|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Akhaura Railway Station
|• Municipal Mayor||Takjil Khalifa Kajal|
|• Upazila Chairman||Muslem Uddin|
|• Total||99.28 km2 (38.33 sq mi)|
|• Density||1,100/km2 (2,900/sq mi)|
|Time zone||BST (UTC+6)|
Akhaura (Bengali: আখাউড়া ) is an Upazila of Brahmanbaria District, a district of Chittagong, Bangladesh. Akhaura Upazila, with an area of 99.28 km2. The main river in the surrounding area is the Titas River. It played an important historical role during both World War II and Liberation War of Bangladesh.
According to the 2011 District Statistics Report for Brahmanbaria, Akhaura has a population of 145,215. Males constitute approximately 70,000 of the population, and females 75,000. The majority of the population (95.2%) are Muslim with a minority (5.8%) following Hinduism. This upazila has a literacy rate of 52.7%. 
Points of interest
- Kharampur Mazar Sharif, the mausoleum of Hazrat Syed Ahmad Gechhudaraj (R), is a pilgrimage site for devotees.
In year 2013-14, Bangladesh exported TK 2.26 billion through the Akhaura Land Port to India.
- Udin, Mohammad Mofiz (2012). "Akhaura Upazila". In Islam, Sirajul; Jamal, Ahmed A. Banglapedia: National Encyclopedia of Bangladesh (Second ed.). Asiatic Society of Bangladesh.
- http://www.bbs.gov.bd/WebTestApplication/userfiles/Image/District%20Statistics/B_Baria.pd, Page: 16-17
- "Agartala-Akhaura railway link to connect India and Bangladesh; will be completed by 2017 - The Economic Times".
- "India approves new railway link with Bangladesh". TwoCircles.net. 21 September 2011.
- "No export, import at Akhaura port on July 25, 26".