Agathiyan is an Indian film director. He has won the National Film Award for Best Direction as well as the National Film Award for Best Screenplay in 1996 for the Tamil film Kaadhal Kottai. His daughter Vijayalakshmi Agathiyan made her acting debut in the Tamil film Chennai 600028 (2007). His elder daughter Karthika, host of Makkal TV, is married to Thiru, director of Theeratha Vilaiyattu Pillai and Samar.. His younger daughter Niranjani Ahathian is a Costume designer worked in kabali.
Ahahtian a director in his late forties entered films a decade back and struggled as an assistant to various directors. Hailing from an agriculturist family he spent a happy-go-lucky time in college, and when he decided to pack his bags and come to Chennai to try his luck in films as director, he lost his family's support. Struggling with no money he did odd jobs in film companies and became an assistant to anyone who offered him food and shelter.
Anbalaya Prabhakaran, who produces small budgeted films with new directors, gave Ahahtian his first break as a director with Madhumathi, a teenage love story with new faces. The film bombed and Ahatian was back to where he started but again fate had bigger things in store for him. Sivasakti films Pandian, a film distributor turned producer, produced Vanmathi with Ajith and Swathi. The film was a modest hit. Next came Kadhal Kottai from the same banner and Ahahtian became the toast of the industry. Offers poured in for films.
In late 2014, he began work on an untitled project produced by Bharathiraja featuring Santhosh Prathap, Oviya, Vijayalakshmi and Manoj Bharathiraja in the lead roles, but the film was later shelved.
|1991||Mangalyam Thanthuna Nae||Tamil|
|1996||Kaadhal Kottai||Tamil||N||N||National Film Award for Best Direction
National Film Award for Best Screenplay
Filmfare Award for Best Tamil Director
Remade in Kannada as Yaare Neenu Cheluve
Remade in Hindi as Sirf Tum
Dubbed in Telugu as Premalekha
|1996||Gokulathil Seethai||Tamil||N||N||Remade in Hindi as Hum Ho Gaye Aapke
Remade in Kannada as Krishna Leele
|2001||Hum Ho Gaye Aapke||Hindi||N||N|
|2002||Kadhal Samrajyam||Tamil||N||N||Unreleased film|
|2004||Ee Abbai Chala Manchodu||Telugu||N||N|
- 1997 – Best Direction – Kadhal Kottai
- 1997 – Best Screenplay – Kadhal Kottai
- 1997 – National Film Award for Best Feature Film in Tamil – Kadhal Kottai
- 1997 – Best Director – Kadhal Kottai
- 1996 – Best Director – Kadhal Kottai
- "IndiaGlitz - Agathiyan on the move - Tamil Movie News". IndiaGlitz.com. Retrieved 8 March 2017.
- "Thoranai, Vishal and Thiru - Behindwoods.com - Tamil Movies News - Thoranai Vishal Agathiyan". Behindwoods.com. Retrieved 8 March 2017.
- "Tamil Star - Profile". Archive.org. 22 December 2001. Retrieved 8 March 2017.
- "Welcome To Sify.com". Sify.com. Retrieved 8 March 2017.
- "Agathiyan to direct Bharathiraaja's film". ChennaiOnline.com. 25 September 2015. Retrieved 8 March 2017.
|This article about an Indian film director is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|