Areas of the City of York
The City of York is a unitary authority of the United Kingdom. There are many distinct localities, suburbs and villages within the administrative area of the City. All areas in the City are in the YO postcode area, also known as the York postcode area.
York is an ancient English borough, and was one of the boroughs reformed by the Municipal Corporations Act 1835 to form a municipal borough. It gained the status of a county borough in 1889, under the Local Government Act 1888, and existed so until 1974, when, under the Local Government Act 1972, it became a non-metropolitan district in the county of North Yorkshire.
As a result of 1990s UK local government reform, York gained unitary status and saw a substantial alteration in its borders, taking in parts of Selby and Harrogate districts, and about half the population of the Ryedale district. The new boundary was imposed after central Government had rejected the former city council's own proposal.
Until the United Kingdom general election, 2010, most of York was covered by the City of York constituency of the Parliament of the United Kingdom, but the outer parts of the city and local council area fell within the Selby, Vale of York and Ryedale constituencies. For 2010, two new constituencies (York Central and York Outer) were created.
List of places in York
The individual areas of the City of York are all within the Unitary Authority area as defined by the Fifth Periodical Report, Volume 4, "Mapping for the Non-Metropolitan Counties and the Unitary Authorities as published by the Boundary Commission For England", specifically on pages 106–109. Population details are taken from the UK Census of 2001 and 2011. Some areas that have a population for 2001 are taken from local ecclesiastical parish information and has not been updated for 2011. Other areas without any population information is due to a lack of ecclesiastical parish information, mostly because the area has never been one and is included only due to it being an identifiable and distinct area according to Ordnance Survey maps.
|Placename||Council ward||Parliament||Population (2001)||Population (2011)||Postcode|
|Acaster Malbis||Bishopthorpe||York Outer||578||669||YO23|
|Acomb||Acomb, Westfield||York Central||21,419||22,215||YO24|
|Askham Bryan||Rural West York||York Outer||582||564||YO23|
|Askham Richard||Rural West York||York Outer||273||351||YO23|
|Copmanthorpe||Rural West York||York Outer||4,262||4,173||YO23|
|Crockey Hill||Wheldrake||York Outer||N/A||N/A||YO19|
|Dringhouses||Dringhouses & Woodthorpe||York Outer||10,733||11,084||YO24|
|Haxby||Haxby & Wigginton||York Outer||8,754||8,248||YO32|
|Hessay||Rural West York||York Outer||181||265||YO26|
|Huntington||Huntington & New Earswick||York Outer||9,277||9,371||YO31|
|Knapton||Rural West York||York Outer||222||-||YO26|
|Nether Poppleton||Rural West York||York Outer||2,077||2,141||YO26|
|New Earswick||Huntington & New Earswick||York Outer||2,812||2,737||YO32|
|Rawcliffe||Skelton, Rawcliffe and Clifton Without||York Outer||5,407||6,511||YO30|
|Rufforth||Rural West York||York Outer||560||-||YO26|
|Skelton||Skelton, Rawcliffe and Clifton Without||York Outer||1,640||1,549||YO31|
|South Bank||Micklegate||York Central||N/A||N/A||YO23|
|Stockton on the Forest||Strensall||York Outer||1,261||1,214||YO32|
|Tang Hall||Heworth||York Central||N/A||N/A||YO31|
|Upper Poppleton||Rural West York||York Outer||1,961||1,997||YO26|
|Wigginton||Haxby & Wigginton||York Outer||3,174||3,160||YO32|
|Woodthorpe||Dringhouses & Woodthorpe||York Outer||Not available||Not available||YO24|
|York City Centre||Guildhall, Micklegate||York Central||N/A||N/A||YO1|
- Royal Mail, Address Management Guide, (2004)
- "Bartholomew Gazetteer entry for YORK". www.visionofbritain.org.uk. Retrieved 17 May 2009.
- "Gazetteer of British Place Names – Map of the local government areas of Britain". www.gazetteer.co.uk. Retrieved 17 May 2009.
- "The North Yorkshire (District of York) (Structural and Boundary Changes) Order 1995". www.opsi.gov.uk. Retrieved 17 May 2009.
- "Council Meetings – City of York Council". democracy.york.gov.uk. Retrieved 17 May 2009.
- "York Press". Retrieved 3 June 2012.
- "Euro Parliament map". Retrieved 3 June 2012.
- "LocationDetails" (PDF). Fifth Periodical Report, Volume 4 Mapping for the Non-Metropolitan Counties and the Unitary Authorities. Boundary Commission For England. pp. 106–109. Retrieved 1 March 2011.
- "Census 2001". City of York 2001 Census Profile. City of York Unitary Authority. Retrieved 2 March 2010.
- "UK Census 2011". Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 27 September 2013.
- "2011 UK Census - Elvington Parish". Retrieved 22 September 2013.