York Outer (UK Parliament constituency)
for the House of Commons
|Electorate||72,739 (December 2019)|
|Major settlements||Huntington, Haxby, Rawcliffe, Clifton Without, Heslington|
|Member of Parliament||Julian Sturdy (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
Vale of York,
City of York,
The constituency is in the form of a ring surrounding the York Central constituency, and thus includes the outer areas of York itself and the surrounding rural areas. The Army's Queen Elizabeth Barracks, Strensall, and the former RAF Elvington and RAF Rufforth lie in the constituency. Residents' health and wealth are around average for the UK.
York Outer is formed from electoral wards from entirely within the city of York.
- Dringhouses and Woodthorpe
- Fulford and Heslington
- Haxby and Wigginton
- Heworth Without
- Hull Road (part)
- Huntington and New Earswick
- Rural West York
- Osbaldwick and Derwent
- Rawcliffe and Clifton Without
The name of the seat was subject to much discussion at the commission's public meetings, but no suitable alternative on which there was overall agreement could be found. Suggested alternatives such as "Greater York" or "County of York" were rejected as not reflecting the existence of the single Unitary Authority of York. Before 2019 local elections, most wards were evenly split between the Conservatives and Liberal Democrats, with Hull Road being the strongest Labour ward. Since the 2019 City of York Council elections, a Liberal Democrat-Green Coalition exists that hold a majority of city wards.
Members of Parliament
Elections in the 2010s
|Liberal Democrats||Keith Aspden||9,992||18.1||+7.8|
|Liberal Democrats||James Blanchard||5,910||10.3||-1.3|
|Liberal Democrats||James Blanchard||6,269||11.6||-24.5|
|Liberal Democrats||Madeleine Kirk||19,224||36.1||−0.7|
|Conservative gain from Liberal Democrats||Swing||+3.7|
- "Constituency data: electorates – House of Commons Library". Parliament UK. 15 June 2020. Retrieved 22 July 2020.
- Electoral Calculus https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/fcgi-bin/seatdetails.py?seat=York+Outer
- Maps Archived 5 June 2011 at the Wayback Machine provided by City of York Council
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "Y"
- "Parliamentary election results December 2019 : York Outer". City of York Council. 13 December 2019. Retrieved 13 December 2019.
- "Election 2019 : York Outer Parliamentary constituency". BBC News. 13 December 2019. Retrieved 13 December 2019.
- "Parliamentary election results June 2017". City of York Council. Retrieved 9 June 2017.
- "York Outer Parliamentary constituency - Election 2017". BBC News. Archived from the original on 12 June 2017. Retrieved 9 June 2017.
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Election 2015 : York Outer Parliamentary constituency". BBC News. Archived from the original on 13 May 2015. Retrieved 13 May 2015.
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 26 July 2013. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Election 2010 - York Outer". BBC News. Archived from the original on 11 July 2017. Retrieved 16 June 2017.
- Whitaker's Almanack 2012 : Parliamentary constituencies as at 6 May 2010 General Election : York Outer. Bloomsbury Publishing. October 2011. p. 179. ISBN 978-1408130124. Retrieved 15 December 2019.