Ancient Warriors (TV series)
Ancient Warriors is a 1994 20-part documentary series from the Discovery Channel.
Each half-hour episode looks at a major fighting people or force and charts the reasons for their rise to dominance and subsequent fall. The show explores the motivations of ancient soldiers, as well as how they lived, fought, trained, died, and changed the world. It also uses battle re-enactments and computer graphics to demonstrate military strategy.
- The Assyrians: Masters of War
- The Celts
- The Normans
- The Legions of Rome
- The Macedonians
- Soldiers of the Pharaoh
- The Spartans
- The Janissaries: An Army of Slaves
- The Huns
- The Knights Templar
- The Vikings
- The Highlanders
- The Irish: Warriors of the Emerald Isle
- The Maurya: Warriors of the Elephant
- The Aztecs
- The Samurai
- The Shaolin: Masters of Kung Fu
- The Hawaiians: Warriors of Paradise
- The Ninja: Warriors of the Night
- The Sioux: Warriors of the Plains
A DVD set of the series has been released:
- Volume I
The Assyrians, Celts, Normans, Legions of Rome, Macedonians, Soldiers of the Pharaoh, Spartans.
- Volume II
Janissaries, Huns, Knights Templar, Vikings, Highlanders, Irish Warriors, Maurya Warriors of the Elephant.
- Volume III
Aztecs, Samurai, Shaolin Monks, Hawaiians, Ninja, Sioux.
Note: These DVD volumes are currently available only in PAL format, not NTSC.
- Ancient Warriors http://tv.nytimes.com/show/153384/Ancient-Warriors/overview Retrieved 2009-07-26.