York Outer (UK Parliament constituency)
for the House of Commons
Boundary of York Outer in North Yorkshire.
Location of North Yorkshire within England.
|Electorate||75,125 (December 2010)|
|Major settlements||Huntington, Haxby, Rawcliffe, Clifton Without, Heslington|
|Member of parliament||Julian Sturdy (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
Vale of York,
City of York,
|European Parliament constituency||Yorkshire and the Humber|
Following its review of parliamentary representation in North Yorkshire and the City of York, the Boundary Commission for England have recommended the creation of two new constituencies for the City of York which means the abolition of Vale of York, City of York and Selby seats.
York Outer is formed from electoral wards from entirely within the city of York.
- Osbaldwick and Derwent
- Dringhouses and Woodthorpe
- Fulford and Heslington
- Haxby and Wigginton
- Heworth Without
- Hull Road (part)
- Huntington and New Earswick
- Rural West York
- Rawcliffe and Clifton Without
The constituency is in the form of a ring surrounding the York Central constituency. The name of the seat was subject to much discussion at the Commission's public meetings, but no suitable alternative on which there was overall agreement could be found. Suggested alternatives such as "Greater York" or "County of York" were rejected as not reflecting the existence of the single Unitary Authority of York.
Members of Parliament
Elections in the 2010s
|General Election 2015: York Outer|
|Liberal Democrat||James Blanchard||6,269||11.6||-24.4|
|General Election 2010: York Outer|
|Liberal Democrat||Madeleine Kirk||19,224||36.1||−0.7|
|Conservative gain from Liberal Democrat||Swing||+3.7|
Notes and references
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Archived from the original on November 6, 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- Maps Archived June 5, 2011, at the Wayback Machine. provided by City of York Council
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "Y" [self-published source][better source needed]
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "York Outer". BBC News. Retrieved 13 May 2015.
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- BBC - Election 2010 - York Outer