2015. Retrieved 2 June 2015.