Angolan nationality law
This article relies largely or entirely on a single source. (September 2013)
|Angolan Citizenship Act|
|Parliament of Angola|
|An Act relating to Angolan citizenship|
|Enacted by||Government of Angola|
|Status: Current legislation|
Angolan nationality law is the body of law concerning who is a citizen of Angola. The basis of Angolan nationality law is Lei no.13/91 da nacionalidade, de 11 de maio, Lei no.1/05 da nacionalidade, de 1 de julho, and Decreto no.31/07 dos registos de nascimentos, de 14 de maio.
Acquisition of Angolan citizenship
Any child who has at least one Angolan citizen parent has a right to Angolan citizenship from birth, regardless of the place of birth or the marital status of the parents.
The spouse of an Angolan citizen becomes an Angolan citizen after five years of marriage, regardless of sex. There is no requirement to reside in Angola.
A foreign national may apply for Angolan citizenship upon meeting the following conditions:
- 10 years residence in Angola;
- Assimilation into Angolan society;
- Good moral character;
- Possession of means of subsistence.
There is no requirement to renounce previous nationalities.
Loss of citizenship
Angolan citizenship acquired by birth may be revoked as a consequence of performing certain services for a foreign state. Angolan citizenship acquired by naturalisation may be revoked upon a finding the it was fraudulently acquired or upon conviction for crimes against the state. Those who have their citizenship revoked have a right to challenge the revocation in court.
- Manby, Bronwen. ""Citizenship Law in Africa: A Comparative Study"" (PDF). Open Society Institute, 2010. Retrieved 2013-07-02.
Laws in English
- Decree No. 31/07 of 14 May 2007, Birth Registration
- Law No. 1/05 of 1 July 2005, Nationality Law
- Law No. 13/1991 of 11 May 1991, Nationality Law
Laws in Portuguese
- Decreto n° 31/07 de 14 de maio 2007, Registo nascimento
- Lei n° 1/05 de 1 de julho 2005, Lei Da Nacionalidade
|This article relating to the law of Africa or of an African country is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Angola-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|