|Music by||Chad Cannon|
|Edited by||Lindsay Utz|
American Factory (美国工厂) is a 2019 American documentary film directed by Steven Bognar and Julia Reichert, about Chinese company Fuyao’s factory in Moraine, a suburb of Dayton, Ohio, that occupies Moraine Assembly, a shuttered General Motors plant. The movie had its festival premiere at the 2019 Sundance Film Festival. It is distributed by Netflix and is the first film distributed by Barack Obama and Michelle Obama's production company, Higher Ground Productions.
After the film’s screening at Sundance, the film garnered positive reviews. On Rotten Tomatoes the film has an approval rating of 96% based on reviews from 55 critics, with an average of 8.51/10. The site's consensus reads: "American Factory takes a thoughtful – and troubling – look at the dynamic between workers and employers in the 21st-century globalized economy." On Metacritic it has a weighted average score of 86 out of 100 based on 20 critics, indicating "universal acclaim".
David Edelstein of New York Magazine wrote: "It’s a great, expansive, deeply humanist work, angry but empathetic to its core. It gestures toward the end of the working world we know – and to the rise of the machines." Eric Kohn at IndieWire wrote that it's "A fascinating tragicomedy about the incompatibility of American and Chinese industries."
- Felming Jr., Mike (February 1, 2019). "Netflix Acquiring Sundance Documentary 'American Factory'". Deadline Hollywood.
- "'American Factory': When A Chinese Company Takes Over An Ohio Factory". NPR. 2019-08-21.
- "American Factory". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved February 11, 2019.
- "American Factory". Metacritic. Retrieved August 29, 2019.
- David Edelstein (August 23, 2019). "The Obamas' Netflix Doc American Factory Gestures Toward the End of the Working World". Vulture.com. New York Magazine.
- Kohn, Eric (January 26, 2019). "American Factory' Review: A Cross-Cultural Working-Class Doc, Via 'The Office' – Sundance". IndieWire.
- "2019 film awards announced!". RiverRun International Film Festival. 2019-04-16. Retrieved 2019-04-17.