Hurley performing with Fall Out Boy in 2014
|Birth name||Andrew John Hurley|
|Born||May 31, 1980|
|Origin||Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin, U.S.|
Andrew John Hurley (born May 31, 1980) is an American musician. He is the drummer for the rock band Fall Out Boy. Prior to Fall Out Boy, Hurley played in several hardcore punk bands. He joined Fall Out Boy as the full-time drummer in 2003 and was in the band's lineup until its hiatus in 2009. Following that, he formed the heavy metal supergroup The Damned Things with Fall Out Boy guitarist Joe Trohman; the group went on hiatus after its debut album, Ironiclast (2010), due to band members focusing on their original bands' new album cycles. Hurley moved on to hardcore punk band Enabler which released a debut album and toured in 2012. Fall Out Boy regrouped and announced a new album and tour on February 4, 2013. The band's fifth studio album, Save Rock and Roll, was released April 16, 2013, with the punk EP PAX AM Days announced on September 30 and was released on October 15 the same year. The band's sixth studio album American Beauty/American Psycho was released on January 16, 2015 and debuted at No. 1 on the US Billboard 200.
Hurley was born in Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin. He was brought up by his mother, who worked as a nurse; his father died when he was five. In middle school, his first instrument was the saxophone but in high school he switched to drums after his sister bought him the albums Ride the Lightning and Van Halen. Hurley attended Menomonee Falls High School and played percussion in bands, citing Dave Lombardo as his biggest influence when growing up and Metallica as his favourite band. Eventually, he simultaneously became interested in death metal and crossover thrash, and shortly afterward hardcore punk and metalcore bands such as Earth Crisis. After high school, he attended University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee, double-majoring in anthropology and history, while at the same time he was playing with three bands.
Personal life and views
Hurley is the only member of Fall Out Boy to remain straight edge. He has been vegan since he was 16. Hurley identifies himself as an anarcho-primitivist, explaining that this means he believes that humans are supposed to live the way they lived prior to 10,000 years ago. When asked about this in the February 2007 issue of Alternative Press, he said that his career contradicted his beliefs, but at the same time, he had to make a living.
Hurley played in heavy metal and hardcore punk bands including Racetraitor, Killtheslavemaster, Project Rocket, xFor Death or Gloryx, The Kill Pill, and Arma Angelus. In 1999, he was a guest drummer on Vegan Reich's "Jihad" EP.
Hurley joined Fall Out Boy in 2003 after the band's debut mini-LP Fall Out Boy's Evening Out With Your Girlfriend and recorded Take This to Your Grave (2003). Hurley had been friends with bassist Pete Wentz since he was 16, and he first filled in on a touring position as drummer for Fall Out Boy before joining the band as full-time drummer. Fall Out Boy is the fourth band Hurley has been in with Wentz. With Fall Out Boy, Hurley has achieved major commercial success and toured the world.
During Fall Out Boy's hiatus from 2009–2013, Hurley was the drummer for the heavy metal band The Damned Things, which featured members of Anthrax, Fall Out Boy and Every Time I Die and released debut album Ironiclast. He has also played in the Milwaukee hardcore band Enabler. It released a full album entitled All Hail The Void in Summer 2012. Hurley is also part of other rock bands.
In late 2012, Hurley began playing drums in Milwaukee-based straight edge hardcore band, FocusedXMinds. It was rumored that the return of Fall Out Boy would end his time with the band, but Hurley confirmed on Twitter on March 12 that "I am in it for life."
Fall Out Boy announced the end of their hiatus on February 4, 2013. Hurley drummed on their album Save Rock and Roll (2013) and toured worldwide, including during the Monumentour. Sixth studio album American Beauty/American Psycho was released to become the band's third Billboard 200 No. 1 album, debuting with 192,000 first week sales and 218,000 equivalent album units.
In 2016 Hurley started a vegan straight edge hardcore band called Sect composed of Chris Colohan (Cursed, Burning Love, Left for Dead and The Swarm) on vocals, James Chang (Catharsis, Undying) and Scott Crouse (Earth Crisis, Path of Resistance) on guitar, and Steve Hart (Day Of Suffering) on bass.
- Apar, Cory. "Andy Hurley: Biography". Allmusic. Retrieved 2009-11-06.
- "ARTIST SPOTLIGHT: ANDY HURLEY On Tour with Fall Out Boy in 2015" (video). Vicfirth.com. March 27, 2015. Event occurs at 1:17. Retrieved March 18, 2018.
- Zorgdrager, Bradley (November 24, 2017). "Andy Hurley Reveals Hardcore Beginnings of Fall Out Boy Riffs" (text and video). Exclaim!. Retrieved March 18, 2018.
- Olson, Drew (May 17, 2007). "Milwaukee native Hurley keeps the beat for Fall Out Boy", OnMilwaukee.com. Retrieved on 2007-05-19.
- Phillips, Bianca (October 25, 2007). "Not Gonna Fall Out". Memphis Flyer. Retrieved 2009-09-05.
- "Andy Hurley tweet on being vegan". Twitter. Archived from the original on October 6, 2013. Retrieved October 1, 2013.
- Downey, Ryan J. "Vegan Reich: Overview". AllMusic. Retrieved 2009-11-06.
- "Fuck City record label". Fc666.com. Retrieved 2011-10-18.
- "Fuck City: Music". Fcmerch.com. Retrieved 2011-10-18.
- Focused Minds [@FOCUSEDXMINDS] (30 September 2012). "We're excited to welcome our friends Andy (Earth Crisis, ex-Enabler) on drums and Matt Wes (ex-Noose) on bass. New LP in early 2013. 6131" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- andrew hurley [@hurleyxvx] (13 March 2013). "I didn't quit focused minds. I am in it for life" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "Interview: Fall Out Boy – Saving Rock And Roll (Part 2)". MusicFeeds.com. Music Feeds.
- "EXCLUSIVE! Fall Out Boy lights 'em up". onenation.LiveNation.com. Live Nation.
- Caulfield, Keith. "Fall Out Boy Scores Third No. 1 Album on Billboard 200". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved January 29, 2015.
- "Sect Breathes New Life into Vegan Straight Edge Hardcore with a Supercharged Debut - Noisey".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Fall Out Boy.|