Andong Kim clan
The Andong Kim clan (Hangul: 안동 김씨, Hanja: 安東 金氏) refers to two Korean clans. They were prominent yangban families during Korea's Joseon Dynasty originating from Andong, North Gyeongsang province, during the Goryeo Dynasty. The clans produced many individuals who passed the gwageo, and 3 Queen Consorts during the Joseon Dynasty, Queen Sunwon, Queen Hyohyeon, and Queen Cheorin. Both clans derive from the Gyeongju Kim clan.
Andong Kim clan (Old)
The Old Andong Kim clan (구 안동 김씨, 舊 安東 金氏) was founded during the Goryeo Dynasty by Sukseung, the grandson of Gyeongsun of Silla. In 2015, the Old Kim clan of Andong found the number of members to be at 789,790 individuals.
Andong Kim clan (New)
Kim Seon-pyung (김선평, 金宣平), the founder of New Andong Kim clan (신 안동 김씨, 新 安東 金氏) was one of the founding contributors of the Goryeo Dynasty. He was originally a castellan of Andong province. Later, he received a new surname from Taejo of Goryeo thanks to his contribution to the founding of the new dynasty. In 2015, the number of members of the New Andong Kim clan amounted to 47,702 individuals.
Prominent individuals from the Old Andong Kim clan
- Kim Suk-seung (grandson of Gyeongsun of Silla)
- Royal Noble Consort Myeong (Taejong of Joseon’s concubine)
- Crown Princess Hwi (Munjong of Joseon’s first wife)
- Kim Si-min (general during Joseon Dynasty)
- Kim Ja-jeom (scholar and politician during Joseon Dynasty)
- Kim Gu (politician and independence activist during the 20th century)
- Kim Jil (scholar and politician during early Joseon Dynasty)