Archduchess Anna of Austria
|Anna of Austria|
|Duchess consort of Bavaria|
Archduchess Anna of Austria (1528–1590)
(Portrait by Jakob Seisenegger)
July 7, 1528|
Prague, Bohemia, Holy Roman Empire
|Died||October 16, 1590
Munich, Bavaria, Holy Roman Empire
|Spouse||Albert V, Duke of Bavaria|
|William V, Duke of Bavaria
Ferdinand of Bavaria
Ernest of Bavaria
|Father||Ferdinand I, Holy Roman Emperor|
|Mother||Anna of Bohemia and Hungary|
Anna was the third of fifteen children. Her siblings included: Elizabeth, Queen of Poland, Maximilian II, Holy Roman Emperor, Ferdinand II, Archduke of Austria, Catherine, Queen of Poland, Eleanor, Duchess of Mantua, Barbara, Duchess of Ferrara, Charles II, Archduke of Austria and Johanna, Duchess of Tuscany.
Anna finally married on July 4, 1546 in Regensburg at the age of 17, Duke Albert V, Duke of Bavaria, the brother of her first fiancé. This marriage was part of a web of alliances in which her uncle Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor hoped to secure Albert's support before embarking on the Schmalkaldic Wars. The wedding gift was 50,000 Guilder. The couple lived at the Trausnitz Castle in Landshut, until Albert became Duke.
Anna and Albert had great influence on the spiritual life in the Duchy, and enhanced the reputation of Munchen as a city of art, by founding several museums and the Bavarian State Library.
Anna and Albert were also patrons to the painter Hans Müelich and composer Orlando di Lasso. In 1552, Albert commissioned an inventory of the jewelry in the couple's possession. The resulting manuscript, still held by the Bavarian State Library, was the Jewel Book of the Duchess Anna of Bavaria ("Kleinodienbuch der Herzogin Anna von Bayern"), and contains 110 drawings by Hans Muelich.
- Karl (7 September 1547 – 7 December 1547)
- William V (29 September 1548– 7 February 1626)
- Ferdinand (20 January 1550 – 30 January 1608)
- Maria Anna (21 March 1551–29 April 1608) married Archduke Charles II of Austria
- Maximiliana Maria (4 July 1552 – 11 July 1614), died unmarried.
- Friedrich (26 July 1553 – 18 April 1554)
- Ernst (17 December 1554 – 17 February 1612), Archbishop of Cologne 
|Ancestors of Archduchess Anna of Austria|
- Ancestors of Anna of Habsburg
- Sutter Fichtner, Paula (April 1976). "Dynastic Marriage in Sixteenth-Century Habsburg Diplomacy and Statecraft: An Interdisciplinary Approach". The American Historical Review. 81 (2): 243–265 . JSTOR 1851170. doi:10.2307/1851170.
- Hans Mielich (1552). "Jewel Book of the Duchess Anna of Bavaria - Kleinodienbuch der Herzogin Anna von Bayern". World Digital Library. Retrieved 2014-06-21.
- Anna von Habsburg
Marie of Baden-Sponheim
|Duchess consort of Bavaria
Renata of Lorraine