Al-Ain Region, Abu Dhabi
Al Ain Region
|Country||United Arab Emirates|
|• Type||Absolute monarchy|
|• Emir||Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan|
|• Ruler's Representative of the Eastern Region of the Emirate of Abu Dhabi||Tahnoun bin Mohammed Al Nahyan|
|Time zone||UTC+4 (UAE standard time)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+4|
The Eastern Region (Arabic: ٱلْمِنْطَقَة ٱلشَّرْقِيَّة, romanized: Al-Minṭaqah ash-Sharqiyyah, since March 2017 officially renamed by Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan to Al Ain Region (Arabic: مِنْطَقَة ٱلْعَيْن, romanized: Minṭaqat al-ʿAyn)) is one of three Municipal Regions in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi. It forms the southeastern part of the United Arab Emirates. Its main settlement is the city of Al Ain, located on the country's border with Oman, about 160 km (99 mi) from the city of Abu Dhabi, the capital of the Emirate and country. Compared to the Western Region, it is also a rather remote region of the Emirate, but smaller by area, and is not known to hold reserves of gas or petroleum, but is agriculturally important.
History and prehistory
The city of Al-Ain, part of a historical region which also includes the adjacent Omani town of Al-Buraimi, is noted for its forts, oases, aflāj (underground water channels), and archaeological sites such as those of Hili and Rumailah. Sites outside the city include Jebel Hafeet and Al-A'ankah Fort. Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan had been the Ruler's Representative in this region, before becoming the Ruler of Abu Dhabi and President of the United Arab Emirates.
Demographics and settlements
As of 2009, the population of the region was estimated at 890,000.
Aside from the main city, there are about 20 settlements which are governed by the region's municipal body, that is Al Ain Municipality. Most of them are estimated to have populations of no more than 10,000. They include:
- Al-Faqa' (partly in the Emirate of Dubai, on the road from Al-Ain to Dubai)
- Al-Shwaib (on the road to Al Madam in the Emirate of Sharjah)
- Abu Dhabi Region
- Al Ain International Airport
- Ash Sharqiyah (disambiguation)
- Lake Zakher
- List of tourist attractions in the United Arab Emirates
- Wildlife of the United Arab Emirates
- "Khalifa renames Eastern and Western Regions". WAM. Gulf News. 2017-03-16. Retrieved 2017-03-18.
- Statistical Yearbook of Abu Dhabi 2018 (pdf), Statistics Centre – Abu Dhabi, 2018, p. 171, retrieved 2019-05-15
- "Sheikh Khalifa renames Abu Dhabi regions". The National. 2017-03-16. Retrieved 2018-11-04.
- Lieth, Helmut; Al Masoom, A. A., eds. (2012-12-06). "Reclamation potentials of saline degraded lands in Abu Dhabi eastern region using high salinity-tolerant woody plants and some salt marsh species". Towards the rational use of high salinity tolerant plants: Vol 2: Agriculture and forestry under marginal soil water conditions. 2: Agriculture and forestry under marginal soil water conditions. Springer Science+Business Media. pp. 271–274. ISBN 9-4011-1860-4.
- "Al Ain". The Report Abu Dhabi 2010. Oxford Business Group. 2010. pp. 171–176. ISBN 978-1-9070-6521-7.
- "Regional location maps (eastern and western regions of Abu Dhabi emirate)". Ask Explorer. Retrieved 2019-03-22.
- Unnikrishnan, Deepthi (2009-12-11). "Abu Dhabi's Eastern Region: few people, bountiful nature". The National. Retrieved 2018-11-04.
- The Report Abu Dhabi 2016. Oxford Business Group. 2016-05-09. pp. 14–16. ISBN 978-1-9100-6858-8.
- Al-Hosani, Hamad Ali (2012). The Political Thought of Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan (PhD Thesis) (Thesis). Durham University. Archived (PDF) from the original on 5 February 2017. Retrieved 15 April 2016.
- Salama, Samir (2011-12-30). "Al Ain bears evidence of a culture's ability to adapt". Gulf News. Retrieved 2018-08-07.
- Potts, Daniel T.; Nābūdah, Ḥasan Muḥammad; Hellyer, Peter (2003). Archaeology of the United Arab Emirates. London: Trident Press. pp. 174–177. ISBN 1-9007-2488-X. OCLC 54405078.
- "Cultural Sites of Al Ain (Hafit, Hili, Bidaa Bint Saud and Oases Areas)". UNESCO World Heritage Centre. Retrieved 2018-07-16.
- "Al Ain Forts and Castles". Abu Dhabi Digital Government. 2017-03-19. Retrieved 2018-11-03.
- El Reyes, Dr. Abdulla, ed. (December 2014). Liwa Journal of the National Archives (PDF). United Arab Emirates: Emirati National Archives. Retrieved 5 February 2017.
- "Ruler's Representative Court - Eastern Region (RRCER)". Abu Dhabi Digital Government. Retrieved 2018-11-03.
- "Eastern Region Bus Services", Department of Transport, Government of Abu Dhabi, retrieved 2018-11-04
- "Dubai: Crime and accidents down in Al Faqa". Gulf News. 2014-04-14. Retrieved 2018-09-09.
- "Population Bulletin" (PDF). Dubai Statistics Center, Government of Dubai. 2015.
- "Dubai-Al Ain Road renamed". WAM. Al Ain: Gulf News. 2018-11-02. Retrieved 2018-11-04.
- Al Wasmi, Naser (2018-05-16). "Special report: Al Ain farm tackles food and water security by pairing fish with watermelons". The National. Retrieved 2019-05-15.