Almost Like Being in Love
|This article needs additional or better citations for verification. (February 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|"Almost Like Being in Love"|
|Lyricist(s)||Alan Jay Lerner|
There were three hit versions of the song in the United States in 1947. Frank Sinatra's version was the highest charting at #20. Mildred Bailey and Mary Martin both charted with the song at #21 that year.
Nat King Cole recorded more than one version of the song, including a later version that was used as the closing song in the 1993 movie Groundhog Day which starred Bill Murray. Cole's version, in the key of G major like the original, features a ii–V–I turnaround (2-5-1) in G, a pair of similar 2-5-1 sequences in E major and D major for the bridge, after which it raises the refrain a half-step with a 2-5-1 in A flat major.
Frank Sinatra rerecorded the song for his 1961 album Come Swing With Me; this is the version generally heard today.
The song was revived in a downbeat ballad version by singer Michael Johnson (#32, 1978). It was also made popular by British singing sensation Shirley Bassey. Like Judy Garland, Bassey performs this song as a medley with the song, This Can't Be Love.
Other musicians who have recorded "Almost Like Being in Love" include:
- Lester Young – Lester Young with the Oscar Peterson Trio (1952)
- Sonny Rollins and the Modern Jazz Quartet – Sonny Rollins with the Modern Jazz Quartet (1953)
- Nat King Cole – Sings For Two In Love (1955)
- Red Garland – Red Garland's Piano (1957)
- Della Reese - A Date With Della Reese At Mr. Kelly's In Chicago (1958)
- Cliff Richard (1960)
- Frank Sinatra – Come Swing With Me (1961)
- Stan Kenton and His Orchestra – Adventures in Standards (1961 – released 1975)
- In 1961, Judy Garland performed the song as a medley with "This Can't Be Love" at her Judy at Carnegie Hall concert
- Ella Fitzgerald – Ella Sings Broadway (1963)
- Johnny Hartman – Unforgettable Songs (1966)
- Dean Martin (1973)
- Melanie Safka – Sunset and Other Beginnings (1975)
- Marti Webb - Performance (1989)
- Natalie Cole – Unforgettable... with Love (1991)
- Anthony Warlow – Back In The Swing (1993)
- Woody Allen as Z-4195 from Antz (1998, short rendition)
- Rufus Wainwright – Rufus Does Judy at Carnegie Hall (2007)
- Jermaine Jackson – I Wish You Love (2012)
- Vov Dylan and Glenn Amer - Cocktail Classics (2016)
- Steve Rochinski - Otherwise (2000) http://www.allmusic.com/album/otherwise-mw0000657266
- Joel Whitburn (1986). Pop Memories 1890–1954. Record Research Inc. p. 470. ISBN 0-89820-083-0.
- Jasen, David A. (2013). A Century of American Popular Music. Taylor & Francis. p. 9. ISBN 978-1-135-35271-4.
- "Cocktail Classics (feat. Glenn Amer) by Vov Dylan on Apple Music". iTunes. Retrieved 2017-01-27.